The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Master Polhem
Can I just steal this thread and ask what people think of the following:

Does it annoy you that Imperial constantly keeps comparing itself to Oxbridge...?

Live does it, the Official Web page does it and the blooming professors, lecturers and other staff do it. I find it highly annoying that we keep comparing ourselves to universities, which for sciences/engineering we are on par with each other (naturally very debatable), yet we seem to have a chip on our shoulder for not having that "Oxbridge" prestige. I think it makes us look rather lame. It would be much nicer if no one really gave a damn.

LOL Yeh I see that a lot too...but I don't really give a damn :wink:....In the end its very hard to compare one university to another; unless there are obvious comparisons like between say Queen mary (where your likely to get shot) and say UCL, but Imperial and Oxford are already two universities that are already really high up....which each having merits of their own...but In the end its all good :biggrin: Who cares
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 181
Master Polhem
Does it annoy you that Imperial constantly keeps comparing itself to Oxbridge...?

Live does it, the Official Web page does it and the blooming professors, lecturers and other staff do it.

Well it's their business to really; Oxbridge is by far the first choice for those taking sciences/engineering (because they're naive/easily swayed/whatever) and so steals all the best students. Imperial wants the best courses to be taught to the best students so it has to be concerned about recruiting them.

It's not about elevating them to a higher level, it's trying to understand what needs to be done so we can effectively compete with them for students (Lord knows we do it already for quality :wink:) - if that means saying Imperial is 'as good as Oxbridge' to the naive 6th former, then so be it.
fais
In just Physics? Generally, it's (at least one) more than that :wink:

What do you mean?

He actually did 6 or 7 or even 7.5 different A levels. May be including G.S. though.
Reply 183
xinolisss
What do you mean?

He actually did 6 or 7 or even 7.5 different A levels. May be including G.S. though.

Well, you said:

xinolisss
Oh so now it's 2 then who have done around 6 or 7 :smile:

Just wondering if you meant in physics; if you meant in Imperial in general, or even just in the 2nd year cohort at Imperial, then that number's lower than it should be.. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending