The Student Room Group

French Oral topic !

Hey..
i need some help choosing a topic for my french oral exam which is on monday of next week !
I generally dont give a %*$^ for French but since this is the real deal and all i thought i shuld give it some sort of preperation...
do you guys have any ideas on what i should talk about??
The criteria is that:
-) Francophonic
-) quite specific

for example for my mock orals i did mine on how Cheb Khaled (algerian singer) portrays women in his music...
but that was too specific :p:(said my teacher) id like something a littlle more general but still specific enough. help would be greatttly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 1
i did the americanisation of the french language which also inclded french americanisation in general and quebec etc.
was AMAZING and i loved it, once i got my teeth into it!
could now rant for hours to family/friends about it!
got loads of info too!!
people in my class did:
Brigitte Bardou, tour de France, ski industry in france, french rap music, chanel, degas, joan of arc, segelene royale, presidential elections of 2007
all got quite good marks, cos the topics werent the normal 'la laicite' or similar!
Reply 2
i was talking about AS orals btw
Reply 3
La Bretagne ^^.
Not too specific as there is a wide range of thing you can talk about :
- culture
- music
- religion
- traditions
- cooking (lol)
- language
Etc.

You can also compare Bretagne/Uk as they have roots in common, like for music and language (our anthem is the same than the Welsh and Cornish anthem (except for lyrics, lol)). But we do have a lot of traditions, and there is a lot of interesting stuff you can talk about. However, if you need help about your topic, I can help ^^.
Reply 4
i'm doing my AS german on family in germany, this isn't too specific, like birth rates vs. death rate, average age of population in x-amount of years, types of families in germany vs. types in england e.g. nuclear families, single-parent families etc. why population is decreasing, and then talk about why women are choosing work over a family

i guess you could change this to french

but not specific then you could talk about almost anything, we were told we had to pick one of our unit 1 topics though
Reply 5
I did a presentation on the history of Quebec and the differences between Quebecois French and the French of France for my AS oral. Plenty of material in that and it can be as specific as you want.
Reply 6
you can do something that you've covered in the course?

I did tennis in France for french (and drug smuggling in Spain for spanish).

just do something that interests you, the language you use is more important than the content of what you say though so don't worry too much about it!
Reply 7
Crazy_emz
I did a presentation on the history of Quebec and the differences between Quebecois French and the French of France for my AS oral. Plenty of material in that and it can be as specific as you want.

Ooh, that sounds an interesting one. I may think of doing that one myself :smile:
Reply 8
Ooh, that sounds an interesting one. I may think of doing that one myself

It's really interesting, especially looking at the differences in language. Or you could take a different slant and focus more on nationalism in Quebec.
Reply 9
Crazy_emz
It's really interesting, especially looking at the differences in language. Or you could take a different slant and focus more on nationalism in Quebec.

Yeah, I have a partic. interest in linguistics as well. Although perhaps focusing on nationalism more would be better, as it'd perhaps be easier talking about that than explaining language differences etc? How did you find yours went in terms of talking about the language differences?
Reply 10
Yeah, I have a partic. interest in linguistics as well. Although perhaps focusing on nationalism more would be better, as it'd perhaps be easier talking about that than explaining language differences etc? How did you find yours went in terms of talking about the language differences?

Well, it was only for AS, so I just babbled on about some Quebec idioms and the difference in the usage of 'tu' and 'vous'. There's loads more I could have said, but I didn't have time (I had to slash the length of my presentation by more than half to meet the timings).
Reply 11
There are lots of things to tell about that, lol.
They use lots of different words that don't exist in France, their pronunciation is a lot different from our, like instead of "tu" they say "tsu" and things like that. They also use a lot of american words, but the best exemple to compare is maybe this website. Just listen one or two videos, lol, you'll see the difference ... (Actually, a lot of French don't understand Québéquois (me, lol)).
Crazy_emz
Well, it was only for AS, so I just babbled on about some Quebec idioms and the difference in the usage of 'tu' and 'vous'. There's loads more I could have said, but I didn't have time (I had to slash the length of my presentation by more than half to meet the timings).

Ah right, thanks.

Anatheme
There are lots of things to tell about that, lol.
They use lots of different words that don't exist in France, their pronunciation is a lot different from our, like instead of "tu" they say "tsu" and things like that. They also use a lot of american words, but the best exemple to compare is maybe this website. Just listen one or two videos, lol, you'll see the difference ... (Actually, a lot of French don't understand Québéquois (me, lol)).

Thanks! :smile:

I'm also thinking about Montréal instead of Québec perhaps, but I don't know...
I did mine on immigration from North Africa into France...was quite interesting because it was just after Sarkozy got voted in, and he's been criticised a lot for being hard on immigration.
cookiedoughmonster
I did mine on immigration from North Africa into France...was quite interesting because it was just after Sarkozy got voted in, and he's been criticised a lot for being hard on immigration.

I'm sort of doing immigration for my c/work, otherwise I'd love to do that; there's so much to talk about.

Latest

Trending

Trending