The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
For club or music nights yep, try Liquid Rooms, Cabaret Voltaire etc. The Union used to run an indie night - I don't know if they still do, they tend to cater more to the cheese factor these days :wink:

Nme's student city guide for Edinburgh is pretty indie driven if you want to check out their website. Same goes for the List - http://www.list.co.uk.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hey, I attended Ed uni in first year and I hate to say it but the lask of an indie scene was one of the things I hated most about this university. If you like playing hockey/rugby, discussing your parents BMWs and getting drunk on 50p shots then it's your kinda place, unfortunately for those of us who actually have an interest in anything creative/alternative it can be a bit soul destroying.

Cab Vol, Citrus, Subway and the Art School Union are good places to check out but finding others who are interested in going to them and seeing gigs etc can be very tricky. The university offers an "indie society" but in my experience it was neither fun, nor had many interesting members, but maybe its changed since my time.

My advice is to seek the scene outside of the university and its activities. Join an evening course at the art school, write for a local music magazine or get a job in one of the good gig venues. Just don't expect 99% of folk fromt he uni to know what you're on about if you mention your latest favourite band.

Which type of accomodation are you in, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
thanks for the info...am not actually there yet, have a place for next year but i'm trying decide where to go between edinburgh and london...and well everything else seems better in edinburgh apart from the blatant lack of an alternative music scene...oh dear.
The Hive have just started doing an indie night on saturdays, and they do misfits which is pretty similar on a friday. This is probably you're best bet for indie/rock related stuff, its a fairly big club with 2 rooms and 3 bars (i think)... i really like it there although its annoying in the queue as there are normally drunk 16/17 year olds moaning that they probably won't be let in... then they cause a scene when they aren't allowed in!

Subway doesn't exist anymore, it was the smaller but better version of the hive, then the owners went hardcore and moved to the hive. I met my boyfriend in there 18 months ago, and life is still good. Opium is a pretty good pub with cheap drinks if you get the discount card- £1 pints, and thats on cowgate. Then Liquid Rooms caters for the more mainstream indie night, but is still good banter and very cheap!
myuniverserevolved
Hey, I attended Ed uni in first year and I hate to say it but the lask of an indie scene was one of the things I hated most about this university. If you like playing hockey/rugby, discussing your parents BMWs and getting drunk on 50p shots then it's your kinda place, unfortunately for those of us who actually have an interest in anything creative/alternative it can be a bit soul destroying.

Cab Vol, Citrus, Subway and the Art School Union are good places to check out but finding others who are interested in going to them and seeing gigs etc can be very tricky. The university offers an "indie society" but in my experience it was neither fun, nor had many interesting members, but maybe its changed since my time.

My advice is to seek the scene outside of the university and its activities. Join an evening course at the art school, write for a local music magazine or get a job in one of the good gig venues. Just don't expect 99% of folk fromt he uni to know what you're on about if you mention your latest favourite band.

Which type of accomodation are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

Is it really that bad and rah-ish? :frown: that totally puts me off
Reply 6
It put me off too?

When you say you attended it in your first year, does that mean you have been transferred?
Reply 7
hmm yes i'm concerned about the rah-ness also. anyone here starting at edin in sept?
Reply 8
Im considering it!
The indie scene is **** because... well indie's **** and everyone knows it by the time they get to uni. The rock/metal scene is also very disappointing, I've kind of switched to acoustic music because I can stand it and the places it's on are generally quite cheap. In my favourite bar (which I won't reveal because it's currently a student-free haven), they have a guy on on a Sunday who plays pure classic rock, that's good. I haven't been since Fresher's Week but I think Going Underground in the Union on a Friday's a bit of an indie night, not particularly popular though.

I wouldn't worry about the rah situation, some of them are actually quite nice people and the others aren't worth knowing, you can just hate them like the rest of us northerners, there are plenty around.
"The indie scene is **** because... well indie's **** and everyone knows it by the time they get to uni. "

I don't feel I need to say anything about how useless a response that was. Since the people in this thread obviously don't know/think indie is **** otherwise they wouldn't be asking what the indie scene was like in Edinburgh. Everyone has different tastes, and it's a fair question, and one which I wish I'd had answered before I moved to Edinburgh.

No, I am no longer at Edinburgh, I moved back to work in Dundee, which, even though it is smaller I feel has a much nicer more local vibe and more people/things that suit my interests and personality.

Before going somewhere you really need to consider what is important to you. A good music scene in the area is just as valid a reason for choosing as good accommodation or good shopping, it all depends on what you personally want out of your time at uni.
You also want to be around other people who value the same things. For me at Edinburgh I found a lot of people surrounding me to be more concerned with clothes, money and bitching about one another. This is not me being discriminatory against "rahs" this is me just saying that I don't share the same interests as the majority of the folk I met and I'd rather be with people more similar to myself.

If you like a good local indie/arts scene then you may really like edinburgh, but FINDING PEOPLE who are interested in these things and will go to gigs/clubs with you will possibly prove more difficult than in other cities where this kind of scene is more prominant.
I dont really know much about the indie scene but whats the rock n roll scene like in Edinburgh??
Are there any pure kickass rock n roll bands or in the vein of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin,The Stooges,The Who,T.Rex....etc?? or any rock n roll clubs??

btw, i am an international student who got a conditional offer for Economics...and this is my first post..so hi everyone!!
Before going somewhere you really need to consider what is important to you. A good music scene in the area is just as valid a reason for choosing as good accommodation or good shopping, it all depends on what you personally want out of your time at uni.
You also want to be around other people who value the same things. For me at Edinburgh I found a lot of people surrounding me to be more concerned with clothes, money and bitching about one another. This is not me being discriminatory against "rahs" this is me just saying that I don't share the same interests as the majority of the folk I met and I'd rather be with people more similar to myself.

I'm starting to get really worried now. From what I've gathered until now, edinburgh University is not a very friendly place :eek: . Obviously this is stereotyping, but it's hard to ignore the amount of times I heard about the bad atmosphere there.
^Like has been said quite a few times on this forum, I believe, Edinburgh is a really big uni with around 25,000 students. It means you're bound to have many unfriendly people among them, but also a huge amount of great, frienly people. You just have to go through the effort of finding people who have the same kind of interests as you, and who you feel comfortable with. Not everyone is lucky enough to end up living with people they get on really well with. There are over 200 societies/sports clubs, and they are a good place to start. By joining a club of your interest you're likely to find like-minded people (I know people say this all the time, but it's true.). That's how it worked out for me. The people I spend the most time here with are the people in the sports club I joined. I really hope prospective students won't be put of by Edinburgh just because a lot of people have had bad experiences when it comes to other students. Edinburgh really is a great place to study.
Reply 14
greyspring

I'm starting to get really worried now. From what I've gathered until now, edinburgh University is not a very friendly place :eek: . Obviously this is stereotyping, but it's hard to ignore the amount of times I heard about the bad atmosphere there.

There's no bad atmosphere! Don't be put off by people moaning about yahs .. it's like, a bit of an in joke with people at edinburgh. Really not as bad as it sounds! :tongue:
Lots of places have a reputation for having rahs. Yes Edinburgh is one, but so will UCL or Imperial, Durham, Oxbridge, Bristol and the like... There is a music scene for everyone. Edinburgh is not the biggest place to go for music - if that is your thing clearly you should look at busier cities like London or Manchester, but if it's only a side issue there's probably enough around. There are friendly people and the unfriendly - the same as everywhere. You just have to put a bit of time into finding friends at the beginning of your time there - but you'll have to do that anywhere you go.
Vic Rattlehead
I dont really know much about the indie scene but whats the rock n roll scene like in Edinburgh??
Are there any pure kickass rock n roll bands or in the vein of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin,The Stooges,The Who,T.Rex....etc?? or any rock n roll clubs??

Not a lot really, I'm into the same stuff. There are 2 main rock clubs, Opium and The Hive (google them, they've probably got a page). Both are often full of students who think they're harder than they actually are. Out of the 2 I prefer Opium, but I tend to think about what acts are on rather than where I'm going. There's a guy called Martin Andrews who plays in my favourite bar twice a week, he plays all classic rock but it's not a particularly wide repertoire.
Reply 17
Which uni do you think has the best indie scene?
I got the impression that Edinburgh is full of rich kids who all wear uggs.

I'm so judgemental.
rache11a

I got the impression that Edinburgh is full of rich kids who all wear uggs

As bad as Uggs are, I'd prefer to be around people who wear the real deal than those 'strutting' in fakes. :p:
Well i wear Uggs (fake ones) now and again, and am not posh/rich, nor am I poor. However, I share a concern for the abundance of "rahs" or "yahs" or whatever they are called. Therefore, I may be judgemental, but am also a hypocrite. I'm trying not to base my decision on something that seems so petty, but I must admit it is having an affect. I'd like to know once and for all whether it is a bit of myth?

Latest

Trending

Trending