The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't choose either if you dislike them. You might end up living there for 3 years.
If you have no alternative to choosing between them, Lancaster is better, it is a traditional university rather than an ex-poly and therefore has a better reputation.
Reply 2
Lancaster (but if you don't like either why do you have to have one of these as your insurance?)
Reply 3
silk192
after receiving my offers and re-visiting them i realised that i disliked both. which one do you think would be a better insurance choice.

Neither. I've seen enough choosing university posts to know that it is absolutely pointless choosing an insurance you won't be happy going to. Just think it through logically. If you fail to get into your first choice, would you prefer to go to Nottingham Trent or Lancaster, or try your luck through clearing? If you'd prefer to go through clearing there's no point in having an insurance choice as all you're doing is setting yourself up for endless ringing around trying to get yourself released if you miss your grade.

So even though you may like the safety of an insurance, if all you'll do is get released and go into clearing, skip the middle step and have no insurance. The result will be the same if you miss your grade, only if you have no insurance you'll get first pick of the best universities in clearing.
Reply 4
kftjkp
Lancaster (but if you don't like either why do you have to have one of these as your insurance?)

because i dont want to go through the hassle of clearing if i miss my offer for my firm
Reply 5
silk192
because i dont want to go through the hassle of clearing if i miss my offer for my firm

No, if you don't want to go to either, go through clearing it's better than ending up somewhere unhappy.

But in answer to your question, I would go for Lancaster.
Reply 6
Reputation wise, Nottm Trent.
Reply 7
v2006
Reputation wise, Nottm Trent.

Er, based on what? Lancaster is excellent academically.
Reply 8
No it isn't "excellent". It may be average to good but certainly NOT excellent.
Reply 9
v2006
No it isn't "excellent". It may be average to good but certainly NOT excellent.

Because by your standards Nottingham Trent is academically stronger, then :s-smilie:?
Reply 10
It isn't acedemically stronger, but has a better social scene which is the most important factor!
Reply 11
v2006
It isn't acedemically stronger, but has a better social scene which is the most important factor!

Oh for gods sake grow up.
Reply 12
Sorry what? At first I thought V2006 got confused between nottingham & nottingham trent but seriously?
An ex-poly Vs a proper university? Seriously please don't give out any more advice on these forums I feel sorry for anyone who listens to that rubbish.
Reply 13
RyanT
Sorry what? At first I thought V2006 got confused between nottingham & nottingham trent but seriously?
An ex-poly Vs a proper university? Seriously please don't give out any more advice on these forums I feel sorry for anyone who listens to that rubbish.

It's not the first time I've seen him at it. :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Lancaster, ignore the v2006 fool:wink:
Lancaster for psychology is very good.

i like the campus, it has everything you need, the college system gives you a community within a wider university. The uni is relatively small but has lots of amenities and facilities. Its pretty cheap to live in college, and you can do for 1st and 3rd year if you like.

I have not been to Trent, but nottingham is a great city with lots to do.

But if it was me, I would defo go to lancaster
Reply 16
Lancaster.
http://www.thegooduniversityguide.org.uk/single.htm?ipg=6524
Lancaster = 19
Trent = 56

I know league tables aren't always to be believed, but statistical manipulation can't create that gap....
lancaster for sure
Reply 18
A stupid question deserves a stupid answer :smile:.
Reply 19
Lancaster by far, it has a million times better reputation and certainly will give you more value for money. Remember, we're paying over 3 grand a year for tuition, I wouldn't spend that money on an ex-poly if I had an offer from a traditional university with a better reputation.

What exactly didn't you like about Lancaster?

The night life is great, there are free bars (pay a tenner and the bar's free), so many nights where it's a pound a drink, the student union is lowly getting better, we have had pendulum, booty love, Dave Pearce came to town, judge jules coming up and we also had ministry of sound.
Lancaster is near Blackpool and Manchester and students go to these places very often, I do that's for sure.
The night life is very good for a city it's size so don't let that hold you back.

Latest