The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
history is one of the most highly rated subjects you can take. It does not harm your chances in any way. It is likely to boost your chances as its one of the hardest A Levels as it asks so much from the student
*chosen_one*

oh btw does anyone know of a website which can give you general entry requirements for courses?? i know there is an obvious one but im having a stupid day:confused:

The UCAS website.
Reply 3
Good bloke
The UCAS website.

thnx i am having a very stupid day

*to the UCAS website*
Reply 4
I believe Geography is seen as a good choice of a fourth subject for engineering by some (I think I may have seen this on the Cambridge website)
Well, Further Maths would be ideal but if there's no way you could take it, you have the 3 best subjects possible, so History would be a good subject to take-very respected and it's something completely different. It would only harm your application if you could have done Further Maths but then didn't...they'd probably wonder why you didn't take FM.
http://www.fmnetwork.org.uk/get_involved.php theres some further info on how you could do further maths if you college doesnt offer it at the moment
I'd strongly recommend you doing at least an AS in further maths, even if it means learning it yourself.
Im thinking of taking AS FM myself glutamic, not sure if id be able to cope with the A2 module. Going to see how i do in normal AS maths before trying further in year 13
It's probably worth doing it, as FP1 is the only FM module you need to do for an AS. There's also D1 which if you're considering doing computer science (which I think you've said from your other posts) has some content that'd be similar to some CS topics.
Nah, im picking mechanics so i wouldnt have the groundwork for d1
I would do AS further maths over 2 years!
Im doing further maths at the moment and did the AS in jan. I did this with 1 hour of tuition a week. A2 on the other hand is hard and requires a lot of my time!
im defo doing FM in my gap year but the thought of FP2 and FP3 sends shivers down my spine. :smile:
steve2006
im defo doing FM in my gap year but the thought of FP2 and FP3 sends shivers down my spine. :smile:

FP2 and FP3 are not easy! You would need some help with these, I am spending too much time just doing further maths at the moment!
Reply 14
Hey, i wanna do engineering too. So here's what i found out:
MATHS AND PHYSICS DEFINETLY!
Further Maths: Forget it, unless you love maths or u really desperate to get into IMPERIAL, there's no need, Maths and physics is enough
Chemistry: ONLY if you wanna do Chemical Engineering, other than that Chemistry IS HARDDDDDDDDDDD, so you may try go for something easier.
Geography: Easy, respected and shows ur not maths geek you can go into the art side as well.
History: AMAZIN choice, with maths n physics its look gr8
Computing: worth considerin, computer science is part of the engineering departments unis, so check it out. But from my friends its apparently boring

Hope i helped
Reply 15
Sorry for hijacking

What is the usefulness of English Lit. A2?

That is, with Maths, Physics A2 and Further Maths AS for Engineering Degree?
No, History will enhance your application if anything.

Nice to have a contrasting subject, etc.

:smile:
Reply 17
Not at all :smile:
jakdax77

Further Maths: Forget it, unless you love maths or u really desperate to get into IMPERIAL, there's no need, Maths and physics is enough

That must be why my son's Oxford engineering offer is for A grades in physics, chemistry and further mathematics then, completely ignoring mathematics altogether.
steve2006

There are loads of modules to choose from, with certain restrictions, and to do maths with FM you only need to do 12, including FP1 (and i assume C1 C2 C3 C4, perhaps one of FP2 and FP3, and only doing a higher applied module if you have done the easier one (ie can only do M2 if you have done M1)). I'm only doing FP3, not FP2 aswell, and it seems ok if i knuckle down and learn it.

To the original poster, don't be deterred from doing the further AS if you think you are not able to keep up. The workload doesn't increase that much truthfully.
I'm doing C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D2 M1 M2 S1 S2 FP1 and FP3, (sorry, not sure which go where this is for my maths w/FM), but to do a maths with AS FM you need to do 9 modules. you should be able to pick 9 from whatever courses your school does that minimise the extra workload. C1 C2 C3 C4 D1 D2 M1 M2 FP1 would be what i'd choose for you if possible (for the easiest time i would choose S1 instead of M2, but you want to do mechanics). You're probably doing C1 C2 C3 C4 and 2 of the easy applied (D1 M1 S1), or M1 and M2. D1 and D2 are easy extras, infact D2 is easier than D1 as there is less to learn and it's all simple anyway. Just some algorithms, and methods of working through questions. FP1 seems a little harder. If you like graph work then some of it will be good, not too much extra to learn though other than that, just touches on a couple of new things.

They should accept you fine if you do well in the subjects you've already chosen anyway. Its just if you choose to do maths at uni, they may accept a lower accompanying grade if you have more than one good maths grade :biggrin:

Latest