The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ouragon
thats what my chem teach asked me!!! do the unis look at the dates of the exams??

They see the time between your GCSE results and entrance to uni. If its 3 years, your classed as a resit.
Reply 2
ouragon
thats what my chem teach asked me!!! do the unis look at the dates of the exams??

Yes they do.
Reply 3
but my friend dropped out his first college.... didnt do the exams does that make him a resit?
also another friend of mine he just went straight to work at a bank but then went bk to college...are these resits?
Reply 4
ouragon
but my friend dropped out his first college.... didnt do the exams does that make him a resit?
also another friend of mine he just went straight to work at a bank but then went bk to college...are these resits?

The simplistic version is:

If he has3 years or more between GCSE result and A-Level result then you are classed as resit. Doing GCSEs and A-levels with 2 years between results then working doesn't make you a resit. It makes you a mature student.
Reply 5
thanks a bit confused tho..... do all courses bother about resits or is it only med/dent/vet? coz he did his gcses, didnt want to go to uni so got a job, decided he wanted to go to uni so then went bk to college. so thats 3 yrs between gcses n a levels
Reply 6
ouragon
thanks a bit confused tho..... do all courses bother about resits or is it only med/dent/vet? coz he did his gcses, didnt want to go to uni so got a job, decided he wanted to go to uni so then went bk to college. so thats 3 yrs between gcses n a levels

It's usually only in med/dent/vet that these things matter - because they are the only ones which are that competitive that retaking/taking longer than usual is a big deal. And, of course, theoretically strongly academic courses...
Reply 7
so if you were to resit an AS module in January before your a-level exams, the university wouldn't know?
Reply 8
Hawk
so if you were to resit an AS module in January before your a-level exams, the university wouldn't know?

No I doubt it...I resat several modules during my A levels, no problems...
Reply 9
But what if you had to do your a levels in two separate "sittings" because of a medical problem? And what if you didnt know what you wanted to do when you first picked your subjects?

...And what happens if you are a "resit student"?

I'm a combination of the above so is there any chance at all of getting a place?

Should I give up now and go work at McDonald's?

I'm so confused!!
Reply 10
bobndave
But what if you had to do your a levels in two separate "sittings" because of a medical problem? And what if you didnt know what you wanted to do when you first picked your subjects?

I'm a combination of the above so is there any chance at all of getting a place?

I'm so confused!!

Hmm that's a toughie. But don't give up just yet! Quite a few medical schools will accept applications from people with all sorts of academic history/qualifications. In my year there's a former musician (aged over 40!), an artist and several more.

Try calling/emailing the admissions tutors at a few universities and explaining your situation, and see what they say. As a general rule they will make exceptions for any kind of medical problem and not having the right subjects is rarely, if ever, a problem (if all else fails you can do a 6 year course with a foundation science yr - Sheffield and Manchester definitely offer these, not sure who else does). How these two will combine with the resit business I am less sure about...

Good luck!
Reply 11
bobndave
But what if you had to do your a levels in two separate "sittings" because of a medical problem?

Almost all uni's will be sympathetic to this. Explain the problem, get the relevant doctors note/teachers note or whatever, and this should be fine.

bobndave
And what if you didnt know what you wanted to do when you first picked your subjects?

There are options at almost every medical school to do a pre-med year where you are brought up to speed with all the things you are expected to know when you enter medical school as a science student.

Alternatively, you could go via graduate entry, which a large number of people do.

bobndave

You will probably be classed as a resit student, however, you WILL NOT face the difficulties and setbacks which a normal resit student has as you have extenuating circumstances. As a general rule, resit students are at a disadvantage.

bobndave

Yes, there is every chance. You just need to put the right amount of work and effort in, do plenty of research, and call up and talk to as many admissions staff etc at different uni's and explain your situation, and get their different views, perspectives and admissions policies.

bobndave

I'm so confused!!

Don't be confused, its not that confusing. Just follow and learn from the advice you are being given.
Reply 12
Thanks for all your help! I'm not so confused now :tongue: I'll call up some unis and see what they say.

*fingers crossed*

(Btw, I didnt mention in my last message, but I've just gone back to college to do chem and bio A level, so I'll be alright on the science front!)

Thanks again :smile: :smile:
Reply 13
but what if you don't have any "extenuating circumstances"? what do you do then- is it even possible to get into a university??!
bobndave

I'm so confused!!

Get a letter explaining your circumstances from your doctor and send it with your UCAS form.

I'm resitting my second A-level year because I was ill and didn't get grades good enough to get into vet school the first time I applied. Since, I've got a conditional offer, and at the interview they told me that my reasons for resitting were perfectly valid. However, I do believe that the offer they have made me has been upped grades-wise because I am a resit candudate, so beware of that!

Usually no more than 2 resits are allowed in the whole of your A-levels- thats 2 modules in all of your subjects, not 2 modules per subject :smile: (or at least that's what Liverpool veterinary department said so I'm assuming it's similar at most institutions)

I hope this is coherant. I'm too tired!

L

Latest