The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You have to use subjunctive with certain verbs (which express uncertain ideas).

example:

Je ne crois pas qu'il soit arrivé. ( I don't think that he has arrived )

Je veux que tu m'embrasses. (I want you to kiss me)

Il faut que tu manges plus lentement. (You have to eat more slowly)

This is a satisfactory introduction to subjunctive, I expect... If you've got any further questions, please do not hesitate to PM me !!!
In a nutshell, it is necessary to use subjunctive when:
– You give an order.
– You express something which is unlikely, or likely to happen, but which has not happened yet.
– The verb you're using demands it.
Reply 4
West Lake
In a nutshell, it is necessary to use subjunctive when:
– You give an order.
– You express something which is unlikely, or likely to happen, but which has not happened yet.
– The verb you're using demands it.

No, giving an order is in the imperative, not the subjunctive.

The subjunctive is used to express ideas which are unlikely, have not happened or there is doubt behind them.

For instance, "if I were gay, I would have sex with men."

The verbs there are in the subjunctive because it is an imaginary situation. Nearly every verb that demands the subjunctive will be linked to giving an opinion or basing something on your own interpretation: to think, to feel, to find, to want, etc.
Hylean
No, giving an order is in the imperative, not the subjunctive.

I'm afraid you're wrong.

In French, you can give orders by using BOTH the imperative or the subjunctive.

J'ordonne que tu le fasses.
Je veux que tu te traînes par terre et que tu me lèches les pieds.
Il aurait fallu que tu le comprisses plus tôt.
Je souhaiterais que tu susses le résultat du match de football avant tout le monde.

or

Fais-le !
Mange cette purée et prends une douche !
Arrache toi les cheveux et fais t'en une couverture !
Ramasse ce sac plastique !
Aide-moi à brosser le chat !
Hylean

For instance, "if I were gay, I would have sex with men."

You would not have to use the subjunctive to translate this sentence to French. You would have to use "conditionnel " !

Si j'étais riche, j'achèterais un château.
When you use the subjunctive, only the first verb actually takes the subjunctive form right? Or do all the following verbs in the sentence take it?
Plus, be careful:

Do not ever use the subjunctive after "après que".

Je suis allé à l'église après qu'il a fait les courses.

Whereas you must use the subjunctive after "avant que":

Je suis allé à l'église avant qu'il fasse les courses.
Reply 9
West Lake
You would not have to use the subjunctive to translate this sentence to French. You would have to use "conditionnel " !

Si j'étais riche, j'achèterais un château.

I know but people generally find it easier if receiving examples in their own language base first.
Shrayans
When you use the subjunctive, only the first verb actually takes the subjunctive form right? Or do all the following verbs in the sentence take it?

Could you think of any sentence ?

Would the following sentence be a good answer to you question ?

" I want you to eat, drink and move slowly "
=
"Je veux que tu manges, boives, et te déplaces lentement ".
Reply 11
West Lake
Je suis allé à l'église après qu'il a fait les courses.

I can't help with grammar as I totally forgot it, lol, but your sentence is wrong. We say "Je suis allé à l'église après qu'il ait fait les courses."
Something like that, so they all have to be in the subjunctive? Or just the first verb?
Anatheme
I can't help with grammar as I totally forgot it, lol, but your sentence is wrong. We say "Je suis allé à l'église après qu'il ait fait les courses."

Most french people tend to make that mistake. I'm afraid that YOUR sentence is wrong.

Ask you French teacher or have a look at grammar book.
Reply 14
West Lake
Most french people tend to make that mistake. I'm afraid that YOUR sentence is wrond.

Ask you French teacher or have a look at grammar book.

Actually, linguists would argue if it is used, then it isn't wrong, mate.
Reply 15
Thanks so much guys, but I'm still confused as to how to actually form it, for instance in my writing exam how would I know to use it?
Reply 16
You also have to use the subjunctive if you have a sentence that contains a change of subject.

For example:

I believe that I am tired - Je crois que je suis fatigué - Here there is no change of subject, so no subjunctive is needed.

I believe that she is tired - Je crois qu'elle soit fatiguée - There is a change of subject here, from I to she, so the subjunctive is needed. Hence, "soit" is used, rather than "est"
rotor
Thanks so much guys, but I'm still confused as to how to actually form it, for instance in my writing exam how would I know to use it?

The best way to learn to use it properly is to read books and articles or listen to podcasts in French. You'll hear people using subjunctives and you'll use it intuitevely.

Do not hesitate to PM me if you need any help with French.
@ West Lake - so do we use the subjunctive throughout the sentence or only for the first verb?
Reply 19
Hylean
Actually, linguists would argue if it is used, then it isn't wrong, mate.

As Hylean said, there is still a debate about it. Actually, it seems that you could use both, but most of French (at least I do, my family, mates and very old teachers also do XD) use the subjunctive after "après que". So you should use indicative after it, but people tend to use subjunctive.

According to Le Grévisse :
Grammaire : «Après que» et «avant que»

La locution conjonctive après que régit logiquement l'indicatif (ou le conditionnel s'il s'agit d'un fait éventuel). Après que vous aurez parlé, il parlera.. On constate par ailleurs une forte tendance à construire après que avec le subjonctif. Cette construction heurte les principes: la subordonnée introduite par la locution exprime un fait passé, relativement au verbe principal. Ce fait est enregistré sur le plan de la réalité, dans une époque déjà écoulée ou dans une époque à venir; l'indicatif est donc logique.

De son côté, la locution avant que, qui amène un fait non encore accompli, donc encore simplement envisagé dans la pensée, gouverne le subjonctif. J'irai le voir avant qu'il parte.

(Maurice Grevisse, Le Bon Usage, Paris, Éditions Duculot, 1980, p. 1337-1338.)

Latest

Trending

Trending