The Student Room Group

McGill vs Warwick

I need help deciding on this one.

Ive been accepted to both, and Im being considered for a major scholarship at McGill but that can go either way...

McGill would be a complete change, new country and everything, completly taking me out of my comfort zone but that can be good for me surely? I have to get used to independance since i'v come from such a tight knit family.

I do have a boyfriend that lives in montreal but, that shouldnt effect my decision at all since i'v never met him and its an internet realtionship.

I was thinking more about the effect it will have on my CV.

Is warwick a better place? Or will the fact that i uprooted to go to a different country be a possitive aspect, especially if i brush up on my french while i'm there.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
v2006
lol you have a bf but never met him

Wow. What a helpful comment. :rolleyes:

You sound like you'd much rather go to McGill - at least, you're giving more reasons as to why you should go there. I'd say go with what you initially feel would be the right choice!
Reply 2
I am quite interested in McGill, do you mind if I ask how you went about getting a scholarship? Personally I would pick McGill, because Montreal is a really great place and Warwick/Leamington Spa isn't anything close to that. Also, the chance to live in a different country is a great opportunity that I think everyone should try at some point in their lives!
Based on course you intend to take, I'm gonna have to say Warwick.

McGill is brilliant, but it's better in Medicine and sciences than the course you have in mind.
Reply 4
taliasuri
Wow. What a helpful comment. :rolleyes:

You sound like you'd much rather go to McGill - at least, you're giving more reasons as to why you should go there. I'd say go with what you initially feel would be the right choice!

Thanks for your help, its appreciated

Butterfly
I am quite interested in McGill, do you mind if I ask how you went about getting a scholarship? Personally I would pick McGill, because Montreal is a really great place and Warwick/Leamington Spa isn't anything close to that. Also, the chance to live in a different country is a great opportunity that I think everyone should try at some point in their lives!

Thanks for you advice, its what I was thinking about :P Glad someone agrees.

Well, everyones considered for a scholarship when they apply. I applied specificly for a Major scholarship which I had to have 2 letters of reference sent in for and had to answer 3 essay questions about; my activities, then showing books i'v read and describing the significance of one of them and finally a 500 word one on what and where i see myself in 20 years time.

mizfissy815
Based on course you intend to take, I'm gonna have to say Warwick.

McGill is brilliant, but it's better in Medicine and sciences than the course you have in mind.

So if i chose cognitive science at McGill it would be the better choice as a science uni? Thanks for your advice
Reply 5
overall, in the world, McGill is 12th, Warwick is 57th. That help?

link
Reply 6
Barry Scott
overall, in the world, McGill is 12th, Warwick is 57th. That help?

link

What a disastrous ranking. Who ever heard of BU being ranked higher than NYU? And King's higher the LSE?

We are getting back into the discussion on league tables. Clearly, ranking universities on a worldwide basis is impossible, given the difference in education systems and the strong points of each university for example.
Reply 7
mcgill -- it has such a great international reputation and montreal is a wonderful city -- a really vibrant cultural environment. i don't think you should turn down mcgill/montreal for warwick unless it is for financial reasons. just my opinion.
Reply 8
Guys, I'm in a very similar situation. Could you please compare Management at Warwick and U of Toronto?
Reply 9
Kiss kool,

Go for Warwick. And don't think twice. Management is not Toronto's strongest course. There are less employers that visit/scout talents on campus at Toronto too compared to Warwick.
Reply 10
ILIGAN
Kiss kool,

Go for Warwick. And don't think twice. Management is not Toronto's strongest course. There are less employers that visit/scout talents on campus at Toronto too compared to Warwick.

Thank you. And how would Warwick go in comparison with UBC's Sauder business school?
Reply 11
I would still go for Warwick than UBC. Warwick is a target school for huge IB and Management Consulting firms such as McKinsey, JPMorgan, HSBC, Citi and like. If you really want a good business degree from a Canadian university, go to Richard Ivey or York-Schulich. But even them as choices, I would still go for Warwick. But that's just my personal preference.

