The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

silent ninja
Loads and loads of maths and stats to become an actuary, so really, maths has got to be your strongest subject. I agree with bobo's post above, bit harsh but true. Work hard and you will probably find that you are more capable than you think. Most people don't apply themselves.

The first six or so months of A levels are difficult, but after you get in the groove, it's not so bad. The AS system is ideal if you find that you'd don't enjoy the odd subject so much.

Don't put too much stock in what other people find difficult. You have your own talents.

Thanks that helped, i always believed in myself to work hard and reach but i began to believe it was a bit far-fetched.

I wouldn't say maths was my strongest subject it is one of my strong ones and i'm prepared to work really hard in it.
The funny thing about Maths , is that 44% of candidates got an A for the standard A2.However , I know quite a few people that have struggled a bit at my sixth form - including some students who got A/A* grades at GCSE.

You must be able to follow through a sequence of steps in order to prove or solve a problem at AS and A2 level.At GCSE , there's pretty much none of that (save simultaneous linear and quadratic equations).If you can't do that then you might struggle a little.I think this is what throws many GCSE students when they start looking as AS stuff.It also goes without saying you need to be very rigourous and methodical in your general approach.

I did the AS in year 11 and five units last year , pretty much mostly self taught and I haven't found it too difficult , at least the pure stuff.I'd say Chemistry is more difficult than Maths from my experience.
I think you should reconsider Acturial science as a profession because of it's high mathematical element. My cousin came out of Oxford having done a MATHS degree to work for Deloitte and he failed the more difficult acturial exams first time round. It is difficult because you have to revise for those exams while working at the same time. In his degree I think he got a 2:1 not sure.
DON'T GIVE UP YOUR DREAM TO BE AN ACTUARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ok that sounds totally cheesy bu seriously DON'T be too scared to d it and then regret it later. It sounds like you're so passionate about it, you'll put the work in at a-level to get a fantastic grade. I mean in half term last May i spent like al my time on my holiday to Devon revising GCSE stuff, and to my shock I got A*, and I'm taking Maths A-Level and I guess just keep your goal in sight and hopefully that'll see you through!!!!!!!!!!!!good luck though, and great username thing :smile:
Reply 24
An 'A' in A-Level Maths? Possibly; although I can only assume that you haven't worked particularly hard towards your GCSE.

An 'A' in A-Level Further Maths? Not a snowball's chance.
Irrelevance
Just put in the work and don't be afraid to ask questions. It's best to start work early too and not cram towards exam time.

I found the hardest bit transitioning between GCSE to A Level sciences is letting go of certain concepts you learnt at GCSE, for example, in biology GCSE you learn that plants only photosynthesise and snimals respire. At A Level, you realise plants have their own respiration cycle which is different to mamillian respiration yet still photosynthesise

As Adon said, people who start on A's at GCSE don't necessarily keep them at A Level

Err... in GCSE we WERE told that plants respire.
Reply 26
Go for it if it's your dream, but it'l certainly require a lot of work. My only advice would be start weeks before (the revising that is) - especially if you find you're struggling. I can't answer whether it's 'hard' or not - obviously that'll vary from person to person, but Maths is one of those subjects where even if you're not naturally good at it, hard work put in from weeks and weeks before the exam can really help. You just need to get familiar with the questions, and not be afraid of them (which I know might sound stupid, but I used to get scared of questions in Maths!)
I got an A* and have found C1 quite easy, S1 quite hard, and so far C2 isn't that bad. I think after revision most of the material is ok for someone who is fairly competant at Maths. I actually think the Stats looks harder than it is (hard at first though). :redface:
I don't think getting the grades will be a problem. That is pretty easy because all it takes is a bit of work. It is just when you get to the actual job you will struggle. Like I said a maths graduate from Oxford failed his exams first time round. It is a competitive exam and not based on what mark you get. It is incredibly difficult to pass.
Reply 29
Ive just given my first module exams for As level last month. I have to say I definitely struggled in my first modules especially for maths and chemistry. Biology and Business Studies are easy at AS. But second module has got a bit easier. I kept carrying on hoping that in the end I'd be alright. But my advise would be if you struggle at first just drop it. I've taken 4 subjects but many Unis just look for 3. Many people in my class have found Pure maths the hardest including me. Mechanics is quiete easier but you have to make sure you revise it thoroughly. I know it sounds sad but many of us enjoyed maths during GCSE but at A level even eith the best teacher in our sixth form its a struggle. If you take maths then I would strognly advise you just take three subjects. Especially if you take Biology, Chem an maths (like me).
Maths is nothing like GCSE some one who got c in GCSE can end up with an A and an A* grade an u. I was just a mark off an A in GCSE maths but A level is definitely hard. I've been getting extra tutorials at lunchtimes and after school but ive still struggled. Maths takes up so much of my time I think maybe I could've done better in my other subjects if I had the courage to drop it.
Now I'm just going to wait for my results next month and decide what to do. :confused:
At A lavel theres another key you have to keep in mind and that is DON'T OVER REVISE. Sounds crazy huh? But thats what I thought too when my family kept telling me your over revising and will end up forgeting evry thing. I didn't believe them but when I went into the exam I realised exactly what they meant. It's more important to have a fresh mind and be realxed in an exam than try to learn Evry sinlge detail. Revise the big topics first and leave the little topics till last. As they rarely come up and are easier to learn especially if your so stressed towards the end when you've revised for a long time.

Notes definitely help. There is no point in just reading through things if you don't understand it as this will make you more confused. This is very important to keep in mind especially for Biology.My GCSE grades weren't exactly Oxbridge quality but I'm still pleased (2A*s 5as & 5bs) with them. The only way I managed to do this is to revise early as possible and make my own notes. Having revision questions also helps this could be questions you make up yourselves or from past papers. Pictures and Diagrams are the best as you have visual images in your mind. Pictures are easier to remember than words.
Reply 30
What I say doesn't mean you'l find it hard too. We all vary in skills from person to person. But one thing is if you really want to do something just go for it. Try and see how you like it as it doesn't matter what others say. My mahts teacher keeps suggesting I should drop it but now he realsied I'm doing way better at Module 2 than module 1. Resits may not look good when applying to unis but its a risk some of us have to take. Many senior students say that it is easier to do resit Module one in January in A2. As you have more experince and understanding of a subject.By the time you reach A2 your maths skills develop greatly.
Never be afraid to ask a teacher for help if your stuck. They'll rather you ask than fail.
I can't say I'm finding it particularly hard. C1,C2,D1,M1 and S1 have all been straightforward so I've taught myself C3 and I'll teach myself C4.

Latest