The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
most definitely i would have thought. if you encounter some smug admissions tutors who don't think it's relevant then imo the uni isnt worth bothering with. how more can you display your dedication to business / economics? gd luck! :smile:
Elaborate on 'successful business'.
Reply 3
Dragonkiller
Hi,

I'm asking this because I really have no idea.

Does writing about having set up a successful business (I'm not talking about a stupid pocket money venture) help in anyway?

From what I've heard your personal statement should try to show your passion for the subject, so I'm not sure if it would be relevant to mention it.

I want to apply for Economics by the way.

Thanks a lot!

TBH, I think business and education should be sort of kept seperate. Like business life doesn't need to be mentioned on PS.
For economics?! Definitely!

I mean, c'mon. A 6 figure turnover, fantastic. Well done by the way.

I wouldn't go in to too much detail about it but at least mention it. I'd be very impressed at that from a student.
Reply 5
Yes to above but people also talk about their gap years on PS - and thats nothing to do with education!

Mention it, it should look good but its not a sales pitch either. Talk less about the business itself and a lot more about skills you've learnt from it - thats what they care about.
I would definitely mention it! It shows a hell of a lot of good qualities that are not 'teachable,' plus it takes balls. You will stand out if presented properly.
mabe_uk
TBH, I think business and education should be sort of kept seperate. Like business life doesn't need to be mentioned on PS.

But wouldn't it be a good thing to mention that you started up such a successful company that it has, as the OP said, a six-figure turnover?? :confused: I would definitely mention something like that, especially as the skills learnt in the upkeep of the company would be directly relevant to an Economics degree, I'm sure - put it this way: you've got to have some economical understanding to get a company to that point.

OP, chap it into your PS somewhere within where you talk about extracurricular activities. But then again why would you want to go to university when you've got a company like that under your belt?? :biggrin:
We were told to put on stuff like extra activities, as long as we mentioned how they would be relevant to the subject. Like I was in a band, and I wrote about how that improved team work and stuff like that... and I'm doing Biomed!
Reply 9
Don't over elaborate it - uni's will think that you may spend too much time on your business rather than their course.
Dragonkiller
plus there's the whole 'university experience' that everyone seems to be telling me about! :wink:

Oh yeah! Good point!! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Can you atleast tell us what sort of industry or market you are in? I mean you say your company has been set up 3/4 years ago, assuming your at the age of 18 now (seeing as your just applying to uni, but suppose you could be a mature student). but just on the basis of you being 18 it means you established your company around the age of 14? Id love to know how you financed that at such a small age, i mean maybe your parents are loaded and give you some amazing pocket money lol!! Just curious?!
Reply 12
Hmm fair enough, just curious!! Id say defo mention it on your personal statement, iv also set up a few businesses in my spare time, nothing on the scale as yours seems to be, but i mentioned it in my application!
Reply 13
Dragonkiller
To be honest, I really don't want to give out any information. That's mainly the reason I haven't and don't want to mention it at school.

I'm actually 17, just thinking ahead since my school keeps telling us and they already want a first draft!

Hope you understand :smile:

Just say that you have experience in the business world if you mention it. Be vague as I am guessing you do not want your school to find out about all your business dealings. Still if you have such a big turnover, University could slow you down.
Reply 14
Name of your business?

Don't worry, you're anonymous on the internet
Reply 15
Mention it, certainly. But don't build your PS around it - you are quite right in saying that the PS needs to be about your academic interest in the subject.

However as an example of your success in areas outside of your academic work it'll be excellent. Try to talk about the skills running the business has given you, or how it's extended your interest in studying economics as a degree - i.e. don't just say that you did it, but show how it relates directly to your application :smile:

By the way, in case you didn't know, TSR runs a PS-help service where you can have your statement reviewed and suggestions for redrafts made (*points at user title*) here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=303 (faq about it here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=303&a=89)
Reply 16
Dragonkiller
I prefer not to say, sorry.

I don't think anyone here would have heard of it anyway :p:

Google will always find it for me.
Its just that I don't believe you're turning in 6 digits
Reply 17
Drug trafficking might be a successful and lucrative business, but it's not what you might call a "legitimate business". Universities might frown upon it.
Reply 18
Dragonkiller
Thanks a lot. I'll definitely have a look at that.

That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for.

To be honest, I don't really care. With any topic where someone has done something beyond the average, there is always a couple of people like you.

The advice I've received from some of the members here has been great, and that's exactly what I was looking for - not to prove anything.

Perfectly legitimate.

Typically most people who run businesses will use any opportunity to sort of advertise. It seems that you are the opposite to this. What are you hiding?
Reply 19
You realise you've made everyone so curious about your business ventures it will be hard to get any real advice from this thread?

If you want my opinion? Don't include it. Your applying to Uni as a student, not as a businessperson. If you put it down their are either going to think you won't give their course 100% or they'll be of the impression that somebody more needy (?) could do with the course and not the budding entrepreneur that you appear to be.

Latest

Trending

Trending