The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

If you have 4 As in your AS grade, spend some time on your personal statement, and have good reference from your teacher (be nice, not naughty xD). I think, sending your application early also may help, dont send in the last day in the deadline as a lot of other peoples do.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 41
Weezy F
Sorry but it's true. There are too many geeks at Imperial. People generally fall into 2 categories. Either they're a geek, or they have no social life.

Lol. sorry, but i have some friends and quite a few relatives at Imperial, and can tell you thats not true.
Reply 42
Igloo_cone
Lol. sorry, but i have some friends and quite a few relatives at Imperial, and can tell you thats not true.

Maybe what i said was extreme, but Imperial definitely has more than its fair share of geeks.
Reply 43
Yeah, i can understand that.
Reply 44
From BBC News:
"School children see scientists as unfashionable geeks who need to get out more, claim university researchers."

As long as a significant number of people in this country think being intelligent is something to make fun of rather than respect you'll just have to put up with it.

Studying science or engineering at university is going to make you a geek in the eyes of most people. Ignore it, ignore them if you want to, and move on. Every week a prospective student posts to this forum "are you all boring geeks?", I find it insulting. If you think science/engineering is boring then do something else. If you think scientists/engineers are boring do something else. Would you spend all your time siting in your room studying? No? Then what makes you think everyone else here will?

If you want to conform, go and study Beckham studies, drink yourself into oblivion every night of the week, drop out and apply for a **** job. If you want to spend 3 or 4 years studying something you find interesting and having fun with intelligent, like minded people then please apply.
Reply 45
Lol.
Slightly off topic, but Imperial are much harder ONCE YOU ARE IN than actually getting into it, I heard from one of my friend, he is getting all A*s and As during GCSE and A-levels but after he got into imperial he found it very hard. He's doing material engineering.
Reply 47
yep, it's bloody hard. What you have to understand is, when your here, your not expected to be scoring 90%+, like at A-level. It's completely different.
xaxa
From BBC News:
"School children see scientists as unfashionable geeks who need to get out more, claim university researchers."

As long as a significant number of people in this country think being intelligent is something to make fun of rather than respect you'll just have to put up with it.

Studying science or engineering at university is going to make you a geek in the eyes of most people. Ignore it, ignore them if you want to, and move on. Every week a prospective student posts to this forum "are you all boring geeks?", I find it insulting. If you think science/engineering is boring then do something else. If you think scientists/engineers are boring do something else. Would you spend all your time siting in your room studying? No? Then what makes you think everyone else here will?

If you want to conform, go and study Beckham studies, drink yourself into oblivion every night of the week, drop out and apply for a **** job. If you want to spend 3 or 4 years studying something you find interesting and having fun with intelligent, like minded people then please apply.

Well said.
Oxbridge filter their students at the interview / entrance exam stage, Imperial filters them during first year. In a way its a fairer process, some students are completely brilliant at what they study but not so good at interviews.
Reply 50
wais
Oxbridge filter their students at the interview / entrance exam stage, Imperial filters them during first year. In a way its a fairer process, some students are completely brilliant at what they study but not so good at interviews.

Does that mean you have a relatively higher chance of being booted off the course in the first year? For academic reasons?
sdt
Does that mean you have a relatively higher chance of being booted off the course in the first year? For academic reasons?

Depends on how much effort you decide to put in, and the amount of work you do. The Maths department have a special way of reminding that to the first years half way through the academic year - it's called the January exams. Most people do pretty badly in that. 21 out of about 240 got an upper second or first class mark for it in our year group.
I dont know the statistics for Oxbridge, but I'd say yes. I know of 3 people who are leaving the course voluntarily, and I dont even know that many people in my course.

I'm sure a few will get kicked off for exams etc
Reply 53
I think some/many (no idea of the proportion) of those that leave get into 2nd year of other places, but obviously you shouldn't count on this. I only know two people who dropped out, and they both did this, so their 1st year wasn't wasted.
Depends on subject and university. I know that some universities such as imperial and oxbridge dont accept anyone into second year, as the modules arent compatible.

I'd say its pretty rare though, although places like Kent do have special programs for 2nd year entry
I think Imperial accept tranfers for oxbridge clincal medicine.
Third hardest in the country after Oxbridge.
Reply 57
Hmmm, according to Wackypedia Imperial is one of the most selective universities in the world with the average entrance statistic being consistantly under 20% i.e. Less than 1 in 5 applicants get in. I know for Chem Eng the statistic is about 18% if you look at Imperials datasheet. This, I believe is even LOWER than Oxbridge.

Also Oxbridge is fantastic, I myself am still devastated over my Oxford rejection, but this "Chasm" that is described between Oxbridge and the likes of Imperial is unfounded. Imperial is rated 1st in Europe for science based courses. In fact there have been instances where Imperial is above Oxford in the league tables.

So to answer the opening question...Yes, its bloody hard to get into Imperial.
IChem
Hmmm, according to Wackypedia Imperial is one of the most selective universities in the world with the average entrance statistic being consistantly under 20% i.e. Less than 1 in 5 applicants get in. I know for Chem Eng the statistic is about 18% if you look at Imperials datasheet. This, I believe is even LOWER than Oxbridge.

Also Oxbridge is fantastic, I myself am still devastated over my Oxford rejection, but this "Chasm" that is described between Oxbridge and the likes of Imperial is unfounded. Imperial is rated 1st in Europe for science based courses. In fact there have been instances where Imperial is above Oxford in the league tables.

Meh dude you'll be doing an engineering course at Imperial which spanks Oxford anyday. Take a beer.

And I don't think it is super difficult to get into Imperial.
IChem

Quite a change of tune you've had. If I rememmember correctly, you were going to reapply to oxford cos you thought imperial sucked.

Latest

Trending

Trending