The Student Room Group

My last 3 months

So, I've decided that for 6 months I want to travel around India, and so will have 3 months spare at the end. I have narrowed my choices of destinations to; SE Asia, South America (+ maybe central america), NE Asia (Mainly China) or Southern Africa... Does anyone have any particular preferences out of these, and if so could you please say why, cos I'm really stuck atm.. thnx :biggrin:
Reply 1
South America. Great history, great food, great scenery and very easy to travel between the various countries. Obviously the best country in all of South America is Peru :biggrin:

Africa! Malawi, Tanzania, Mozambique etc... would probably be my dream trip. I have never seen anywhere like Malawi, it was beautiful and everybody I met was so lovely, I cried when I had to leave!
I'm off to SE Asia on Monday and hopefully that will be equally as good!
Reply 3
You should read about all the countries your interested in. Posting on here is just going to get a load of people saying you should goto the places they have.

How much money do you have to spend for the 3 months? Do you want to hop around many places or just stay in 1/2 countries for the 3 months? Are you sure u want to spend 6months in India, its quite a long time, are you on a volunteer program there or just traveling?
Reply 4
supersteiger
I have never seen anywhere like Malawi, it was beautiful and everybody I met was so lovely, I cried when I had to leave!

I adore Malawi - I spent a month there, and had the time of my life. We were in the north mainly, trekking in beautiful parts, doing charity work - and the people were all amazingly friendly. I still can't actually believe it happened: we had loads of fun times too, meeting some really random people! It was my first time in true Africa as well, and now I know why people call it 'the warm heart of Africa'.
Peru just is NOT the best country in south america! It was by far the dirtiest and most touristy country I encountered. Columbia, or Bolivia in my opinion!
Reply 6
You just have to know where to go. If you avoid Cusco, then the rest is lovely. Bolivia is not a good place to go currently- there have been a lot of hostage-takings recently and a revolution is in the works. Colombia is lovely, but just not as pretty as Peru. I do recommend Ecuador though- it's lovely and yet it's off the tourist trail.

I presume you haven't visited Colombia if you say Peru is dirty.
Llamaaa
You just have to know where to go. If you avoid Cusco, then the rest is lovely. Bolivia is not a good place to go currently- there have been a lot of hostage-takings recently and a revolution is in the works. Colombia is lovely, but just not as pretty as Peru. I do recommend Ecuador though- it's lovely and yet it's off the tourist trail.

I presume you haven't visited Colombia if you say Peru is dirty.

Colombia was ten times as pretty as peru! Are we talking about the same country? Where abouts in Peru do you suggest going?
And I've just came from Bolivia after living there for 6 months, didn't hear of any hostage takings, and a revolution is NOT in the works. More like political change... :P

Mmm, there were a few places in Colombia that weren't the cleanest, Santa Marta being the most memorable. But everywhere in Peru was disgusting! Except Cusco, probably because all the money is spent keeping it clean for tourists.
Reply 8
In Peru did you see Cajamarca? Trujillo? Tumbes? Pucllapa? Huaraz? Manu? They are really beautiful places, many in the rainforest. They are not dirty in the slightest. Have you been to Bogota? That place is simply vile. Santa Marta also is nasty. Cali also is a bit rough. In San Cipriano there were rats coming out of the river where people were buying floats to go on. I don't see how you can say peru is dirty if you have been to any of those places. In Peru there are shift workers who clean the streets 24 hours a day, and it is the only country in South America to have a health standards agency which closes restaurants down if they are not clean enough. I take it you haven't been to Sao Paolo either?

Political change plus resurfacing of guerilla forces= revolution in my book, hence why the USA is less willing to give visas, and argentina have banned their citizens from traveling there altogether.
Reply 9
I would suggest staying in Asia and either go North and do Nepal(I'd recommend a month, but it depends when you're going to be there and how much you like your outdoor activities), a trip to Tibet (has to be arranged though a tour operator- Kathmandu is full of them will cost about $400. if you have any interest in ever going here then do it asap- preferably before the Olympics) and then carry on through China. Or go east and do SE Asia, I've not done it yet but it's planned for summer '09 and I'm already really excited about it! As amazing as other areas of the world are it's much cheaper to stay in Asia as you won't have to get a long flight anywhere and there are few places in the world cheaper than Nepal. If you want any advice about what to see and do in Nepal then feel free to ask. Have fun whatever you do!
Llamaaa
In Peru did you see Cajamarca? Trujillo? Tumbes? Pucllapa? Huaraz? Manu? They are really beautiful places, many in the rainforest. They are not dirty in the slightest. Have you been to Bogota? That place is simply vile. Santa Marta also is nasty. Cali also is a bit rough. In San Cipriano there were rats coming out of the river where people were buying floats to go on. I don't see how you can say peru is dirty if you have been to any of those places. In Peru there are shift workers who clean the streets 24 hours a day, and it is the only country in South America to have a health standards agency which closes restaurants down if they are not clean enough. I take it you haven't been to Sao Paolo either?

Political change plus resurfacing of guerilla forces= revolution in my book, hence why the USA is less willing to give visas, and argentina have banned their citizens from traveling there altogether.

Digging up this post a bit, but WHAT!?! How can you compare Bogotá, a capital city, with Cajamarca? Compare Bogotá with Lima and then, oh now I see why you did it, Lima is a dirty uninspiring dangerous city. Peru is also full of tourists and Colombia is just as beautiful and yet far more diverse (Peru lacks anything remotely like Cartagena or the Caribbean coast). Peru when I went (2005) was far more dangerous for tourists than Colombia - every other bus on the coastal road down to Lima was being hijacked or crashing off the side of the road. Everyone I met who'd been to Colombia said it was their favourite country. It's a must see for anyone who visits the continent.
Reply 11
moley
Digging up this post a bit, but WHAT!?! How can you compare Bogotá, a capital city, with Cajamarca? Compare Bogotá with Lima and then, oh now I see why you did it, Lima is a dirty uninspiring dangerous city. Peru is also full of tourists and Colombia is just as beautiful and yet far more diverse (Peru lacks anything remotely like Cartagena or the Caribbean coast). Peru when I went (2005) was far more dangerous for tourists than Colombia - every other bus on the coastal road down to Lima was being hijacked or crashing off the side of the road. Everyone I met who'd been to Colombia said it was their favourite country. It's a must see for anyone who visits the continent.

I compared because the person I was replying to had said that all of peru is dirty and all of colombia is clean. I just gave examples to the contrary.

Maybe peru was more dangerous then (although I think you are exaggerating given that I was living there and there were very few such incidents) but now colombia has taken that title! At least the sendero luminoso is pretty much eradicated in peru, while colombia still has plenty of farc terrorists. Plus they've had a lot of bus hijackings in the last month or so, while Peru hasn't had any for a few years.

Regardless of the argument, both countries are worth going to. I just argue for Peru because I am proud to have nationality and the country has been very kind to me, and I have never been to a nicer, more hospitable country in my life (and I have been to almost all of South America before you suggest otherwise :wink: )
Llamaaa
I compared because the person I was replying to had said that all of peru is dirty and all of colombia is clean. I just gave examples to the contrary.

Maybe peru was more dangerous then (although I think you are exaggerating given that I was living there and there were very few such incidents) but now colombia has taken that title! At least the sendero luminoso is pretty much eradicated in peru, while colombia still has plenty of farc terrorists. Plus they've had a lot of bus hijackings in the last month or so, while Peru hasn't had any for a few years.

Regardless of the argument, both countries are worth going to. I just argue for Peru because I am proud to have nationality and the country has been very kind to me, and I have never been to a nicer, more hospitable country in my life (and I have been to almost all of South America before you suggest otherwise :wink: )

No worries amigo, although FARC is disintegrating at the moment and anywhere a tourist is likely to go is pretty much safe. Violence from paramilitary groups and drug traffickers are the biggest threat to Colombia's security. There's been sporadic violence related to Shining Path in Peru but nothing to worry a traveller.

Cajamarca was very pretty but I guess my problem is associating Peru with the hoards of British and Israeli tourists (of which, admittedly, I was one) whereas Colombia had an atmosphere of adventure the whole way through. But each to their own.
Llamaaa
I do recommend Ecuador though- it's lovely and yet it's off the tourist trail.

I'm going there for 3 months after exams - I can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 14
moley
No worries amigo, although FARC is disintegrating at the moment and anywhere a tourist is likely to go is pretty much safe. Violence from paramilitary groups and drug traffickers are the biggest threat to Colombia's security. There's been sporadic violence related to Shining Path in Peru but nothing to worry a traveller.

Cajamarca was very pretty but I guess my problem is associating Peru with the hoards of British and Israeli tourists (of which, admittedly, I was one) whereas Colombia had an atmosphere of adventure the whole way through. But each to their own.

My experience was the complete opposite- where I live there are no tourists whatsoever, and the only place where I have seen them is Machu Picchu (and Cusco) while in Colombia I couldn't escape them. They were everywhere. I guess it depends on where you go/the time of year.

Latest