The Student Room Group

Is double maths regarded as a subject?

Hello, all

I'm in year 11. Currently deciding my AS options.

I was wondering, if double maths is regarded as another AS in part of your medical offer?

I really want to study medicine and if i'm to be honest i don't think double maths really appeals to me and i wasn't even sure if it counted as another subject.

Any help would be great.

Some do some don't. Check each schools requirements. I know for a fact Manchester don't count it as two subjects.
Reply 2
Oh right thanks :smile:. Did you do double maths?

By the way congratulations on your application. It is seems absolutely idealic!!!

Do you know which university you prefer?
Im doing double maths :p:

the unis i've looked at seem to say they wont consider double maths as two different subjects so its up to you whether you want to do it really. I chose to do it just for a challenge....but note i also still did an extra AS regardless (physics)
3107a
Oh right thanks :smile:. Did you do double maths?

By the way congratulations on your application. It is seems absolutely idealic!!!

Do you know which university you prefer?

Shucks!

I didn't do double maths but my teacher continually tells me i'm better than the majority of the class and i'd probably be joint third behind a guy who got into oxford for engineering and the legend that is Alfred (a super genius form China).

Thanks on the congratulations! Can't believe it to be honest. I was always the one at my college that got told not apply because i didn't stand a chance so a few teachers are eating their words right now!

I prefer Nottingham which is going to be my firm. Might have to ponder over my insurance.
Reply 5
Ah right thanks for the help FF crusader.
Yeh, i think i probably won't do double maths and try and concentrate on the sciences and french (i want to do this outside of school because i love it). But the school only give four options in school. Chemistry = compulsory (for medic) and maths i'm quite good at. Biology i love and is becoming increasingly important and many people keep telling me that physics is really helpful.

Anyway, somehow i went really off topic. Thanks for the help and good luck with your interview at King's
3107a
Yeh, i think i probably won't do double maths and try and concentrate on the sciences and french (i want to do this outside of school because i love it). But the school only give four options in school. Chemistry = compulsory (for medic) and maths i'm quite good at. Biology i love and is becoming increasingly important and many people keep telling me that physics is really helpful.

Anyway, somehow i went really off topic. Thanks for the help and good luck with your interview at King's

No problem :biggrin:
yeah do what you think you suit you best and will get you the best grades! ive got further maths A2 to do this summer and its actually quite hard...from what ive seen anyways and i've only just started that bit :s-smilie:

thanks for the luck i think im gonna need it xD
3107a

i wouldn't do the further maths if i were you, if you did realistically it'd have to be a 5th one. also if you'd rather do french than physics just do it, nowhere except a couple of colleges at cambridge need four sciences. you'll do better all round if you're not trying to moonlight as well. personally i think it looks better to have a bit of arts action going on at least at AS.
Reply 8
bright star
i wouldn't do the further maths if i were you, if you did realistically it'd have to be a 5th one. also if you'd rather do french than physics just do it, nowhere except a couple of colleges at cambridge need four sciences. you'll do better all round if you're not trying to moonlight as well. personally i think it looks better to have a bit of arts action going on at least at AS.

Not even Cambridge needs 4 sciences - a couple of colleges need 3, but that's all.
that's what i meant. too early in the morning :s:
Reply 10
double maths is only really necessary/important if you plan to do maths, engineering or physics at university.
if it doesnt appeal to you then teres no way you should do it. it will be a lot harder than regular work, and you will have a lot more lessons of it and therefore have to spend a lot more time doing maths.
i think most unis say that they will only include one of maths or FM in an offer so you would have to do 4 Alevel/ 5AS then
i do it as a challenge, and cos if i get an A then i beat the entire rest of my family!
Reply 12
Ok thanks for the help everyone

I've decided

double maths = no no :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending