The Student Room Group

Is it okay to do another BA (Hons) after already graduating with a BA (Hons)?

I'm in my final year. Lost and don't know what to do after I graduate. To be honest, I haven't had the university experience that I dreamt of and thus have not achieved what I would like to have achieved. I do not think that I am going to graduate with a 2:1 let alone a first! I am very much capable of these grades though. Initally, I thought it would be a good idea to do a masters but now seeing how my grades are coming along, I am thinking maybe I won't earn a place on a masters course. I wanted or want to do a masters course to better my qualifications and also have the university experience that I wish I had.

Anyway, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to choose another university and choose a subject that I am actually passionate about. Is it unusual for people to embark on two BA (Hons) degrees?
Reply 1
Yes. In fact, believe it or not, it's actually illegal.
Reply 2
Lol :smile:

It's fairly unusual because you'll have to pay for it all yourself. There's absolutely no funding for second undergrad degrees, which makes it a very expensive option.

However, I do know a number of people who've got into Master's courses with 2:2s. Since you'll have to pay either way, why not just go on and take an MA/MSc? If you do a good interview, and can get a good reference, a low degree result need not necessarily be a bar. My experience when I was considering an MA was that your degree result often came second to your ability to pay ...
Reply 3
in places like academia you find people with two bachelors/masters/doctorates, but it's certainly not so common in the "real world" of work. it's expensive for a start, and not always necessary. a 2:2 is enough to apply for various jobs with big companies (bae systems, for example), and those with a 2:2 sometimes do a one year postgrad masters to help. conversion courses exist too (in fields like psychology, teaching and law). it all depends what your reasons for doing a second undergrad degree are (lifestyle vs. grades vs. new subject). all three of these can be attained at postgrad level, which could be quicker and cheaper too, depending on what you do...
I know someone who did a medicine degree then a dentistry degree. Madness! :eek4:
Reply 5
You could do an NHS funded course but not another arts degree without funding it yourself
Reply 6
I know quite a few people do a second BA in law because they had a change in mind over their future careers. Usually they shorten the course to 2 years I believe for graduate students for some universities (including some oxbridge colleges I think).
Reply 7
The things people will do to get out of work!
Reply 8
I know someone who has done an undergrad degree, then phd and is NOW doing medicine!
I'd aim for the masters - plenty of masters courses accept a variety of degree backgrounds.
Everybody in the place, let's go!
Reply 11
there is no point doing 2 degrees in my opinion. Having a degree is proof of a certain standard of education.

What I mean by this is you see people with all sorts of degrees going into jobs that are completley non related. The degree however will still benefit them.

Latest

Trending

Trending