The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd suggest Biology, if you're considering Medicine that's the most useful, and Philosophy to show you can write good essays, which would be very good for Law.
Biology is best for Medicine.

For Law, any of the three.

Sciency, one of the Sciences.

Seeing as Biology ticks all three boxes, I'd recommend that one. :smile:
I'm sure Biology will give you good practice at memorising random ****. Physics or philosophy will only help you think which is quite unnecessary.
Reply 4
smileitcouldbeworse
I want to keep my options open career-wise for Law, Medicine or something Science-y, so I'm taking Chemistry and Maths, but what should I take for my other 2 out of Biology, Physics and Philosophy? (By the way I could still study Physics with just taking Maths.)

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

how?
anyway, i think biology and philosophy would be best considering those career options.
Reply 5
Biology, then either out of Philosophy or Physics would suit you fine.... perhaps Philosophy to give more variety and to get an essay subject in there.
I'd say take Biology and Physics.

The 3 sciences and maths leave practically all your options open.
Reply 7
have to say biology is very boring in my opinion, but if you want to get into medicine, i really would take it. i think philosophy is slightly less necessary for law, but i really wouldn't know
Reply 8
bio and philo
Reply 9
PhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysics

I took it just for s** ts and giggles really at the start of year 12, best decision I ever made.
I'd go the physics and biology root personally, taking all 3 sciences and maths pretty much means you're able to do a wide range of degrees and i would say that the sciences are generally more respected than Philosophy.

But at the end of the day i think its important you take subjects that you think you will enjoy the most otherwise you could find yourself doing subjects you don't really have that much of an interest in and start kicking yourself for not taking something else.
If I were you, I'd choose what I thought I would enjoy most- it's fine to take a subject to help you with your career, but if you really don't like it, it's one of the worst things in the world.

But if you enjoy all of these subjects, I'd say probably go for biology and physics.
Biology is a definite, personally I wouldn't go for Physics as if you decide that sciences aren't the direction you want to take, you'll be stuck with nothing but with your A level choices. Philosophy would be excellent for Law, and also for Medicine - alot of Med schools are looking for applicants with arts or essay subjects at A level now, alongside science subjects obviously.
karmenchiu
how?
anyway, i think biology and philosophy would be best considering those career options.

oh by the cambridge natural science tripos thing - to study Physics as part of your course you need Maths + either Physics or Further Maths, and because I'm taking Maths where you can get it in one year then take FM the next year I could take either :smile:

whoa thanks for your help people!!!!!!!I'm definetely taking Bio then!!!!
smileitcouldbeworse
oh by the cambridge natural science tripos thing - to study Physics as part of your course you need Maths + either Physics or Further Maths, and because I'm taking Maths where you can get it in one year then take FM the next year I could take either :smile:

whoa thanks for your help people!!!!!!!I'm definetely taking Bio then!!!!

I wouldn't really rely on that.... officially that might be what Cambs say, but in reality the vast, vast majority of NatSci applicants have at least 3 science A-levels (meaning out of maths, further maths, bio, chem, physics) and you'll probably be disadvantaged with just Maths and Further Maths if you want to do Physics.
Reply 15
Excalibur
I wouldn't really rely on that.... officially that might be what Cambs say, but in reality the vast, vast majority of NatSci applicants have at least 3 science A-levels (meaning out of maths, further maths, bio, chem, physics) and you'll probably be disadvantaged with just Maths and Further Maths if you want to do Physics.

but shes doing chemistry (and now probably biology) so that would mean 4 sciences
karmenchiu
but shes doing chemistry (and now probably biology) so that would mean 4 sciences

Sorry, forgot about that :redface: And yes, you can still study Physics with just double maths. I'd imagine the course would be difficult, though, without A-level Physics....
Reply 17
smileitcouldbeworse

The thing is if you did decide to apply for physics/natsci you are putting your hopes into one uni. More importantly, a uni with a stupidly high amount of competition :p:. Every other uni worth its name won't even look at you without A-level physics.

My advice would be that if you are even considering applying for physics take it for A-level.
Biology and philosophy, this will keep your options open. Good choices! Or instead of philosophy take economics, which would widen your options even more, and is just a brilliantly interesting subject!
jobo3
PhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysicsPhysics

I took it just for s** ts and giggles really at the start of year 12, best decision I ever made.

how come?

:smile: well now I don't know...if I took Physics it would mean no Further Maths, and I could take it at other Universities...if I took Philosophy plus either Biology or Physics, would it count against me at Oxbridge compared to taking both the science subjects?

Latest