University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
mysteriuz
Graduating from Westminster this November :woo:

congrats! hows ur experience from these 3 years?
Freshers week
London
Visit website
Reply 81
Imson
congrats! hows ur experience from these 3 years?

I'd say I was fortunate to have some of the most helpful, and most experienced tutors, and lecturers. So my experience at the uni was really good in terms of academic work etc. The resources are really good for practical work, and the practical modules were taught rather well than some of the theory modules in my opinion. The best thing is that all lecturers/tutors have worked in the industry, so there will always be work placements etc throughout your studies that they'll be happy to help you with. I've certainly benefited from that!

However with many seminars from theory modules, I was rather dissapointed, with most having little or no discussion. Another dissapointment I'd say was that some modules were a little too similar. Sometimes its impossible getting through to lecturers which was annoying, but thanks to changes with the ways in which we can comminicate with them, its much easier!

Feedback and criticism of work was really good, and again I was fortunate to have some really good tutors/lecturers for that unlike others in my year.
Overall I'd say I'm satisfied to an extent but would have expected more, especially from one or two theory lectures that could have been more stimulating and made more interesting.

I was on the media course, other department experience may be different.
Hope it helps though. I hope I havn't put anyone off, but it's my own personal experience, changes are always made in the ways modules are taught. But in our department (Media) theres been big changes for students that started last year, and are going to start this year. I've had a look at the modules, and they are different to what I've done, but these changes in my opinion are better :smile: and I wish they had made these changes when I started...lol

anyway think I've written enough...want to know more, just ask...:smile:
mysteriuz

I was on the media course, other department experience may be different.
Hope it helps though. I hope I havn't put anyone off, but it's my own personal experience, changes are always made in the ways modules are taught. But in our department (Media) theres been big changes for students that started last year, and are going to start this year. I've had a look at the modules, and they are different to what I've done, but these changes in my opinion are better :smile: and I wish they had made these changes when I started...lol

anyway think I've written enough...want to know more, just ask...:smile:

Hey Mysteriuz - would you add your name to the thread requesting a sub-forum for Westminster?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=852934

The graduate fashion show for Westminster this year looked really impressive.

Good luck with everything - have a brilliant graduation :smile:

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-18258

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEZwS5GdX1Q
Reply 83
Freshers week this year is the first 2 weeks of October.

Keep an eye on http://www.smokeradio.co.uk/freshers for more updates
Reply 84
Lol i agree stop the mullahs! Iran would be the best country if it wernt islamic...im gna go ther this summer
C_D_forever
I think they allow you to choose your preference and put them in a rank order - they then try and allocate you to the halls that you have chosen as best they can - it goes by how far you live from central London etc. - the sooner you get your application in the better the chance you have of getting in to your first choice halls.

Even if you don't make your first choice or if you applied very late - you can always go on to a reserve list - so if someone leaves early or decides not to take a place up at the last minute - you can get in this way too.

A good tip would be to visit each area the halls are in - this will give you a better idea of how easy it is to get to and from lectures/nights out etc. Though I think all the halls are in brilliant locations and no more than 20 minutes via tube (you can walk to each campus in probably 30 - 40 minutes and see all the sites of central London) - Marylebone and Harrow are right on campus (so very convenient) but like you said Furnival is in a brilliant place.

I've been to Wigram House, in Victoria (which was brilliant by the way and five minutes from Scotland Yard, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament - in a really upmarket area) but it seems that, according to Cherry BB (another Westminster student on the forums) that they have changed this to postgraduates only now - which I think, is a shame.

http://www.wmin.ac.uk/page-11312

Hi C_D, I'm an Aussie who's applying for exchange to Westminster University because I'm currently studying Media (Journalism) and thought the uni was a brilliant fit for that. I obviously can't visit any of the accommodation halls personally so I can only go on what I see and read on the internet, and I am torn between picking Marylebone Hall or Alexander Fluming.

A very big priority for me is the location; I'll only be in London for six or so months and I ADORE the nightlife and the city buzz, so I want to live as close to everything as possible. For these reasons I am currently leaning towards Marylebone (the fact Harrow Campus is less than a 20 minute tube ride away is also a huge pro) however going by the pics on the uni's site it appears as though the rooms there are significantly smaller (not to mention significantly dearer!) than the rooms at Alexander Fluming. I mean, it could just be a bad angle, but that's what it looks like. Would you be able to clarify this situation for me, or do you not know? Thanks :smile:
jackgotjacked
Hi C_D, I'm an Aussie who's applying for exchange to Westminster University because I'm currently studying Media (Journalism) and thought the uni was a brilliant fit for that. I obviously can't visit any of the accommodation halls personally so I can only go on what I see and read on the internet, and I am torn between picking Marylebone Hall or Alexander Fluming.

