The Student Room Group

Language assistant - not studying MFL

Hi,

I've been on the British Council's website about becoming a language assistant for a year after I graduate (next year). Ideally, I would like to go to French-speaking Switzerland but would be happy with France or Belgium. The problem is that I'm not studying languages at university; I read history. However, I've always been really interested in languages and achieved grade A at A-level French, the minimum requirement asked for by the British Council. My questions are, a. Has anybody on here applied successfully to be a language assistant with simply A-level standard (regardless of country/language), and/or b. Do people think that I would struggle linguistically?

Thanks for any help! :smile:
Reply 1
Trundle
Hi,

I've been on the British Council's website about becoming a language assistant for a year after I graduate (next year). Ideally, I would like to go to French-speaking Switzerland but would be happy with France or Belgium. The problem is that I'm not studying languages at university; I read history. However, I've always been really interested in languages and achieved grade A at A-level French, the minimum requirement asked for by the British Council. My questions are, a. Has anybody on here applied successfully to be a language assistant with simply A-level standard (regardless of country/language), and/or b. Do people think that I would struggle linguistically?

Thanks for any help! :smile:

You wrote this ages ago, hope it's still relevant?

I don't know personally, as I do French and I am *hopefully* doing the language assistant thing next year... but I do know of people that have gone without being on a degree and seem to get a lot out of it. You might have more trouble at the beginning, especially as you might be a bit rusty...and you've got to think that when you get there you're going to have to open a bank account, get a mobile, find somewhere to live etc. But if you're confident I think you'd pick it up pretty quickly when you're out there... you don't have much choice!

Latest