The Student Room Group

Very late applications

Hi,

I wasn't going to go to uni this year but after much thought I'd like to try and get in this year if possible, although now know I've missed the 15th Jan deadline (by a whole month :frown: ) Is it still worth me applying to the places I wanted to go to (to do mental health nursing)? Has anyone ever applied this late and got in before? Also if I do apply and they reject me, would it mean I couldnt apply to the same uni again come clearing time? Don't want to burn my bridges if that makes sense? Am going to apply to some access courses too just incase I don't get in this year for academic reasons that I haven't missed the boat. Thats for a different thread though.
Reply 1
ok firstly are u a home/eu student? I would presume you are, so the deadline of 15 January applies to you.

ucas applications that are submitted after 15 January are tagged "late" and will still be submitted to your college choice, however it will be their perogative (the universities you have chosen) to decide whether they still want to consider your application or not.Thois differs from college to college, as well as from courses to courses. My suggestion is to ask or email the college/department directly and ask them. Be sure to come up with a reasonable explanation as to why you are applying at such a late stage.

If not, you can check out clearing around June, when collegse and universities will put up courses that still have vacancies within and you will have to fast in bidding for such courses. Usually places are limited, but offers would likely be lower than typical offers. I heard that sometimes you are able to get a great bargain out of this, and considering mental health nursing isnt a particularly popular course, im sure there would be vacancies in clearing. Be sure to check this out.
Reply 2
Hi Yonanz,

I am indeed a home student, I'm English just living in Dublin at the moment. Thanks so much for your help.

I'll try contacting the universities directly to see whether they will still consider my application. If not I guess I'll apply for one so I get the rejection and then can go through clearing in June. Cheers for all your help!

Has anyone else had any luck with applying at such a late stage?
Reply 3
You can just apply for Clearing if you apply in June, so don't think you need to get rejected. But Clearing itself isn't until August.

However, you have to remember that UCAS Extra starts soon. It would be worth getting everything ready now but not sending your application yet, and then when Extra opens you can apply only to unis in Extra. That way you know they have spaces on the course.

You would still be a late applicant and would not officially be using Extra, but since they have spaces they'd probably still consider you. You would still need to ask them if they'd consider you first before applying.
Reply 4
Is there any difference between sending your application now and after extra? Or are your chances higher now?

Also do we have to declare our AS grades if we already have our alevels? If we do, what about if we retake AS with our Alevels, how should that be entered?
Reply 5
Chances would be higher during Extra, because then you know which unis still have spaces and can apply only to them. If you wait til after Extra then everywhere will have filled their spaces. If you apply now then unis don't have to consider you, and if they haven't decided whether they'll be entering Extra then they might not.

I'm not answering the A Levels question since that has been answered hundreds of times already.
Reply 6
If you get rejected by a university and they appear in extra for the same subject, can you apply again?
Reply 7
v2006
If you get rejected by a university and they appear in extra for the same subject, can you apply again?

I'm fairly sure that you can't, because UCAS won't let you. But even if you could you'd probably get rejected again for the same reason as last time.
v2006

I think you would be better off ringing them first-- actually, that goes for any application via Extra. It's better than blindly sending it off and they can often give you an indication whether they would accept you before submitting your app. This is especially useful if you already hold offers!

Latest

Trending

Trending