Here’s the ranking of the best business schools in Canada:

1. Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario
2. Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Canada
3. McGill Faculty of Management, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4. Sauder School of Business, Univ of British Colombia, Vancouver, Canada
5. Queen's School of Business, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
6. Simon Fraser Univ, Faculty of Bus Admin, Burnaby, B.C., Canada
7. University of New Brunswick MBA, Saint John
8. University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business, Alberta
9. Faculty of Business, University of Victoria, British Colombia
10. Michael G. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Ontorio
McGill in a heartbeat.
1- It is a great academic institution that is on an Ivy league standard, actually nicknamed as the Harvard of Canada.
2- Campus is located right in downtown.
3- Montreal is one of the best cities in North America.
Reply 13
Hey "ILIGAN"

Where did you get the ranking for the best business schools in Canada? Thanks!
Reply 14
I'm also in a similar position except it's McGill and UBC...any comments on both unis and which one I should go to please?
Reply 15
shuantw
Hey "ILIGAN"

Where did you get the ranking for the best business schools in Canada? Thanks!

Kindly check your PM. The links are there. :smile:
Reply 16
im not sure if it helps but i am an international student from asia and i'm currently attending to the uni of Warwick.

I went to Canadian high school and got offers from Mcgill, U of T, Western Ontario, Queen's, Manchester, UCL, Warwick etc.(for Politics but UCL for econ) and eventually came to Warwick.

For my case, UK degree is more recognized than Canadian Degree when I go back to my home country so I eventually chose Warwick!!!

As someone mentioned, Rankings mean nothing. cuz top American universities and liberal arts colleges are not even ranked properly such as Georgetown(out of top 100 cuz they don't have graduate school) Williams,Swarthmore (out of Ranking) Boston College (usually recognized as way better than Boston University but small size = barely in top 100) etc..
Even LSE is ranked 59th as you know.

I'd have gone to UCL (9th in the world) If I consider rankings.

In conclusion, no doubt that both unis are excellent (Mcgill and Warwick):smile:
Reply 17
im having a similar problem. i cant decide which of these to go to:

warwick - history and politics
BU - advertising
mcgill - politics

any ideas on which to pick?
Reply 18
I dont think you can go wrong with any of those 3.

I'm headed to McGill..cheapest/great city/good reputation..good school
Reply 19
ILIGAN
I would still go for Warwick than UBC. Warwick is a target school for huge IB and Management Consulting firms such as McKinsey, JPMorgan, HSBC, Citi and like. If you really want a good business degree from a Canadian university, go to Richard Ivey or York-Schulich. But even them as choices, I would still go for Warwick. But that's just my personal preference.

Here’s the ranking of the best business schools in Canada:

1. Richard Ivey School of Business at the University of Western Ontario
2. Schulich School of Business, York University, Toronto, Canada
3. McGill Faculty of Management, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4. Sauder School of Business, Univ of British Colombia, Vancouver, Canada
5. Queen's School of Business, Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
6. Simon Fraser Univ, Faculty of Bus Admin, Burnaby, B.C., Canada
7. University of New Brunswick MBA, Saint John
8. University of Calgary, Haskayne School of Business, Alberta
9. Faculty of Business, University of Victoria, British Colombia
10. Michael G. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Ontorio

This ranking seems ridiculous to me. UofT Rotman School of Business is often rated in the top three in Canada it is an excellent school. Although, York has a pretty good business school this is just for getting an MBA. In general York is known to be much lower on the rankings for undergrad and is seen as a much lower class school to Canadians. It is also kinda ugly and in the middle of nowhere.

About the Canaidan schools you are considering I have visited them all several times and have many friends at all of them so I feel like I have some authority in my comments.

UBC- is an excellent school, but the campus is HUGE and more isolated from the city than McGill and UofT. It does benefit from having excellent weather and is great for outdoor sports. You can Surf and Ski in the same day. Because it is closer to Asia there is also a substantial Asian population.

McGill- also an amazing school, generally not seen as the best place for business it is known to be better for science (Queens/UofT/Richard Ivey are generally seen as better choices for Undergrad) However, it has an amazing international reputation you will find the most international students here, I think partly because of the lower drinking age - and is in a great European like city, but very french. It does get ridiculously cold in the winter (-20degrees for a few months and tons of snow). I have also heard that the administration can be difficult to deal with. It is also much smaller than UBC and UofT which is nice.

UofT- also great international reputation, but has fewer international students than McGill. The management buildings are also very new and located in a prime location on campus. It is in the middle of the city and for such a big school it is quite condensed. It also benefits from the college system which is a great way to make you university a better one. Many people complain that UofT is impersonal, but I find this to be an excuse for not trying to get involved.

Any of the above schools are great choices.

With regards to Warwick, I personal never heard of it until I started applying to schools overseas and none of my friends or professors from North America have heard of it, so I think one of the three Canadian schools are actually better choices for international reputation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending