The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

matt54
WRONG!!

Edit: Source

Not even in the top ten. Your post is full of inaccuracies...

Not entirely true. Yes, numerically your argument holds but the strength of the applicant pool for Oxbridge makes it more difficult to gain a place.
JW
Not entirely true. Yes, numerically your argument holds but the strength of the applicant pool for Oxbridge makes it more difficult to gain a place.

I would say that the strength of the applicant pool for the LSE is as high or even greater than that of Oxbridge and the number of applicants per place makes it, as a whole, harder to get in to.
matt54
WRONG!!

yes its about time this fallacy was deal with! but i was lead to believe that oxbridge held the greatest young minds in the country...knowing a few people who got in last year. attending further edu access open days and finally talking to people on TST i realise thats definately not the case. but its clear that there is a higher proportion of brilliance at oxbridge than many other unis in the UK, i really wouldnt say that they have any monopoly on the great minds and really it would be horrible if that was the case wouldnt it?
that_diesel
Is that a special type of kudos reserved for prostitutes?

:biggrin:

Yes. Where else would you go to complete your whonoures degree? I mean, not meaning to blow my own strumpet, but I already have my place, and whilst other unis may be bordeling on excellence, we really have to slute Oxbridge above all.
matt54
I would say that the strength of the applicant pool for the LSE is as high or even greater than that of Oxbridge and the number of applicants per place makes it, as a whole, harder to get in to.

i agree very much with that. law at lse for a male=21:1, oxford 3.6:1, cambridge 4.1:1. definately LSE is harder to get. thats just law but it holds true across all subjects. it must be understood that PLENTY (the data suggests THE MAJORITY) of the higher achieving applicants DO NOT apply for oxbridge. its definately the case in my college though i think public schools have a very different demographic and thats where alot of TSR are coming from.
Reply 25
I applied because of all the writers and I loved the old buildings (and the reputation, academics etc.). I actually applied to Exeter which has lots of writer alumni. Ah well, at least Christ Church has the Harry Potter stairs and fish.
Sunshineandrain
dont

I'm sure your participation in a thread that asks why you want to go to Oxbridge, not the other way around will be appreciated :rolleyes:

I didn't want to go at first because neither did my course and I didnt think I was good enough. Then I see people with lower grades than me getting in so I regret not applying now...Damn my mind!
Why do YOU want to go to Oxbridge?

I don't.
E_D_B
Oh, and something I forgot to point out in your neg. It's somewhat embarassing that someone who searches everyone else's posts for misplaced commas calls something "attiring".

Hardly. Whilst it's a french word (read: attirer) I've come across it used as an English word before by respected academics.
Reply 29
solo2wolf
i agree very much with that. law at lse for a male=21:1, oxford 3.6:1, cambridge 4.1:1. definitely LSE is harder to get. thats just law but it holds true across all subjects. it must be understood that PLENTY (the data suggests THE MAJORITY) of the higher achieving applicants DO NOT apply for oxbridge. its definitely the case in my college though i think public schools have a very different demographic and thats where alot of TSR are coming from.

The number of applicants is not entirely representative of how difficult it is to get into a university. As JW says, the strength of Oxbridge applicants will no doubt be greater than that of LSE. From my experience (of course this is only mine), not one of the ''high achievers'' at my school applied for LSE, though all applied for Oxbridge. I also notice you have only cited the law figures. Perhaps law is more difficult to get into there, I do not know. On the whole though, you're in a minority in your belief that LSE is more difficult to get into than Oxbridge for ''all subjects''. It just isnt.
Numerically, Oxbridge is not harder to get into; that is my point. Less people apply because the 'less' able students feel they need not apply. I still think that the Oxbridge application process gives you more of a chance to shine than LSEs since you are interviewed if you are deemed a possible successful applicant.

wrockite
The number of applicants is not entirely representative of how difficult it is to get into a university. As JW says, the strength of Oxbridge applicants will no doubt be greater than that of LSE. From my experience (of course this is only mine), not one of the ''high achievers'' at my school applied for LSE, though all applied for Oxbridge. I also notice you have only cited the law figures. Perhaps law is more difficult to get into there, I do not know. On the whole though, you're in a minority in your belief that LSE is more difficult to get into than Oxbridge for ''all subjects''. It just isnt.

I disagree with the first point and agree with the second point. In my school if you look at the figures, it has been harder to get into LSE than Oxbridge.
wrockite

public school eh...i dont remember all the data just law,physics and engineering for a few unis as friends a lawyer,another physisist and myself engineer. the strength of the candidates for LSE WILL BE as good as those for oxbridge. i dont understand how so many people think differently. cant you just accept oxbridge is not where ALL the brightest go?maybe the brightest public school lot but i think in the state sector there is alot less support and encoueangement and though the kids in public are undoubtably better educated there are faaaaaaar more state schools and that more than makes up for the differences. have a look at the stats yourself if you dont agree.
oh and being in the minority in any opinion is no indication that im wrong is it lol. need i give examples?
matt54
WRONG!!

You seem to be ignoring the fact that most universities make four or five offers for every place, as inevitably only a minority of successful applicants will put them as their firm choice. Conversely, virtually no one declines a place at Oxford or Cambridge (I believe the figure is as low as one in twenty, actually). When you take this into account, the ratios on that link become largely meaningless.
Hashshashin
You seem to be ignoring the fact that most universities make four or five offers for every place, as inevitably only a minority of successful applicants will put them as their firm choice. Conversely, virtually no one declines a place at Oxford or Cambridge (I believe the figure is as low as one in twenty, actually). When you take this into account, the ratios on that link become largely meaningless.

Not really...A majority of applicants of LSE applicants put LSE as their firm (said at open day)...
Reply 35
solo2wolf
public school eh...i dont remember all the data just law,physics and engineering for a few unis as friends a lawyer,another physisist and myself engineer. the strength of the candidates for LSE WILL BE as good as those for oxbridge. i dont understand how so many people think differently. cant you just accept oxbridge is not where ALL the brightest go?maybe the brightest public school lot but i think in the state sector there is alot less support and encoueangement and though the kids in public are undoubtably better educated there are faaaaaaar more state schools and that more than makes up for the differences. have a look at the stats yourself if you dont agree.

Wtf, I've gone to state schools all my life?! I've never paid a penny to go to school. Tit. None of my family have ever been to uni either, so to suggest I'm from a public school is ridiculous.

I never said ALL the brightest minds go there, simply that the applicants will be stronger at Oxbridge. I was replying to the comment that the LSE applicant pool is 'stronger', which is just wrong.
matt54
Not really...A majority of applicants of LSE applicants put LSE as their firm (said at open day)...

Perhaps - but even so, a lot of LSE courses have entry requirements of ABB or BBB at A level. I find it difficult to see how you could claim they attract an application pool that is generally of a higher standard than Oxbridge.
Hashshashin

most universitiesmaybe, but were comparing oxbridge with LSE and the other top tier unis. here is an example: (these are the EXACT figures for 2006 at imperial for physics. total expected intake for physics department was 202. offers made 369. 4:1 my arse less than 2:1. i didnt pick that one especially, look at the data yourself if you want to try and prove our point. it is farse. the big gap so many seem to think exists is no more. also across the country less than 10% of students attend private school, this being the case i think my point about state schools is a fairly plausible explanation for the low number of applications. also the general stereotypical oxbridge applicant puts alot of state applicants off no doubt (not that i agree with it though tsr would not help the case lol).
Hashshashin
Perhaps - but even so, a lot of LSE courses have entry requirements of ABB or BBB at A level. I find it difficult to see how you could claim they attract an application pool that is generally of a higher standard than Oxbridge.

It is well known that courses with ABB or BBB entry requirements still have 90%+ applicants with AAA+ predictions or grades. You cannot balance your argument on this.
Hashshashin

well considering they have about 5 times as many applicants even with your logic (which i slightly agree with) if only half of the LSE applicants were as good as oxbridge it would still be a tougher crowd. more than twice as tough infact

Latest

Trending

Trending