The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Greatleysteg
''pompous git'' for saying your crummy icelandic languages aren't mainstream? :mad: grow up.

Where did I call you a "pompous git"? And you tell me to grow up.

I was just pointing out that many European languages are "case" languages. I then went on to use UCL as an example that the ones, or at least some, you referred to as "not mainstream" were still taught at university and studied.

Don't be a baby just because you were proved wrong. It's only the internet.

P.S. Icelandic is only one language, not multiple ones.
I Wanna Be Adored

Zoedotdot- Are you after a bit or something? :P

The only thing about Russian which is off putting for me is, having seen some Japanese back in the days of year 8, I really couldn't stand the new set of characters. I am a man of action, I like to jump in head first. Having to learn an entire alphabet, or in the case of Japanese about 378 alphabets would have really frustrated me. However, thank you greatly for the advice about codes, UCAS should really sort themselves out... And to think of all the money they get from their charges!

At this moment in time, the only two places I am considering are Leeds and elsewhere. I think in a way, living in Leeds is a blessing. With the largest train station outside of London, I could actually stay at home for a considerable amount of universities.

Still, whatever is the best University available to me, with the greatest feel about it and nicest staff along with the best looking women, I meant to say course there... Will be the one I attend. So it should be easy enough to narrow things down.

:smile:

I just get excited when I talk about languages :p:
I've found the alphabet surprisingly easy to learn, but I've always enjoyed codes and maths, and I find learning new alphabets pretty similar to that.

Leeds has excellent language facilities - my Spanish teacher went there and still raves about it! I really really don't want to live at home as I already feel suffocated, so I didn't apply to any London universities. Still, it's up to you, I know a lot of people who are planning on living at home, and I can see how it's more financially viable (just not for me).

I firstly went with the course and modules offered, the difficulty with languages is that the courses vary an incredible amount between universities, so you need to pick and choose carefully. I only ever had one university I really wanted to go to though, I think you just get a feeling about one particular place :smile:
Zoedotdot
I just get excited when I talk about languages :p:
I've found the alphabet surprisingly easy to learn, but I've always enjoyed codes and maths, and I find learning new alphabets pretty similar to that.

Leeds has excellent language facilities - my Spanish teacher went there and still raves about it! I really really don't want to live at home as I already feel suffocated, so I didn't apply to any London universities. Still, it's up to you, I know a lot of people who are planning on living at home, and I can see how it's more financially viable (just not for me).

I firstly went with the course and modules offered, the difficulty with languages is that the courses vary an incredible amount between universities, so you need to pick and choose carefully. I only ever had one university I really wanted to go to though, I think you just get a feeling about one particular place :smile:

Freak! :wink:

Hmmm... I don't know, it looks pretty tricky! How hard is Spanish, I know we are going back a long time here, but still- How did you find it as a small child?

Leeds has everything to be honest, if there was another massive empire, Leeds would so be the capital of it. We also have the worlds largest Chav population. Fact. End of. Financially, it doesn't really matter. I'll earn it back eventually. I mean, I shall be sensible at Uni anyway... Hopefully.

I want to leave home, but I'm the man of the house and I kind of have responsibilities. My Mum wouldn't mind me leaving, but perhaps I would feel a little guilty. I don't know why... Being at home for Uni would be proper **** though, pardon my French but it really would... My Summer task is going to have to be narrowing down these Universities and exploring the modules.

I get what you mean though, like I do love Leeds as a city, but not where I live if you get me. I live out of the way anyway... I don't want to go off on a tangent but yeah, I can't see me going to a London Uni, money and my lower class background and crappy education won't help me...

I shall find somewhere beautiful to study, where the grass is greener... What a queer little statement.
I Wanna Be Adored
Freak! :wink:

Hmmm... I don't know, it looks pretty tricky! How hard is Spanish, I know we are going back a long time here, but still- How did you find it as a small child?

Leeds has everything to be honest, if there was another massive empire, Leeds would so be the capital of it. We also have the worlds largest Chav population. Fact. End of. Financially, it doesn't really matter. I'll earn it back eventually. I mean, I shall be sensible at Uni anyway... Hopefully.

I want to leave home, but I'm the man of the house and I kind of have responsibilities. My Mum wouldn't mind me leaving, but perhaps I would feel a little guilty. I don't know why... Being at home for Uni would be proper **** though, pardon my French but it really would... My Summer task is going to have to be narrowing down these Universities and exploring the modules.

I get what you mean though, like I do love Leeds as a city, but not where I live if you get me. I live out of the way anyway... I don't want to go off on a tangent but yeah, I can't see me going to a London Uni, money and my lower class background and crappy education won't help me...

I shall find somewhere beautiful to study, where the grass is greener... What a queer little statement.

As a small child of 11, as I was when I started learning it, I found it easy. I always have done - I don't know if that's because it's an easy language or because I'm good at it... (fluffs ego :p:) I think the basics of Spanish are easy - it's a fairly regular, neat language - but when you get to A level standard it starts to get trickier. Lots of fiddly bits of grammar, and the subjunctive is apparently even more horrific in Spanish than it is in French because it's used far more often. It has a lot of similarities to English though, so there's the advantage of being able to make up words if you're not sure on vocabulary!

Until the beginning of this year I was unsure about leaving home - now I can't wait to go. Maybe you'll change your mind :smile: I absolutely adore London beyond measure, but I know that it would be a disaster for me to stay here, in terms of expense and proximity to home (I love my home as well, before you start getting the wrong ideas hehe).
Hey, I was rather short at age 11. I still am... I think generally, Languages get a lot harder at A Level. Basically because, we are trained at GSCE, not taught. This is what our Head of Languages said. But hey, blame the Government, they get blamed for everything else... In German, you can also "blag" once you have been exposed for long enough, I guess.

Oh, I will leave, I just haven't accepted it yet. It is a big step, and like deciding on Uni, it is scary, because until now, it have been an easy ride, its been a case of school will sort it out...

London would be amazing to study in, but I know it isn't exactly wise to do so. I'm predicted ABBB, plus General Studies. So I should be O.K in terms of getting in to a half decent Uni.

Oh, I bet open days are a right pain in the backside are they not? Especially when they are at other end of the country!

Latest

Trending

Trending