The Student Room Group

Emotional approach to History?

I'm not looking for academic help (maybe this is the wrong forum, but most of you are History students!) but seeking opinions on an emotional approach to learning History...

As inspired by one of Nicolas Sarkozy's plans- to "twin" pupil's with Nazi victims

I am not referring to this specific case (I do appreciate that the very nature of the topic makes the plans obviously controversial), but History in general...what are your opinions on an emotional approach?

Opinions?
"Most teaching unions have condemned the proposal as ill-considered and likely to place too great an emotional and psychological burden on the young."

I'll agree with that statement. I'm sorry but kids are meant to be kids, they shouldn't have to live through any unnecessary pain - emotional or otherwise - for the sake of preventing racism. In fact, is this going to prevent racism, or inspire anti-German racism?

In general, I think History needs a somewhat objectified approach. In truth, everyone will have some kind of emotional feelings about parts of it - why force it further?
Reply 2
I pretty much agree.

Yeah, 10 is far too young. And sure, people should learn about the demise of Holocaust victims but I don't think "twinning" is the greatest idea either...

I understand the intentions behind the idea, but you're right, it could stir up other prejudices...
Reply 3
I whole-heartedly disagree. I was shown Schindler's List aged about 13 and I'm extremely glad of it. Making the holocaust just another part of History, generally regarded amongst kids to be boring and unimportant, is not good enough. I'm no Sarkozy fan, but he's absolutely right this time.
Reply 4
I actually don't mind the idea. I think this would allow the closest it could get for 11 year olds to feel for those victims and it would help them to learn against racism and stuff from an early age. Of course, total empathy is hard and even harder for an 11 year old but its better for them to go deeper into the issue rather than seeing just a number on the page showing how many has died. However possibly it may be better if they were a few years younger before they are exposed to such cruelty that was experienced just not so long ago.
Reply 5
Sorry, and no doubt I will get flamed for this, but I think regarding the Holocaust as different from all the rest of history. Yes, it is undoubtedly a tragedy, don't get me wrong. But there have been many tragedies in history, and I think that these should be recognised, not maligned as merely boring and unimportant, with the holocaust beind held at a different level.
Reply 6
Dionysus
I whole-heartedly disagree. I was shown Schindler's List aged about 13 and I'm extremely glad of it. Making the holocaust just another part of History, generally regarded amongst kids to be boring and unimportant, is not good enough. I'm no Sarkozy fan, but he's absolutely right this time.

But there's a difference between watching Schindler's list at 13 and being "twinned" with a Holocaust victim at the age of 10...
Spike4848
Sorry, and no doubt I will get flamed for this, but I think regarding the Holocaust as different from all the rest of history. Yes, it is undoubtedly a tragedy, don't get me wrong. But there have been many tragedies in history, and I think that these should be recognised, not maligned as merely boring and unimportant, with the holocaust beind held at a different level.

Hear hear. Yes, it is a tragedy and yes, it IS a unique event. But we can't get caught up in it; the gulags, the (British) concentration camps in the Boer war, the Khmer Rouge, the other victims of the Nazi regime.... It's unacceptable to me to treat one set of victims differently to another.

BUT, having said that, the Holocaust is shocking because of its scale, immediacy and inhumanity. It should be taught, but it shouldn't be put up on a pedastal as being "worse than" any other atrocity. Yes, aspects of it were unique and it is pretty shocking; it should be studied, but nevertheless we shouldn't overemphasise it. Victims of the regime who died in different ways, or of other equally murderous but less shockingly organised scientific evil cannot have their experiences or worth denigrated.

Latest

Trending

Trending