The Student Room Group

Repeating Final Year of Uni

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone could offer some advice. I'm doing my final year at the moment at MMU and I've realised I've done so badly so far because of personal problems I had since before the start of last september. I've had counselling and sorted myself out, but now that I've looked into what I need to achieve to do an MSc it's looking pretty bleak. It will be practically impossible to get a 2.i for me at the moment.
I end up getting a 70% average if I hand my work in, but this year I've been so down I've not even handed work in or done any, and I've lost a huge amount of marks.

Basically, I want to repeat my final year, I really need another shot at it. Does anyone know if it's possible to do this, and has anyone experienced this before? I have no idea if I'll even be allowed, and whether I'll recieve less funding (I've not repeated my 1st or 2nd years.)

Would really appreciate some advice on how to do this!

Reply 1
Um, I was under the impression that you can't repeat your final year? :s-smilie:
Or, if you have to, wouldn't the most you could get be a 40% average?

Sorry to be asking gloomy questions, but this is what I always thought.

If you've been having personal problems, you can go to mitigations - who then try and factor that in to your results.
The best person to talk to about this (and attempting to repeat your year) is probably your personal tutor or head of department.
Reply 2
I'm not sure, I know a few people who have quit before Christmas, and someone who quit before Easter and they were allowed to repeat, but I'm not sure about being capped at 40%. If the marks get capped then I might as well carry on with it.
I sent my personal tutor an e-mail, but he hasn't replied yet. This is really stressing me out!
you can't repeat the final year. if you fail you can take your exams again - but you are only awarded a max of 40.

the only advice i can give is to take a year out - and do your final year next september
Sylvia1986
I'm not sure, I know a few people who have quit before Christmas, and someone who quit before Easter and they were allowed to repeat, but I'm not sure about being capped at 40%. If the marks get capped then I might as well carry on with it.
I sent my personal tutor an e-mail, but he hasn't replied yet. This is really stressing me out!

but did they repeat? because they left before x,mas i assume they were not entered for the exams . . .so therefore they wouldn't be repeating
Reply 5
Sylvia1986

I'm making the assumption of a 40% cap from the knowledge that at Brum if you have to re-submit an essay, or re-take an exam (for reasons other than illness or extraneous circumstance), then the maximum you can score is that.
I'm sure your tutor will reply soon - he/she might be busy at present.
Reply 6
You can only repeat your last year under severe circumstances. Talk to your adviser ASAP! Also chat with your SA if they have an advice and support setup.
Reply 7
hermaphrodite
but did they repeat? because they left before x,mas i assume they were not entered for the exams . . .so therefore they wouldn't be repeating

But surely you wouldn't be allowed to carry over any marks that you'd accumulated this 'year' to your new one (i.e. essays written before the exams) - if you see what I mean. So it wouldn't matter when you dropped out, you could only ever get a 40% score max.

OP - I guess it really hinges on how your degree is marked. You mentioned having some work before final-year exams, so it doesn't sound advisable that you drop out now...
Wait for your PT to reply, but for my $0.02, if you were having personal problems earlier in the year, you should have informed mitigations then. We're always told to get in touch with them ASAP if we feel we have mitigating circumstances.

They could've given you extensions etc for your earlier pieces of work, as well as for the exams.
Maybe you should drop them an email now too, and see if they could help you?
Reply 8
Erm also, my bad, I think the correct term is deferring! I'm being stupid. I wouldn't have to repeat my year in essence, just quit now and start again.
Reply 9
Sylvia1986
Erm also, my bad, I think the correct term is deferring! I'm being stupid. I wouldn't have to repeat my year in essence, just quit now and start again.

If you have any marks awarded up to now, this won't be possible as they have to use your first attempt. You could get everything scrapped under special circumstances though.
Sylvia1986

but you have already done half a year?

so basically you want to defer the last sememster to jan 2009 and graduate jun 2009?
Reply 11
Okay so I just spoke to a friend about it and he said if I defer now, I would be able to start over next september, basically taking a year out. Thanks hermaphrodite, I think that's what I'll have to do. Sorry for the confusion, I meant defer the year. I haven't done the exams yet.

Also Ad-Alta, the essays and such next year will be completely different, so if I defer now, get a job til september, then start over, I'll be writing essays all over again.

I'm assuming if I manage to defer now, I can start over in september, because I haven't been entered for exams, and hopefully the marks for the year won't be capped?

Thanks so much for the help, really :smile: I'll have to go speak to someone at the advice centre.

Also, just wondering, if I defer now, will I not get my final loan instalment for this year?
Reply 12
Erm, I'm really not sure. My friend quit around christmas 2006 and started over in september 2007 and was going to lectures from sept to Jan. Even if it means that I'll have to keep the marks from sept-jan, I still want to defer because I can't possibly do well right now.
Reply 13
Hi there,
i am in a similar position, i am studying my final year of law at mmu, i was juist wondering what the outcome to your solution is? what did your personal tutor say? if i ask to take a year out and start next sept, would it be possible and if so would the marks be capped at 40%? THANKS
Reply 14
You SHOULD be able to -- my sister just dropped out after finishing her first term from January till September to start her third year all over again due to personal problems as well. Seems like you may be running out of time though!

Good luck!
Reply 15
Sylvia1986 - if your personal tutor hasn't responded by next week, get on to Student Welfare and ask them for help. You should be able to negotiate deferring until next year, whether or not you can or have to "bank" any coursework you have already done. Don't leave it any longer -
Yes, that's what happened to me when I forgot to submit my work on time. It was capped to 40% and still showed my actual mark 63% next to my capped mark. That was painful to see. Hope that helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending