The Student Room Group

When To Apply for a Ski Job?

Hey,

I'm planning on having a gap year with a mate this year.

This summer we'll work here, till september or october, and we're interested in working at a ski resort (Chalet host like for "jobs for couples"), in the Alps after that.

I've got a few questions;

Firstly, how much French do we have to know?

Secondly, does anyone know when the season starts and ends in the Alps?

And Thirdly, if we're wishing to get a job in october, when should we apply for one? We could apply now, or we could wait till summer...

I have no idea about gap years what so ever, so your help is really apreciated :wink:

C_B_C
The length of a typical ski season depends on where abouts you go, how much snow there is etc. But usually a season lasts from early dec right through until april. But depending on snow conditions resorts may stay open longer, or be unable to stay open so long. So if you are looking for season work it is unlikely you will start as early as Oct.

Most places require at least a basic knowledge of french, others specify that a good knowlede of the language is essential. You will have to check each job specification really. But I'd say a basic knowlede of french would be needed for work in the french alps.

I think the summer is the best time to look for jobs, or at least from april onwards (ie after this season is finished) but I have seen some places looking for staff for the 08/09 season. the earlier you find a good job and secure it the better, instead of waiting till the last minute running around hoping to find something.

Well I hope I have at least been some help. Check out http://www.natives.co.uk/ for some basic info.

:smile:

Latest