The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

A few questions about Exeter

I'm considering Exeter as my firm choice after having been offered an "unconditional" by them to study English. I just have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate being helped out with.

1. I hear that the cost of living at Exeter is comparably high, how true is this? Most notably, how true is it of self-catered halls of residencies?

What is the Exeter Theatre Company like? Can undergraduates interested in acting and dramatic arts get involved, and if so, in what ways?

What are the people like there? I know the cliche' of Exeter being posh is probably mostly untrue, but generally speaking...?

What's the English course like, to anyone who does it?

Thanks in advance to the kind people who take the time to answer :biggrin:
Reply 1
1. I hear that the cost of living at Exeter is comparably high, how true is this? Most notably, how true is it of self-catered halls of residencies?

Catered halls range from £100 a week to £147 a week. Sadly, for this money not all meals are included (you will have to feed yourself at lunches and at weekends), so value for money decreases dramatically.
Self-catered halls range in price from £60 a week to £100 a week. The differences in prices generally reflect how many people there are to a flat, proximity to campus, inclusion of ensuite, quality of fixtures and fittings etc. There are many threads on here about the relative merits of catered vs self-catered; do a search and you'll soon find out what we all think and be able to use the information to make an informed decision about what's best for you and your lifestyle.

What is the Exeter Theatre Company like? Can undergraduates interested in acting and dramatic arts get involved, and if so, in what ways?

EutCo is brilliant. I auditioned and didn't get in - the standard is extremely high and I have enjoyed every one of their plays that I have seen. Undergraduates can and do get involved, both on the stage and behind the scenes.

What are the people like there? I know the cliche' of Exeter being posh is probably mostly untrue, but generally speaking...?
Exeter is a generally quite affluent, white Anglo-Saxon place. However, on the whole people are extremely friendly (it was one of the first things to strike me about the place when I visited as a prospective student) and put it this way...they work hard and they play hard.

What's the English course like, to anyone who does it?
On the whole there's a good choice of modules, though I thought that there was a disproportionate number of film and creative writing modules available in my third year (in the sense of there being a ridiculously large number). The only compulsory modules are in the first year - beyond that you can pretty much do what you want and there's flexibility to take electives in other subjects too since you'll be on a single honours programme. The tutors are brilliant and are always available for help. However, I found the department marking scheme to be vague and it was therefore difficult to achieve what was expected of you. Saying this, though, I enjoyed my time there, was on the whole satisfied with the department, and I got a good degree :smile:

Let me know if you have any more questions :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Angelil, just to point out that in catered halls you get three meals at weekends; it's only weekday lunches that aren't provided for.

I think you've pretty much covered everything else though!

The Cheese Thief, I'm in my second year of English at Exeter and loving it, so if you have any questions feel free to ask/PM me.
Reply 3
My mistake :redface: Still half the weekends not provided for though...or do you mean three meals a day at weekends?
Reply 4
You get breakfast, lunch and dinner on both saturdays and sundays
A big thanks to everyone who's answered my questions!!! :smile:

One thing though:

EutCo is brilliant. I auditioned and didn't get in - the standard is extremely high and I have enjoyed every one of their plays that I have seen. Undergraduates can and do get involved, both on the stage and behind the scenes.

This worries me somewhat. Not because it's a challenge getting in - indeed it's great to hear that performing and acting is taken seriously at Exeter, just that it's very important to me that I get some exposure to this side of things in the three years, and it would be a let-down for me if I constantly had to compete and struggle to take part etc.

Does EutCo take place across all the campuses?
Reply 6
^ That worries me as well. I'm considering Exeter as my firm for English, but I definitely want to be involved in drama outside my studies. I'm in a student theatre company at school and am doing drama-related stuff on my gap year, so I'd be pretty gutted if they said no :frown: Is it extremely hard to get in? Btw what is the Musical Theatre Society like?
Reply 7
There are loads of theatre societies on campus, so you're bound to find something that fits - there's Footlights, which I guess is the Musical Theatre society. They are very very good, but it's competitive. Then there's EutCo who do more theatrey-drama (if that makes sense). They're also competitive, but they do put on a fair few productions throughout the year, so there are a few chances to get involved. There's also a Gilbert & Sullivan society who put on productions, as well as some non-Guild-affiliated theatre companies who occasionally put on productions. So all in all, lots and lots of chances to get involved in some really really good stuff.
Reply 8
I auditioned for Footlights and for EutCo and didn't get into either (mainly through my lack of dance training in the case of Footlights as they really want you to be very skilled at acting, dancing AND singing, not just one or the other; don't know what the reason was for EutCo). I did Drama up to A Level (got a B) and have Grade V voice if that gives you any clue about what they look for.

However, anyone can join G&S but it's a huge commitment so just be prepared.

Despite my unsuccessful attempts at getting into Footlights and EutCo, I was still involved in drama at Exeter - I acted in a Moliere medley with the French society and in a Shakespeare medley under a project spearheaded by one of my friends in the English department. There are always plenty of opportunities.
The Cheese Thief
A big thanks to everyone who's answered my questions!!! :smile:

One thing though:

This worries me somewhat. Not because it's a challenge getting in - indeed it's great to hear that performing and acting is taken seriously at Exeter, just that it's very important to me that I get some exposure to this side of things in the three years, and it would be a let-down for me if I constantly had to compete and struggle to take part etc.

Does EutCo take place across all the campuses?

No doubt theres always Theatre Soc or Drama Soc etc as well :smile:
A less competitive way of participating in Drama and Theatre, and an opportunity to make more friends.
Reply 10
sophisticated - are Theatre Soc and Drama Soc new socs this year? Do they even exist or are you just speculating? Because afaik the only existing theatre societies at Exeter are the three that have already been mentioned...unless Theatre Soc/Drama Soc are just the subject soc for those taking drama as their degree (a subject soc being a soc usually only involving people taking that subject getting together and drinking...).
Angelil
sophisticated - are Theatre Soc and Drama Soc new socs this year? Do they even exist or are you just speculating? Because afaik the only existing theatre societies at Exeter are the three that have already been mentioned...unless Theatre Soc/Drama Soc are just the subject soc for those taking drama as their degree (a subject soc being a soc usually only involving people taking that subject getting together and drinking...).

I'm not sure to be honest, but I'm sure theres some kind of casual way for Theatre/Drama fans to get together without having to be competitive!

Latest

Trending

Trending