The Student Room Group

Is university a waste of time?

Scroll to see replies

You might want to research things before you blurt them out in complete ignorance.

Nice one for completely owning that guy!
I'm doing philosophy next year, and hope to either teach it, or maybe combine it with a management degree which i might do after...
but yeah my 'dream job' would be to teach philosophy, since i love the subject and really enjoy it in class

Peace!
Reply 41
I could go abroad and teach English with no qualifications at all, in some countries.

I just want to get the further knowledge and life experience that university brings. <3
Okay, I think everyone who's going to/attending university has thought about this, and yes there are thousands of people who don't get as far as they expect with that degree. But my advice would be not to think about that, think about the alternative, if you struggle to get a good job with a degree, think how bad it would be if you didn't have one, at least you're given the chance of success, without a degree, that chance is massively lowered.
Reply 43
Arrrgh
From what i have gathered, many degrees are absolutely worthless without a masters or a phd.

There are only a few courses that you can get jobs with straight away after a person has finished uni.

Most people with graduate jobs get them after their first degree. But it really depends on the degree and the career. Some careers (especially in the medical field) will require more study, but most will not.
I have a BA (Hons) and a Msc in Environmental Planning, both with a 2:1 classification. I even had my dissertation published by the Uni. I have gone out and did voluntary work at a local council to gain experience. However, when I apply for jobs nobody is interested because your "only a graduate."...I genuinely wish I hadnt bothered with Uni and just went and learned a trade like plastering or something. Once upon a time a Degree gave you a good angle to grind but those days are definately over....
Reply 45
Are GCSEs a waste of time?
Most casual jobs don't require any formal education and you can still get onto an apprenticeship even if you failed all your exams.

Only do a degree is you think you need it. I.e. are you planning on applying for graduate schemes after uni?

Also, don't confuse "dream job" with "a realistic job that I would be happy doing".

My dream job is to become a superstar producer and DJ but how realistic is that? Becoming a qualified accountant would be a much easier and more secure option.
Reply 46
Apfel
I could go abroad and teach English with no qualifications at all, in some countries.

I just want to get the further knowledge and life experience that university brings. <3

Yes but most countries are now asking for a degree of some sort, this shows that you are educated.

to add to this university would, help you cope with living away from home and build up life skills on caring for yourself :]
Reply 47
Ditto on university building independence.

I've got mates that never went to uni and they're content with staying in their hometown for the rest of their lives. It's nice to not forget your roots, but there's a whole world out there to explore. Uni gives you an sense of freedom and confidence to try new things.
Arrrgh
From what i have gathered, many degrees are absolutely worthless without a masters or a phd.

There are only a few courses that you can get jobs with straight away after a person has finished uni.

I've heard of lots of cases where a person has a degree in law for example but has ended up working full time at sainsburys because despite having a degree, they cannot go any further with it, jobwise as it requires qualifications at further education which probably takes another 6-8 years to achieve and some people just give up with it all.

I'm 17 at the moment and i've applied for psychology at uni, only to find out that it would probably take me roughly, 13 years to be a clincal psychologist, thats including a masters degree, a phd, a medical degree, entering a foundation 1 & 2 programme which would probably last around 2 years + speciality training for around 6 years....i'll be about 30 by then!! And it's not just psychology, this also applies for many other academic courses too.

I mean, is there anyone here with a degree, that are actually working successfully in their dream job?

Is there anyone here in a position to prove that university can be worthwhile?

Let me put it this way, at what age will you become a clincal psychologist if you don't go to uni? Never.
Reply 49
RyanT
Take maths/economics/finance/engineering/computer science at a decent uni and you will be fine. Some other subjects are OK (not sciences though, crap pay - but medicine good etc). Anything else is taking a gamble.

Anything from an ex-poly is extremely dubious though.

So not sciences and no art subjects? Seems a bit narrow minded to me... not everyone is suited to sciency subjects.
i think the majority of a level students just think they done there a levels so i may as well go to uni, and are abit niave and think they will just get a job like that.
i have alot of friends who didnt go to uni and are better off then most students because they actually thought about things and took a step back.
For instance my friend who did an apprentiship in plumbing after two years the same time as a levels had finished and was on around £25000 which is decent as all you need is c's in gcses.
The army i have friends who are non commissioned and they make £30000 for being in germany and only have to do 12 years and they get half pensions which is £30000 in your hand and £300 pound a month.
I believe that most people need to look at the bigger picture fine if you want to go to uni go but dont go just for the sake of it because you may regret it.
jimbob19862k9
i think the majority of a level students just think they done there a levels so i may as well go to uni, and are abit niave and think they will just get a job like that.
i have alot of friends who didnt go to uni and are better off then most students because they actually thought about things and took a step back.

Most A-Level students i have talked to are definetly naive. They just aren't in the real world and think that as soon as they get out of uni they'll be in their dream job. It's like the schools are feeding them tons of rubbish careers advice.

Things just aren't like that anymore. In the days where everyones dog and cat have degrees employers just aren't looking at them as much anymore.

I know we're in a recession, but there are loads of options other than university.

I've been to university and to be completely honest i thought it was a waste of time. I'm getting more opportunities, skills and njoyment out of volunteering. I'm about to start a placement with my local council in the Youth Services soon

I would have never known any of this from Connexions. All they said when i went to them when i was young was "university university university university university!!!"
Original post by Tajel
The UK has managed to transform its tertiary education system into a conveyor belt to related employment....at least in grads' minds.

Undergraduate courses should equip you with the skills necessary to find, analyze, synthesize and present data and conclusions. It should not teach you facts alone. It need have no bearing at all on the field you choose to work in. As an employer, which would you rather have - a person with a mediocre degree in business studies or a person with an excellent degree in history?

Neither. I'd want the guy who can do the job

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending