The Student Room Group

How much do you get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Up until september, I was on approx. £25,000. Then I became a student. :sigh:
£16,000 p/a 37 hour week.
Reply 162
6.74 per hour..im 16 and working at marks and spencers
my first job at 16 i was being paid £6.24 per hour

my job now at 17 i get paid £6.85 for the first two hours (unsociable hours) and then the rest are £5.05 a hour.
Reply 164
£3.68 an hour wah :frown: In a fish and chip shop hehe
Reply 165
£6.22 an hour and time and half on Sundays at B&Q- do 16 hours a week
Reply 166
At what rate of pay is it actually not worth working and going to the Jobs and Benefits office instead?
£5 an hour +tips at a hairdressers :smile: Usually only work for 7 hours a week. Tips really do make all the difference!
Original post by Rach L
This may come across as rude, so you don't need to answer if you don't want to, but I was wondering where you worked and how much you get paid (and I guess what your job is then!).

I work in Millets (an outdoor shop) at weekends (I'm only a 4 hour contract, but end up working 8/10/12 normally) and get £3.65 an hour... I'm only 16 though.

I get paid £20 for working in my mums shop now and then :wink:

Original post by Rubix
£10 an hour teaching 11 year olds how to pass their 11 plus exams.. £700 to date... :smile:

When i first read your comment i thought you said TOUCHING! :P
Reply 169
I get £6.08 an hour and I work in a garden centre restaurant :smile:
Reply 170
About £6.83 and I do 15 hours a week (Tesco).
Reply 171
Im 17 and I work in IKEA. In the restaurant/bistro. I get 6.57ph. However if I pick up any shifts in th kitchen I get 7.10. Contactes 10 hours, though I normally work more

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
Reply 172
£6.65 at Tesco
Reply 173
£4.98 at a restaurant and ice cream parlour.

Tips make my day. :smile:
£7.88 an hour as a support worker. I'm also starting a full time job in July which is salaried, £14,500 pro rata. I'm 22, so I suppose that's a decent amount of money to be making at this age.
ummm £6.40 an hour for part time catering at events and £9.50 when i start at the olympics i think it was :smile:
Reply 176
Maybe someone can help me to work it out more precisely, but it would seem that if you are making any less than £6.50 an hr you are better off on the dole!
Original post by ufo2012
Maybe someone can help me to work it out more precisely, but it would seem that if you are making any less than £6.50 an hr you are better off on the dole!

yeah but wouldn't you rather get experience than having just being at home doing nothing with your life, just rejecting all the jobs offered because they're lower than 6.50per hour and having people think your hopeless or lazy?
Reply 178
Original post by KellySapphire
yeah but wouldn't you rather get experience than having just being at home doing nothing with your life, just rejecting all the jobs offered because they're lower than 6.50per hour and having people think your hopeless or lazy?

You would need to ask someone on Jobseekers that question, I would also be interested to hear the true answer.

I would have to imagine though that they'd be quite happy getting that amount for doing nothing - as really, why would you want to work hard for someone or some company who, when it comes down to it in reality is just using you by paying you less than this amount for your efforts?

As for "having people think you're hopeless or lazy" - this is the wrong attitude to take, as you say people may talk, but the thing to remember is that people will ALWAYS talk, be it good or bad - but in the end it is YOU who must pay your bills and choose accordingly how you will do it.

Any company or firm (or anywhere) paying less than this should be boycotted, both by potential employees and customers.

Maybe if the media brought such issues to light something might actually be done about it.

The alternative is to demand more holidays - tbh I like the idea of both - more pay AND more holidays!
(edited 11 years ago)
£4 an hour at a local garden centre and I'm 16. I usually just work a Saturday 9-6 but got plenty more shifts for the summer as exams are almost finished.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply