The Student Room Group

Want to do good in AS + travel possibilities?

Finally, I've gotten to doing at least a bit of German fiction reading.
But anyway, our school's trip organisation is very poor (we were meant to be in Germany according to the school's timetable :O).

Next week I have a half term break, so what do you guys suggest?
I would like to go to Germany (but where? who to talk to? :P), wouldn't mind setting up all the travel and such, I'm perfectly fine with it.

I am taking AS German, and evidently - am no good at the vocabulary.

Anybody know of any exchange programmes, or would perhaps help me with getting the vocabulary to the level I need?

Listening to / reading something and looking at the dictionary is by far the worst way of learning vocabulary.

I don't know where I am now (I'd guess at a C/D boundary), but I want to get an A in it :P and don't patronise me for what I want :P (no, thanks for "you've got no chance blah blah blah")

Thanks.
Reply 1
So basically what you're looking for is a sort of language school?
Reply 2
hobnob
So basically what you're looking for is a sort of language school?

Perhaps. I wouldn't mind going anywhere in UK during next week since it's a half-term break. Would be better if it was free, but I really wouldn't mind paying either.
Reply 3
You say that reading or listening to things then looking up the words is by far the worst way to learn vocabulary, but I can't think of many other ways to actually learn vocab in the first place.

I just make a list of words when I'm reading an article that I don't know and look them up later. Then you can put them on flashcards and keep testing yourself.

I'm not really sure what you're after in your half term either. If it's a language school you want then free will be out of the question. You could do some research and find a language school that's fairly cheapish, but I'd have to question the effectiveness of this for just a week.
Reply 4
Fleece
You say that reading or listening to things then looking up the words is by far the worst way to learn vocabulary, but I can't think of many other ways to actually learn vocab in the first place.

I just make a list of words when I'm reading an article that I don't know and look them up later. Then you can put them on flashcards and keep testing yourself.

I'm not really sure what you're after in your half term either. If it's a language school you want then free will be out of the question. You could do some research and find a language school that's fairly cheapish, but I'd have to question the effectiveness of this for just a week.

That was useful.
Reply 5
Does anyone know of any *specific* 'language schools'? Preferably in south east.
Reply 6
Vykis
Does anyone know of any *specific* 'language schools'? Preferably in south east.

How about this? Those courses will probably last for longer than just a week, though...
Reply 7
Vykis
That was useful.

Was that sarcastic?
Reply 8
it will be too late to sign up for any exchange programmes now for next week, these sort of things are done in months in advance.

is just a plain holiday out of the question? you could go to a major city in Germany or a small town for a week, there you won't be tempted to speak english because few people would be able to.
There aren't any magic ways of you suddenly improving your German, without actually going to Germany for a good month or so. The best thing you can do is to sit down, make a list of vocab and keep testing yourself on it until you know it. It might not be fun, but it is the only way you can do it from this country. If languages don't come naturally to you, and you only have a limited amount of time and money, you cna only revise languages like any other subject. From talking to my friends, who struggle with languages, this is the ONLY way they are getting good grades.

Latest