The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Elles
Do not underestimate A2 English Lit synoptic papers & the wider reading aspect! But that said, I got to do something more related to Medicine in English Lit - coursework on the representation of the medical profession in our set texts.

That was by far the easiest module in EngLit! I would always take English over History because i find it so much more interesting. As someone else has already said, UCL gives a sligh preference to those who offer a 'contrasting' subject.
Reply 41
Yeh that is really hand, I was thinking of applying to UCL I live near the uni !
Reply 42
davidthegreat
That was by far the easiest module in EngLit!

Hah, my mark distribution definitely disagreed! :p:

Although I like to think it was a strategic decision :wink: not to waste time doing wider reading on the depressing topic of war (our coursework texts were also war if anyone is curious about the 'representation of the medical profession' thing = Captain Corelli's & Catch-22), when it wouldn't have altered the overall grade & it didn't... so wasn't bothered enough to ask for a remark unlike some in my year.
Dont drop physics! Its stupidly easy at A2 compared to AS (or at least thats what I thought). Basically youre going to get offers based on 3A levels so doing a 4th is often advised against by unis (though this doesnt stop many people (including myself) from trying!). If you are up to the challenge though (and by the sounds of things it seems that you are) I would say either is as good as the other so pick the one you are most likely to do well in!
isn't it pretty stupid to do A2 physics without maths?
I found myself choosing between thre two subjects before i commenced my A-levels. I chose History, and its the now subject I enjoy most. So I would advise you to do history, however, i would find out what the course entails. I do Europeon History [20th century ...Germany 1918-39], your college ma offer somthing diffrent...best to find out first, before making a decision.
bright star
isn't it pretty stupid to do A2 physics without maths?

Not necessarily, its true maths and physics do complement each other, however, its not "stupid" to leave maths and do physics.

I know at my college, if maths is not taken with the physics, you have to take a course such as " maths for physics". There is also a similar course for chemistry, there tailored speacifically to the A-level. What's more, I believe you do get some some accredition for these courses.

However, if your college does not do this, it would maybe be easier to do both subjects alongside each other.
you mean, yes there is more work than if you'd done another subject for which you were fulling prepared. maybe it's just me that's lazy....
Reply 48
Well, some people have told me it is 'stupid' to take physics without maths. However, I know about 3 people who have done this and they get on fine. After all the maths isn't going to be that difficult [I don't think] it's just more of learning the formulas in physics and things like that.

I also think that if maths at As/A2 was that important for physics all colleges would put it as a requirement and none of them near me do. I spoke to the teachers about this at the sixth form open evenings and they said if I have GCSE maths at B or above and am willing to work really hard then an A in physics for A level isn't out of my reach at all.

I also hate maths and love physics and I have always done well in physics, even where maths is involved...
I know people will have different opinions about this but all I am saying is it has been done by many people before so it is possible and I would call it more of a 'challenge' than 'stupid'.
if you choose mechanics modules, you can get a maths a level for not much more effort though. if you're good at maths, it's a free ride.
Reply 50
I'm okay at maths, just prefer english.
Jinxy
Awww, thank you everyone!! Your all being really helpful. :smile:

I also think I will see how my GCSE's go.
I enjoy both subjects but I think that it would possibly be a better idea to take english literature rather than history. Only because I feel that a lot of facts I would spent learning in history, I would not be able to put to as much good use in my future career.

I did a bit of a weird combination of subjects for medicine, A2s in Chemistry, Maths, History, ICT and Critical Thinking, and ASs in Human Biology and General Studies. I think I would have gone crazy going all the sciences and nothing else! Only one girl in my school took the 3 sciences + Maths for A2 and she hated it, I think it's a good idea to have the contrasting English/History.

As for whether it should be English or History, I actually did better at English GCSE so theoretically I probably should have taken that. However I hated English with a passion so went for the History, and ended up loving it!
Reply 52
Oh yeh, i understand thanks for that :smile: and well done on getting into med school!!!
Jinxy
Yeh I agree...
How was politics A level? :smile: I was actually thinking about politics at one point as my sixth form do offer it, is it a good course??
and did you take physics, bio and chem to A2?

politics was really fun but in the end 4 was too many- its a really good course though I enjoyed it so so sooo much!
I do chem, bio and geog which has worked out really well
Reply 54
yeh and glad it worked out well for you! =]
Reply 55
Well, as the title says really.. :smile:

I've come to the point where I have to send off forms to sixth forms saying what 4 As subjects I want to do..
I wanted to do 5 As but they are not keen on the idea.

This now means I have to choose between 2 subjects I really wanted to do..

English literature or Psychology.

The other As I have decided on: Chemistry; Biology & Physics.

I do want to go into medicine and I have wanted to for ages. Thing is, I know some unis want academic/traditional subjects at A level and this means psychology does not fall into this category. I'm not sure which subject would be best anyone have any ideas? or advice.

Thank you. :biggrin: :p:
english lit
Reply 57
ok :biggrin:
Robinson - This is kinda off topic. Are you by any chance wanting to go into medicine via graduate entry?
Reply 58
Either of those would be fine, but if I were a university admissions tutor I'd be asking myself why you're not taking maths.

You can do medicine without it (most unis don't name it as a specific requirement) but the fact is that most medics around you will have taken maths and you don't want to struggle alongside them.
Reply 59
Yeah definitely english lit. It would work in your favour in a tie break situation where, say, the other person offered chem, bio, physics and psychology. The unis will also like to see the inclusion of a literary subject.