The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anybody to third it? :flute:
[QUOTE="Craghyrax"]
The Secretary General issues an apology to Captain Biggles. The charter allows a poll to be added right at the start of a resolution. The restriction that applies is on the number of days a poll can last (3) and the maximum number of days debate should last (7). As we usually wait a while before adding polls, I assumed it was a rule before checking. Humble apologies.

Not a problem. I think it probably was the best idea to leave it for a couple of days to debate the resolution than dive into voting. :cool:
Reply 22
Craghyrax

I like the suggestion that each member research and find an international issue key to their country at the moment, and present it to the GA. I think that's not very difficult to ask. I don't think I would encourage any form of penalisation for not submitting a topic. What I would support is introducing a practice of each introducing one key issue a week. I am happy to send a PM round at the start of every week reminding people to bring something. If it then becomes habit for everybody I can stop PMing.

My disapproval of this course of action is documented, however it is but a mild disapproval. We shall have to see how it goes. I missed the poll as i was away which is depressing.

The key issue for me as Liechtenstein is the definition of "legal issue key to their country" however since I note there is another thread further up that I haven't got to I doubtless will find that my qualms have been answered.
ukebert
My disapproval of this course of action is documented, however it is but a mild disapproval. We shall have to see how it goes. I missed the poll as i was away which is depressing.

The key issue for me as Liechtenstein is the definition of "legal issue key to their country" however since I note there is another thread further up that I haven't got to I doubtless will find that my qualms have been answered.

I already mentioned to Nefarious that people will only be asked to do what reasonably can be asked of them considering the position they fill. Nefarious holds Tonga, you Liechtenstein. If there is no news to report, then nobody can expect you to do so. As long as you're active in other respects its fine. Its the sort of issue that I'd be hesitant to make rules about..the initiative is to encourage people who do represent nations with issues that do need discussion to bring those things to the table. Smaller fringe nations can then help by contributing to those discussions.
I'm not sure about the opinion of others here, but I think this poll may require to be either re-opened for another 'x many days' or a new thread created - only 5 people voted, myself included. :confused:
Reply 25
That's normal. Irritatingly. I was away so I missed the poll, but generally we have 6 or 7.
ukebert
That's normal. Irritatingly. I was away so I missed the poll, but generally we have 6 or 7.

It was only 'valid' for 2 days or so after discussion since I set a timer for 5 days, I think. :confused: And it's quite close...:s-smilie:
The poll has been opened once more and I've blanked out all the previous votes.

Captain Biggles, you cannot set a resolution poll to last for 5 days. The section regarding resolution procedure is very short in the charter. One of the conditions it stipulates is that polls for resolutions may last for no more than three days. As both the first and second attempts at the poll have encountered problems, we'll give it a last shot. I have set it to close in three days time. Please don't try 'freezing' it or any such, as that would also be problematic.
Craghyrax
The poll has been opened once more and I've blanked out all the previous votes.

Captain Biggles, you cannot set a resolution poll to last for 5 days. The section regarding resolution procedure is very short in the charter. One of the conditions it stipulates is that polls for resolutions may last for no more than three days. As both the first and second attempts at the poll have encountered problems, we'll give it a last shot. I have set it to close in three days time. Please don't try 'freezing' it or any such, as that would also be problematic.

Thanks for that, Craggy. :biggrin: Hopefully we'll get a better representation of everyone's views in the GA this time around. :cool:
Captain Biggles
Thanks for that, Craggy. :biggrin: Hopefully we'll get a better representation of everyone's views in the GA this time around. :cool:

No problem.
Reply 30
*ahem* Public? :p:
ukebert
*ahem* Public? :p:

Its the same poll started by CB, with a bit of tweaking done to it. I can't change that option unfortunately. All I've managed to do was to adjust the times on it and open or close it. I can't edit some things unless I'm a supermod/admin.

For future reference all, please make resolution polls public.
Reply 32
Craghyrax
Its the same poll started by CB, with a bit of tweaking done to it. I can't change that option unfortunately. All I've managed to do was to adjust the times on it and open or close it. I can't edit some things unless I'm a supermod/admin.

Ah right. In that case they need to make you a supermod ;yes;
Craghyrax

Noted. :p:
Captain Biggles
Noted. :p:

Craghyrax

Looks like it has been successful. Now then, I feel we should initiate this straight away and get the MUN thriving again. :biggrin:

Any objections?
Captain Biggles
Any objections?

I do have a few, actually. Sorry to leave this so long unanswered. I've only been able to sort out the most basic maintenance MUN needs the last two weeks, as I had, for instance, 3 essays to read and write last week and about 2hrs of sleep a night :stickyman
Captain Biggles
Calls for:

all representatives to come forward with 2 or more issues of relevancy in a calendar month

Already implemented.
Captain Biggles

all representatives to be active and willing to participate in regular intelligent debate for the good of the countries the MUN serves

Captain Biggles

a minimum level of activity to maintain an 'active' MUN membership (outwith point (i) )

What does 'outwith point 1 mean? Sorry :ninja: In principle I oppose a minimun activity level being implemented, because at times its hard to find topics to be active over that are relevant to the structure and needs of the MUN. I've backed and implemented the first one you suggested by popular demand, and so as not to discourage trying out new things and people coming with fresh ideas. By and large though, I think its difficult, and it also puts people off a little by making them feel pressurised. Additionally it just doesn't work! People will always be able to find excuses. It can't really be punished. Also it doesn't get to the real issue, which is that MUN needs to be lively/involved enough that you don't need to make people do anything because it happens automatically.
Captain Biggles

a temporary reward-based system to increase active participation based on reputation points/subscription, active for 3 months of MUN session.

I oppose this idea on similar ground to the above. Reputation is a very bad incentive and can encourage gold-digging rather than authentic quality debaters. This was the GA feeling on the matter a few months ago, after we ended our Member of the Month rep award after one of our major members left after a rep ban by the mods. If people feel they'd like a referendum on this matter, I will start a thread and set up a poll? Let me know.
Captain Biggles

Recommends that steps be taken to remove a member incapable of meeting this resolution without just cause for 3 months;.

This mechanism already exists in the hidden roll calls I utilise once every few weeks. Those who aren't active enough to notice it, get removed.
Captain Biggles

Trusts the MUN representatives to actively promote a thriving MUN Society.

Hear hear!
Reply 37
Craghyrax
This mechanism already exists in the hidden roll calls I utilise once every few weeks. Those who aren't active enough to notice it, get removed.

Every few weeks? I haven't noticed them :s-smilie:

Objections identical to Craggys bar the first point which I am also opposed to :smile:
Craghyrax
What does 'outwith point 1 mean? Sorry :ninja: In principle I oppose a minimun activity level being implemented, because at times its hard to find topics to be active over that are relevant to the structure and needs of the MUN. I've backed and implemented the first one you suggested by popular demand, and so as not to discourage trying out new things and people coming with fresh ideas. By and large though, I think its difficult, and it also puts people off a little by making them feel pressurised. Additionally it just doesn't work! People will always be able to find excuses. It can't really be punished. Also it doesn't get to the real issue, which is that MUN needs to be lively/involved enough that you don't need to make people do anything because it happens automatically.

"Outwith point 1" really meant "above and beyond point 1".

Looking back, I think the idea of the resolution was to get some interest sparked back up in the MUN society and was possible a spur of the moment thing. But at least we know 4 people want to take some measures to combat the flatline of activity. :biggrin:
Reply 39
Craghyrax

Now I see it :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending