The Student Room Group

Going from HND to a Degree

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I'm currently due to start a BTEC HND in Electrical Engineering at Manchester Met in September which lasts for two years, and after this I want to top it up to a degree. How would I go about doing this? Do I have to wait until i'm in my second year of the HND and then re-apply? I'm pretty confused at the moment, I've looked through Man Met's website but I was unable to get any useful information from there. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
If you do very well in your 1st year of HND you may find that you have the option of going onto the 2nd year of a degree course. However, this is dependent on your course and institution.

If after the 2 years HND you still want to pursue the subject you should be able to simply speak to MMU and arrange a transfer.
Reply 2
Ah, ok thanks mate. Also, say for example if after completing the two years of the HND and then I transferred to the Degree, how long would I actually be studying the Degree course for?
You'd be on the degree course for the same length as everyone else. For the most part it would be 3 years.

Do your best to cut out that year though, then you're on the same footing as everyone else. If you can work really hard in the 1st year (unlike everyone else!) then you'll be fine.
I went from an HND into a 3rd year top-up course, meaning I completed a HND in 2 years, then topped up to degree - BA (Hons) in one year, though I am not studying anything related to electrical engineering. (Marketing) So I transferred from 2nd year to 3rd year, though my boyfriend studied for 2 years on an HND, and then had to do 2 years on the degree course to get BA (Hons), so I think it varies.
Most common (as far as I am aware) is to complete the HND, and the go straight into second year of a degree.
So in total, 4 years. 2 years HND, 2 years Degree.

Probably depends on subject though.
Reply 6
I'm planning to do the HND, then third year of a degree course myself..
Reply 7
Thanks for the feedback mates.

Latest

Trending

Trending