A very big priority for me is the location; I'll only be in London for six or so months and I ADORE the nightlife and the city buzz, so I want to live as close to everything as possible. For these reasons I am currently leaning towards Marylebone (the fact Harrow Campus is less than a 20 minute tube ride away is also a huge pro) however going by the pics on the uni's site it appears as though the rooms there are significantly smaller (not to mention significantly dearer!) than the rooms at Alexander Fluming. I mean, it could just be a bad angle, but that's what it looks like. Would you be able to clarify this situation for me, or do you not know? Thanks :smile:

I can't help you on the size of the rooms between both these halls - Alexander Fleming is still travel zone 1, near Shoreditch - a sort of retro up and coming area with plenty of bars and nightlife - it still isn't the West End.

Marylebone halls on the campus is literally in the West end - all the central London campuses are within a 10 - 15 minute walk of each other; you have Soho, theatre land, Leicester Square, China town, all the famous London landmarks, Parliament, Big Ben etc. within walking distance - you can walk back to halls or easily get night buses back to this location from wherever you are in London.

So from what you have described Marylebone would be the ideal choice - plus the tube to the Harrow campus is literally across the road and it is just under 20 minutes via tube. Harrow campus is a really vibrant campus anyway - though if you stay after the tubes shut - you either need to get a night bus back to Marylebone or stay with friends on campus.

Maybe someone else might be able to help with the room sizes or e-mail UniLet accommodation and ask them. Marylebone has also just been refurbished and outfitted - and Alexander Fleming hall is usually reserved for postgraduates though and Marylebone is mainly undergraduates.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/summer-accommodation/halls-of-residence/marylebone-hall/image-gallery/1

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/business/summer-accommodation/halls-of-residence/alexander-fleming-house/image-gallery
Thank you so much!! I was leaning towards Marylebone for all the reasons you listed, since I'll be on exchange I want more out of my London experience than just going to classes and its location is PERFECT for experiencing true London life. However the difference in prices and room size was potentially making me lean towards Alexander Fleming, even though it's no West End I've still heard great things about that area. I will email UniLet for further information, but thank you!
Reply 88
Does anybody know what the English literature degrees are like? Im thinking of either submitting a late application or applying through Ucas Extra to do English literature/ linguistics or cultural studies. How is Westminister ranked among London Uni's for English?
Reply 89
StotheL
Basically, I'm thinking about Westminster as a university choice..pretty much any good university in London! I'm in my lower sixth year, next years my last however we start applying to universities next year so I'm starting to consider my options now.
I'm thinking about either fashion merchandising management as a course at this uni, or else public relations (mass media, etc). However, I've heard it's incredibly hard to get into the university..so if anyone has any helpful advice, questions or information, fire away. Thanks!

Hii :smile:

My friend got into Westminster for an interview for public relations I think. She's not the smartest girl in the bunch (she's very lovely though), she hasn't any experience in that field as far as I know, but she has experience working in a pub possibly?! She never thought she was going to get in and she did. So if you want to go there, go for it. If you're concerned just stick in hard in your A Levels and then beg your teachers to predict you good grades. My friend didn't actually go to her interview as she didn't want to go to Westminster and didn't want to pay to travel across the country when she didn't care about the uni.

As for polys, I think you best see what courses are on offer. I'm about (95% certain) to chose a poly (Northumbria) over uni's like Newcastle and York for Law because I love the course and I feel it'll give me more oppertunities than going to any of my other more 'respectable' choices, and students from there are chosen over redbrick students as they have first hand experience in the law (they do real cases in 3rd/4th year) which I wouldn't get going to another university. So although prestige can be important it's probably better if you chose the university that you're going to get the best experience out of, and the course/city which you love the best.

:smile: Good luck.
Reply 90
Cherry_BB
I chose Westminster and I am really happy with it.:smile:) It has much more advantages than Kingston or Royal Holloway!

So what about the scholarship offered in Wmin?I don understand how my tutor has to make a comment on my financial situation? In my country it is not common my teachers or anyone else to know about the financial situation in my family.So I find this very odd..

If you can clarify this to me I will appreciate it much:smile:

Hi. Could you please tell me how you have solved the problem with a tutor commenting on your financial situation?I want to apply for the scholarship and have a similar problem. I will also be grateful to you if you can advice me how to write good supporting letter for the scholarship.
I am a current student of Marketing Communications at the University of Westminster and I study at the Harrow Campus. So far I'm loving it!

Infact did you know that the University serves 24,000 students including 5,000 international?
Also, it has the largest scholarship program of it's kind with £4.3 million being awarded every year.

In my opinion, definitely a good choice!
Reply 92
Hey! I am a current student and I have had a really positive experience. I would recommend the university to all wanting to study in a central location. You meet great people and the teaching, in my experience, has been of a high standard. The university has a mix of various different types of people and the campus is modern with great facilities.

I recommend all prospective Westminster students to apply!
What are you studying user_1234?
Reply 94
Hi, i'm thinking about taking a Fashion Buying course at Westminster in September, I wasn't to sure about it but at that list of all those contacts I practically fell in love :biggrin: are you still thinking of applying there? xx
Hi!

I'm currently pursuing my Bachelor's in Management in Bangalore, India. I've been scoring over 75% in the three semesters that I have completed. I'd like to do my Master's at University of Westminster, preferably in Management or perhaps Marketing. DO I stand a good chance at securing a scholarship?
Please help!
Thank you very much!
Reply 96
Do you know any good universities to study law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending