The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
and btw, if you think of dropping biology, make sure you do your research well enough to know that the unis you want to apply to do not require biology.
Reply 21
I'm doing chem, bio and history at A2 - I dropped maths... none of my unis seem to have minded, in fact some see taking an arts subject as a plus as it shows that you're a well rounded person..
Reply 22
Thank you that makes me feel more confident!
Reply 23
yonanz
my advice

drop physics

keep chem, bio and lit

Uh-oh. :evil:
The A levels are fine, I don't even know why you were worried buddy!
If they were all completely irrelevant or something I'd understand...
Reply 25
Lol thank you, I was pretty sure it was okay I just don't want to mess anything up you know.. :wink: :smile:
Reply 26
Well, I want to see how I do bit if I can't choose I will just do all 4 if my grades are good enough. :smile:
whatever you do don't continue all four at the expense of your A's. you're better off with AAA/AAB than ABBB/ABBC or something. but yeah, no need to decide now, just see how it goes in the summer.
Reply 28
yeh thats true :smile:
Reply 29
Well, I have also applied to do chem,physics and bio at A level. But I want my fourth option to be something non-sciencey and I'm just wondering what would be more useful or regarded as a better A level?

I know history and english lit are not required for medicine I just like both subjects and want to choose the better one.. I'm assuming it's english but history might be better for another reason..any ideas?
Reply 30
I think both are equally well regarded:smile: I take history alongside all three sciences and I really enjoy it, so choose history:P
Reply 31
Neither will be any better than the other. Choose the one you prefer/can do better in! :p:
I would agree that both are considered very good - they both need analytical skills and both are considered traditional subjects and so are regarded as acceptable subjects by all universities.

Do the one you enjoy and good luck with applying for medecine :biggrin:
Reply 33
I'd say history. Both are good though. Choose the one you prefer.
Both are well thought of, and are probably about equally difficult.

Whichever one you pick you will learn good writing skills so just go for the one you enjoy the most.
Reply 35
Do both & drop the Physics after AS. Being me is the way forward... :cool: :p:

Not sure that there is an objective 'better' one, if it were History v. English Lang then History apparently is seen as tougher. Lit v. History I don't think there's much in it in terms of perception.

So what people have said - the one you enjoy more/think you'll do best in, hopefully that's the same? Either is useful in terms of demonstrating your roundedness, essay technique & not being bored by science at school.

Personally I think History was probably my preferred - I found it a bit more of a challenge than English, more social sciencey but less time needed. Do not underestimate A2 English Lit synoptic papers & the wider reading aspect! But that said, I got to do something more related to Medicine in English Lit - coursework on the representation of the medical profession in our set texts.
Reply 36
Both would be fine - shows you're more rounded, and you could drop either this subject or Physics at AS, depending on which you like more or will perform better in. :smile:
Reply 37
Awww, thank you everyone!! Your all being really helpful. :smile:

I also think I will see how my GCSE's go.
I enjoy both subjects but I think that it would possibly be a better idea to take english literature rather than history. Only because I feel that a lot of facts I would spent learning in history, I would not be able to put to as much good use in my future career.
whichever your interest is greater in
some unis (like UCL) prefer you to have a contrasting subject
I really enjoyed having a different subject to my sciences, it was a refreshing break (did politics AS). Go for the one you enjoy more rather than what you feel will be more 'useful' as such because the skills from both will be useful in different ways. What will be most useful is the all roundedness you gain from doing an arts subject ao just go for it and enjoy!
Reply 39
Yeh I agree...
How was politics A level? :smile: I was actually thinking about politics at one point as my sixth form do offer it, is it a good course??
and did you take physics, bio and chem to A2?

Latest

Trending

Trending