The Student Room Group

A2s a lot harder...

Has anyone else found A2s a whole lot harder?

im doing home economics, sociology and biology.

Home economics - well the courseworks pretty much the same, and its quite easy its just a lot to do! the case study should be alright, as youl research it all before. though i think i may struggle with the exam as its on the food side which i havent started to learn until this year, though with some revision i think il be ok...maybe!

Sociology - well im going crime and deviance and religion. the coursework was alright, though i have no idea how well ive done as we havent got our results. crime and deviance i find really interesting, though some of the religion is dull. however, the exam is a lot different and im finding a big difference from As to A2 exam, and am geting Bs though am aiming for A.

Biology - im really struggling in this, thoguh i found this last year. however, this time last year i found that i was geting better by know but this year i found i really dont understand it and am serisouly struggling.

Just wondering what others think of these subjects, and the other subjects they're doing.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think it has become more demanding (I do Politics, English Literature and French) however it's manageable. I think the key is just to keep plugging away because nothing is ridiculously difficult so long as you keep on top of it.
Reply 2
I'm doing English lang & lit, politics and psychology A2s. Last year I did Law AS but dropped it this year.

I don't think they're more difficult, per se. I just think the workload is bigger, with more coursework etc.
Reply 3
I'm doing A2 Sociology too!

I don't find it the exams THAT much harder. It just seems like there's a lot more analysis and evaluation to be done. We looked at Religion and World Sociology in one term. However, this term we're only going to look at Crime and Deviance. Looking interesting so far.

English Language has kind of gotten more difficult. I think it's just because the units involve a lot more in-depth knowledge and analysis, especially the coursework.

Law A2 seems to be less heavy going compared with the AS. There's more cases to learn, but the sections for A2 are so small, we're getting through each one within two weeks.
I do. However I much prefer A2s, there seems to be a greater amount of freedom in the ideas that you can explore i.e more self directed study. I almost felt with AS I was hoop jumping. But A2 is much more interesting, even in chemistry which is my least favourite subject.
Reply 5
I think in sociology its more when i was looking at the grades, scoring well on the first few low marking questions (A-D), made it so much easier to get higher marks - i managed to beat my target of a B and got an A.
However, this year you dont have that - if you get what i mean! lol
I'm finding the jump between AS and A2 much larger than the one from GCSE to AS.

I'm loving the new Biology topics and Maths never requires much work but ICT is taking up around 2 hours per day to complete the coursework and I'm fully expecting to get an E in the Chemistry module I sat in January.

I don't know, maybe I should have dropped a subject, but at the time I was aiming for AAAA, now I'm just aiming to pass. :frown:
Reply 7
I'm not finding it much harder at all - in History and Lit, I'm getting higher grades much sooner than at AS, and I've torn through both my courseworks way ahead of schedule, probably because of the extra reading I'm doing now I get EMA and can afford books. Maths and Further Maths are about the same as AS, and Critical Thinking...doesn't count :p:
Reply 8
Original post by &#946
I'm finding the jump between AS and A2 much larger than the one from GCSE to AS.

I'm loving the new Biology topics and Maths never requires much work but ICT is taking up around 2 hours per day to complete the coursework and I'm fully expecting to get an E in the Chemistry module I sat in January.

I don't know, maybe I should have dropped a subject, but at the time I was aiming for AAAA, now I'm just aiming to pass. :frown:

Nice subject choices! Nah, GCSE to AS level is way bigger than AS to A2 level.
Reply 9
Miss_Scarlett
I do. However I much prefer A2s, there seems to be a greater amount of freedom in the ideas that you can explore i.e more self directed study. I almost felt with AS I was hoop jumping. But A2 is much more interesting, even in chemistry which is my least favourite subject.

Hehe, I take it Benzene is rapidly becoming the most hated substance on Earth?
I just feel there's more content to learn, not harder :s-smilie:. Doesn't mean i'm doing well, but it's just how i feel
I think that the whole 'A' level has been ridiculously easy so far.
Reply 12
*1genius what did you get in your GCSE's and A-levels if you don't mind me asking??
I found alevels quite tough, depends on how soft the subject is really.
Wangers
Hehe, I take it Benzene is rapidly becoming the most hated substance on Earth?

:biggrin:. I dont hate chemistry sometimes I quite enjoy it, but I dont like it as much as Biology or English literature. I will be glad to have finished it this year I must say. However if my suspicions regarding january modules are confirmed in March, I will be doing 5 exams in chem alone...:rolleyes:
Joe555
Nice subject choices! Nah, GCSE to AS level is way bigger than AS to A2 level.

I suppose it depends on the subject. In Biology I did awful at the start of AS whereas in Chemistry I didn't struggle at all.

Now at A2, Biology is still going well, not much of a jump, whereas Chemistry is a huge jump and I'm failing miserably.

Maths is just the same all the way through. Easy. :p:
i hate chemistry and yes I loathe benzene! I wish it would crawl into a corner and DIE.
A2 is soooo much harder than AS, I am SO scared of june. I totally agree that the gap from AS to A2 is waay bigger than the gap between GCSE and AS.

Magic_x don't worry! We will get through this!! Just think of the blissful holiday in July..... :smile::smile:
Reply 16
I think the workload is larger; but then again I didn't work as hard as I should've last year. :smile:
Reply 17
i'm doing A2 biology, sociology and maths.
and tbh. im finding that now i've settled into everything, the way the exams are and how the subjects are taught. im finding it easier this year than last year.
yes the sociology A2 exams look much more scary than AS but you do get longer for them and when you really think about it theyre not that much harder. imo anyway
Reply 18
I agree A2's are harder than AS's but they're also more enjoyable than last year. I found AS so dry but A2's are stretching me, which I like. :smile:
Reply 19
Good for you Kater murr! I am taking biology, chemistry and maths.

Chemistry is really bugging me, my teacher was trying to explain reaction rates to us, completely confused me, and I do maths!! And benzene ugh.....

As well i don't like the vectors chapter in maths, biology is ok, but I am struggling with the genetics bit.

Have any of you found that teachers are just not teaching properly or is it just me?? By not teachng properly, I mean them being too relaxed, not bothering to explain a question or just simply confusing you.

TBh it makes it much harder for to understand it so I end up spending hours going over the basics when my teachers should have done it for me, honestly why bother having teacher???? *rant over*

Latest