The Student Room Group

How do you revise ?

This thead is paticulary for people who done well in their GCSE's...

Do/Did

you....

Simply read out of a revision book ?

Make notes ?

use websites ?

use past papers ?

a combination of the above ?

Also...

How did you revise for :

English language and Literiture

Geography

All posts appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
If you think 6A*s is a good result (i dont) then heres my recommendations.

Nope

Make notes ?
Yep, using textbooks and the syllabus. I did this for everything except for Maths, English and Geography

use websites ?
Nope

use past papers ?
Yes for Sciences and Maths

lol i couldnt be bothered to read the book for literature so i decided to download the audio cd and listen to it. Also i got a note guide from the internet for my book. Worked well for English lit, i got an A* :smile:

English Language, i didnt revise at all. I ended up with a B :frown: cos my coursework was crap.

Geography
Didnt revise for this either. Ended up with a B in the terminal exam but i was saved by my Coursework and DME which were both A*s to end up with an A overall.
Reply 2
k i made notes and used past papers
for english i did couple of timed essays and used york notes to revise like characters and stuff
geography did loadsa flow diagrams for stuff like glacial processes etc. and just practiced writing them out loads. for case studies (if you have to do them) i just wrote down the key facts over and over again to revise them off by heart
Reply 3
i didnt do all tht much revision...
for science and maths i did past papers and for languages...
i talked to my family in a different language occasionally...
english just re-read your poems and such like...
I wrote a few mind maps and 'tried' to learn that...
my brother was doing A levels at the time so i didnt get much pressure from my parents...

not much help.. sorry
Good Luck in your exams!!
Write all the stuff you need to know on a piece of paper. Eat the piece of paper.

Or, alternatively, write or type up all of the notes you need and just keep re-reading them. If there are any topics in a particular subject that you struggle with, try to go over it slowly and then explain it to someone else. If they understand it, then you understand it.
Reply 5
Simply read out of a revision book ? Yes
Make notes ? Yes
use websites ? No
use past papers ? Yes
Reply 6
I got 3 A*s, 7 As, which I thought was amazing at the time as I thought I'd get Bs and Cs with the amount of effort I put in, but I'm kind of disappointed in retrospect.

Not really.

Make notes ?

I wasted about a week during study leave making stupid little flash cards for Biology but apart from that, no.

use websites ?

I sort of used BBC Bitesize to teach myself Higher Tier Maths. haha

use past papers ?

For sciences, maths and Spanish, yeah. Other subjects I didn't bother.

How did you revise for :

I didn't. We got the anthology given to us in the exam so there was nothing to revise really.

Geography

Didn't take it.
Reply 7
i thought when i got my results 6A*s was great. But then i realised for LSE Economics which is the degree and institution i so badly wanna go to and study usually give offers to people who had 9 and 10A*s. Really kicks you in the balls that when people in your year have so many A*s. The year below had loads of people on 8A*s+.

Could of and should of worked harder.
Reply 8
steve2006
i thought when i got my results 6A*s was great. But then i realised for LSE Economics which is the degree and institution i so badly wanna go to and study usually give offers to people who had 9 and 10A*s. Really kicks you in the balls that when people in your year have so many A*s. The year below had loads of people on 8A*s+.

Could of and should of worked harder.

6 A*s is great, and at the end of the day universities will be looking almost exclusively at your A-level grades. :smile:
This doesn't apply to me, but anyway:
student!
This thead is paticulary for people who done well in their GCSE's...

Do/Did

you....

Simply read out of a revision book ? Sometimes

Make notes ? No

use websites ? Not really.

use past papers ? Yes

a combination of the above ?

Also...

How did you revise for :

English language and Literiture : I read a few poems.

Geography: I didn't.

All posts appreciated :smile:
Reply 10
I didnt revise for anything. I never have done, ever.
I made notes until I knew the syllabus well enough, then blitz through as many past papers as possible, analysing the mark schemes and examiner's reports. Then re-revise the bits I got wrong.
Geography I learnt all of the case studies, Eng Lit and Lang I made notes on all of the poems, and practised planning essays so that they were written in a logical fashion
James Gurung
6 A*s is great, and at the end of the day universities will be looking almost exclusively at your A-level grades. :smile:

thanks for that james :smile:

In reality GCSEs are not as important as A2s at all institutions but for the one course L101 Economics, GCSEs are effectively more important than A2s which i wished i realised in June 2006.

@TaeKwonDo what the heck are you on about.

O looking at ur GCSEs, i may have offended u there. My bad
I'd say that your grades at GCSE are more important than grades at AS Level if applying for medicine at somewhere like Oxford, if they look at A* ratio/BMAT scores. Surely most Oxford medicine applicants have at least AAA at AS Level? If your talking AS UMS scores then thats a different matter....
I was just telling you to shut up with all your 'OMG I only got 7676 A*s, should have worked harder lol' crap, it's really annoying. It's more modest just to say you're really happy with them, you know.
It's a shame I think, because I don't see why GCSEs are inherently indicative of someone's ability to do a particular degree (unless the GCSE is directly relevant to the course).
steve2006

O looking at ur GCSEs, i may have offended u there. My bad

Oh yes, my atrocious GCSEs.:rolleyes:

Arrogant ******, it's people like you that are what's wrong with this website.
Reply 18
1A* 6A 3B sucks, but i thot i'd help anyway coz LSE still offered me a place :eek: so the 8A* myth is just a myth!!! :p:

Simply read out of a revision book ? Yes, ideal for the latest last minute revision

Make notes ? Yes, for sciences, history, in ur case Geography, English Literature (make sure you know terminologies - although i got a B in GCSE, got an A in AS :biggrin: )

use websites ? No

use past papers ? DEFINITELY, UR SAFEST BET TO GUARANTEE GOOD GCSE'S as i've realised...especially important for Maths + sciences

How did you revise for :

English language and Literature - Language NOTHING, Literature, make notes, remember quotes from poems, plays, novel etc, read from Study guides - the best way to study - reading the commentaries and stuff..:rolleyes:

Geography - sorry, didnt take it

Latest