The Student Room Group

Working in NYC

Hi all, i haven't decided yet, but i'm thinking of taking a gap year since i don't know what i want to do with my life. I decided that if i do take a gap year NYC would be the best place to go since i have my aunt there ($500 a month apratment) and my cousins are also there (they could help me find a job). I just wanted to know what you guys think of this, i'm passionate about music and i would love to work in a record store in the village or something similar, what do you guys think of my chances there?
I worked in America last summer and you will probably need to get a visa from the US embassy in London to work over there. It's quite simple, you just book your appointment (I can't remember the exact cost but all in all approx £100 including the phone call to book-you get charged a fair bit and various fees) and you fill in the relevant forms, travel down on the day, have an interview, fingerprints taken e.t.c. and normally thats it. As for getting a job once you get there, I've no idea for New York or the area you wish to work in but I guess having family over there will help.
and I've just noticed you are from Mexico so forget everything I said about the US embassy in London! :biggrin:

Latest