The Student Room Group

When you were a younger...

Poll

answer

and you were in primary/secondary school, did the teacher asking you to get into pairs bother you? It used to scare the ***** out of me.

Very random question i know, but just wanna know whether some it bothers and some it doesn't. I still get fairly aggitated now if i'm honest.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Terrified me - what if I didn't get picked by anyone? Or no one wanted to pair up? Social humiliation!
Reply 2
Nope, not really. Why did it bother you?
Pairs I was fine with because if I was on my own I was either paired with someone else who was on their own (ie in no position to make jokes) or I could stay working on my own. It was "get into groups" that I hated.
Yes, all the time. Even though I had some friends, I never had one 'best' friend.
Reply 5
It never used to bother me. Makes you realise when you're wanted though :P
In case you were the only one left? Me too... :frown:
It only bothered me when I actually wanted to do the work by myself.
Pairs was definately an issue as I was part of a trio of good mates, so one of us would always have to go.
Reply 9
it didn't bother me because i always had a friend to pair up with. but it must be horrible on the people left out. its always the same ones though
late poll.....

yeh, the fear of not being picked and being left on your own. It's terrible either in groups or in pairs imo. It's just i can remember feeling like that when i was at primary school. Just wondering if that was a little odd for a kid that age..
I hated pairs, even though I always had someone to pair up with. it wasn't nice seeing people just stand there looking at the floor and shuffling from one foot to the other until eventually it came the 'oh [insert name] you're the odd one out! looks like you'll have to work with me' from scary PE teacher.

saying that though, being asked to get into pairs was never as bad as being 'randomly' assigned to groups. which basically means 'I'm going to split you up from your friends and stick you with people I know don't like you.'
where's the harm in letting people stay with the people they like? surely it means they'd enjoy the lessons more and work better.
at school not so much as I had quite a large group of friends with at least one person in all my classes.
at college, more so. Hardly anyone from my school went to my college, so in those first few weeks it was terrifying as everyone seemed to know someone except me!
it's fine now! but saying that I do prefer being put into pairs than having to choose as there is always that moment when everyone tries to catch the person they want to work withs eye, and I'm always worried it won't be me!
Only when I was 14/15, when a 'friend' of mine was basically bullying me, it really knocked my confidence, but now it's quite high and in the end I guess karma prevailed (much through her own doing).
Reply 14
I will still, the seocnd a teacher asks to pair up ask someone, so that I dotn get left out, lol
Nothing worse when the teacher says 'ok, you'll get into pairs for this,' and you can see everyone looking around trying to find someone. Anyone else feel like they just couldn't say to someone in that whispery voice 'wanna go with me?'
In primary school-yes. In secondary school..not so much. It worries me actually, I have had the same close knit group of friends since primary school with the addition of more friends if anything, and no one I know is going to the same Uni as me :frown:
Yes! And when I was younger I was a bit of a freak as well, and I wasn't very confident
Reply 18
no not really, it was worse when we were told who to work with though
Reply 19
the wolf at door
and you were in primary/secondary school, did the teacher asking you to get into pairs bother you? It used to scare the ***** out of me.

Very random question i know, but just wanna know whether some it bothers and some it doesn't. I still get fairly aggitated now if i'm honest.

still does, although In chemistry I now have a lab partener as the person who sits next to her who went with her occasionaly dropped out, however in other subjects whenever get into pairs is mentioned you dread how it will end, especially if there's an odd number of people present =O

Latest

Trending

Trending