The Student Room Group

Weirdest A-level combinations people have gotten in with?

Scroll to see replies

I do English Language English Lit Law Media Studies going to do LAW!!!

Can't really comment coz I dont do any sciency mathmo subjects but I kinda see that essay subjects may be harder coz with those you have more chance of bein misread at least with sciency mathmo its either right or wrong!

Don't mean to offend!!
Media, PE and Communication Studies.

:wink:
Physics Chemistry and Art

for Architecture.
Reply 43
I herad someone at my school got into Jesus College, Oxford to do English with English, English lit, art, Physics and Geography(AS, I think). :biggrin: And she also did lots work experience at a nursing home. o__O
Reply 44
My friend from my old school studied Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English and got into Cambridge to study Asian studies?????
Reply 45
French, English Lit, Chemistry, Physics and Maths/mechanics to study French and Arabic.

It's not all that weird in that I do have two related subjects there, but people always ask why I bother doing all the sciences too. It's partly because I wasn't sure whether I'd apply for sciences or languages (and am still not sure that I won't change my mind later...) and partly because I like science. One of my interviewers at Cambridge even told me "You're a scientist." :s-smilie:
greenerwhiterblacker
Load of rubbish :P --- its waaay easier than the essay subjects

I agree. Physics is a piece of cake - especially if you enjoy the subject.
I have to admit, I find Chemistry more of a challenge. And English (and other essay subjects) are as hard as you want to make them. :wink:

I had quite a weird choice of subjects.
Applying for English Lang. and Lit.
Taking A-levels in: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Lang. and Lit.

But its no disadvantage. The English Lecturer at Downing College, Cambridge thought it was quite a novelty and was really encouraging. But unfortunately, I don't think Trinity College, Cambridge thought along the same lines - applied to Trinity to get pooled, then rejected. :frown: Ah well, got offers from Durham and St. Andrews.
Reply 47
autumn_breeze04
I agree. Physics is a piece of cake - especially if you enjoy the subject.
I have to admit, I find Chemistry more of a challenge. And English (and other essay subjects) are as hard as you want to make them. :wink:

I had quite a weird choice of subjects.
Applying for English Lang. and Lit.
Taking A-levels in: Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English Lang. and Lit.

But its no disadvantage. The English Lecturer at Downing College, Cambridge thought it was quite a novelty and was really encouraging. But unfortunately, I don't think Trinity College, Cambridge thought along the same lines - applied to Trinity to get pooled, then rejected. :frown: Ah well, got offers from Durham and St. Andrews.

I have Theatre Studies (AS only), English Lit, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. No-one mentioned it, except for the UCL lecturer who found it fascinating! Most Physics applicants are Chem/Phys/Maths, in my experience. Made me not want to turn UCL down, because the prof was cool! :frown:
Music, Psychology and English Lit (AS Geography) for Classical Archaeology and Ancient History at Oxford.
chemistry history biology and english lit

stuck between the idea of an arts and a science degree
Reply 50
lemonpancake

So you resurrected a 2 year old thread about people who have got into Oxford or Cambridge, to say that you haven't decided what course to do yet? :rolleyes:
Reply 51
lemonpancake

This isn't even a particularly weird combination.
Bekaboo
So you resurrected a 2 year old thread about people who have got into Oxford or Cambridge, to say that you haven't decided what course to do yet? :rolleyes:

ha oops sorry.
i didn't realise it was two years old
Reply 53
Resurrection ftw

Many people think that double Maths, Physics and Computing is not a suitable combination for Law. I guess I will find out soon enough.
Spanish, French, Maths and Further Maths.

I personally think it works for a langauges course, but I can clearly see why people would think I'm not all there. XD Seriously, told one of my mates my options and she just stared at me for ages, then went "... so when are you getting your life back?"
Reply 55
trance addict
aahahahhahahaha
hahahahha
hahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahhahah

its regarded the hardest a level... worse than maths :s-smilie:

I went into my last physics module needing a 45% average over that and the practical to get an A. Infact, its more likely ill get an A in physics than in art, and i'm going to be reading art next year! Everyone I know is pretty confident, its the chemists who have been saying their Alvls have been hard!

I suppose my choices of Physics, Maths, Further Maths, and Art are odd, but it doesn't matter too much for art (although, there are large HoA modules in the Ox course). It was questioned at interview, but I think I worked it to my advantage. Most students have English Lit, Music, History, Design, etc

scarlet ibis
Physics Chemistry and Art

for Architecture.

aside from not having maths, that is probably one of the most common architecture combinations..
My friend does Maths, Physics, Philosophy, Art and German :p: she's going to be studying physics and philosophy next year though, so the weird subject combo does KIND of make sense :lol:
Reply 57
A friends did photography, french, maths and history. Did not get in, but got pooled for History.
Mine was only half odd.

French, German, Maths and Further Maths for MML. :smile:
Well I haven't gotten in yet.. But applying for Experimental Psychology at Oxford with Psychology, Maths, French, Dance and an Extended Project :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending