The Student Room Group

Thinking of dropping an A2, opinions needed.

As the title says, I'm thinking of dropping A2 Geography.

At the moment, Im studying Maths, Physics, Geography and Biology. Last year I got a B on my Geography, 2 marks off an A. I repeated one module there, but would probably have to retake as it went badly (time management).

My geography class is a PAIN. We're only nearing completion on our FIRST module now, and will not finish it until the midterm, at the best. There is another module to do, and a Decision making paper to prepare for. Take into consideration the midterm, Easter Holidays, and random other days, there is approx 45 school days until we get off for study leave (8th May). My first geography exam is the 14th May, last is the 28th May.

This is very worrying! This is my teacher's first A-level class. Last year she only took one module, 2 days a week and another experienced, fantastic teacher took 2 modules 3 days a week, but recently became a vice principal leaving the other teacher to take the full A2. Last year, even though she only had one module, she rushed to complete it, and barely did so. I mean barely, as in handing out sheets at last minute to teach ourselves. This year she talks constantly, and wastes time. She moans about homeworks not being handed up, yet never marks the ones I give her. Its a joke.

So here's my dilemia. I don't need geography to get into my desired University course. I could just cash in my points now, and be done with it, right? Is there a point in me struggling with geography, probably fail to this mockery of a teacher which will bring down my other grades? I really could use the extra time for my other subjects.

I spoke to my mum about it there, and she was furious. She thinks im ridiclious to try and drop it now. I know my Dad will be the same, and my school with have an uproar. Do you think I should go ahead and try to drop it?

I really need opinions here! Sorry for this being so long but....yeah.
Reply 1
I think you need to ring all the universities you've applied to and ask them if they would mind you dropping it as their offers are based on the fact you are taking four a levels this year.

Have you spoken to another member of staff at school? I had similar problems with a teacher last year (didn't teach anything for half a term) and when we formally complained to the head of sixth form he was replaced by substitute teachers til the end of the year. It might be they can do soemthing to encourage her/get the class caught up if you let them know there are problems
if i were you i would drop it

you will only need 3 a levels for your university and is it really worth damaging your more important subjects just to end up with 4 ok grades instead of 3 really good grades because you will have had more time to study for them and less stress

if you really want to keep geography tho i would also suggest speaking to the head of 6th form although i would complain even if i did drop it
To play on the other side it could be your safty net, what happens if there a really bad paper for Physics for example and you need AAA but u got AAB or AAC?.. Where you may get AAAC with thanks to Geography, or if you get AABB there may take the 2 BB as an A and accept you in.

Over all it's up to you but indeed do phone the Unis you picked to ask if it's ok then decide :smile:.

Latest