The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Matthewsimpson
My mum brought this up today, because I've been moaning about how I don't think I will be bothered to do 4 AS levels plus keep up a job. I'm a clever student and am predicted mainly As for my GCSEs but I really don't know if I will have the drive to continue working flat out for a further two years like I have been for GCSEs.

After I do my A-levels I plan to go to drama school. Because they tend to like "life experience" I may not end up getting in until my mid-twenties so I'm just going to "live life" until then. Anyway, you didn't need to know that. What does everyone else think about doing 3 AS levels instead of 4? What disadvantages and advantages does it bring about? Honest opinions wanted :smile: Thanks!

Well to be honest I don't think it does matter. If it's what you want to do, then do it. And I'm sure drama school doesn't require you to take four ASs. Also, surely it's better if you get three A's or B's than four C's or whatever. If you get my drift? :smile:
Jhawkins
Well to be honest I don't think it does matter. If it's what you want to do, then do it. And I'm sure drama school doesn't require you to take four ASs. Also, surely it's better if you get three A's or B's than four C's or whatever. If you get my drift? :smile:

Well that's what I'm thinking but everyone seems to be saying that if you don't do 4 AS levels you won't get into uni...
Reply 22
Matthewsimpson
Well that's what I'm thinking but everyone seems to be saying that if you don't do 4 AS levels you won't get into uni...

It's bull****! Well, in my opinion. People at my school who only do three subjects have got offers from universities. As long as you do well in them, that's all that matters. Aye? :p:
its not that you wont get in. it's that you significantly reduce your chances of enjoying college. If you get to after christmas and decide you HATE one of your 3, then it's too late to switch and if you drop it then you're only doing 2. Doing 4 gives you alot more flexibility and options
Reply 24
well from my experience

you sound a bit like i did was sort of convinced by teachers tho that uni's would only want me with 4 as's and 3 a-levels

so i took 4
3 subjects which i wanted to do
and 1 which i took as an extra

and i hate it i wish i had more frees so i could work on smashing my 3 a-levels i actually enjoy rather than just having a few extra points you know

and EVERY uni i've looked at want 3 a-levels not an AS and they're good unis too.. manchester, newcastle, oxford BROOKES etc

and to be honest i will probably fail my 4th subject but i cant drop it because its drama and doing performnaces etc & iw ouldnt let my group down

:]

but obvs your decisions :]
good luck with it all though
x
Reply 25
Jhawkins
It's bull****! Well, in my opinion. People at my school who only do three subjects have got offers from universities. As long as you do well in them, that's all that matters. Aye? :p:

I do 3 that count, Biology, Maths and Statistics, as well as general studies, which is excluded from most. I dropped chemistry after module 1, and I got offers from all of my choices.
Reply 26
Exactly!
Reply 27
I would recommend taking 4. Its more of an insurance thing really. If you take 4 and find you hate one of them then you can drop it. If you take 3 then you are stuck with an Alevel which you may hate and would have to continue with it for 2 years. I think its just a case of trying and seeing. You options sound really good and a nice combination. If you find the work is too much then it wouldnt be very difficult to drop it - but far harder to join a course late.

As drama school goes some do have entry requirements. I know that Guidhall require 2 Alevels at Grade A - E. Although the main focus is on your audition its important to know that they look at academic things too (especially your involvement with school theatre productions etc) Rada say 'You will need to demonstrate an intellectual, creative and practical ability to undertake degree level training'

For the 'life experience' theres pleanty you can do at school and things in the holidays. Have a look at the drama school websites as alot of them do short courses and summer schools. They can be quite costly, but well worth the experience. Rada do 1 day courses on a saturday for £40 (£20 concessions) which are really interesting and give a good taste of the drama school experience.

Good Luck with everything and if you have any questions about drama school give me a shout.
Some people find it easier to have a completly different format.
Have you considered:

-Taking 3 AS in Y12 and picking up an additional AS in Y13?
-Taking 2 A levels in one year then another 2 A levels the next?
Reply 29
Slick 'n' Shady
Have you considered:

I think most sixth forms encourage 4 AS in first year and drop one in the second year.

tbh, I didn't really have a choice to do 2 full A Levels each year, the sixth form just asked for my four choices lol.
Slick 'n' Shady
Have you considered:

The second mix sounds quite appealing but I've never heard of anyone doing it...nor have I been offered it. :s-smilie:
Reply 31
Yes! I took 4 AS subjects last year and I really struggled. As a result, I didnt do as well as I wanted to; I got 2 C's, a D and a U! I wanted all B's. This year I'm under loads of pressure because I have to make up for how badly I did last year. People I knew who only did 3 subjects did a lot better than me. Most people who do 4 drop a subject in the second year anyway. You cuold always pick up an AS in your second year.

God Luck! :smile:
Reply 32
i did 4 last year, and insisted to carry on with the 4 to A2. very stressed i have to admit. but it looks a lot better in your profile
Reply 33
I took 3 as-levels last year. Unfortunately for me when choosing them, some weird voice in my head told me it would be a great idea to take maths. Well it turned out that it wasn't such a great idea and i ended up with an E. So this year idropped maths and took up a new as-level which im pretty sure i'll do good in and received offers from all my uni choices. I suppose its kind of a risk only taking 3 as-levels, you just have to be sure that you would carry them all on to a-level.
Matthewsimpson
Hmm, the job I'm looking to get would be around 4 hours on a thursday night and 6 hours on saturday and again on sunday...Does this still sound manageable with 4 AS?

I did 4 AS's biology, chemistry, geography, and sociology and worked
Friday 3 hours but then went to my mums nearby so + another 3 hours not doing anything productive
Saturday 7 hours
Occasional Tuesday/Sunday 3-4 hours
I'm a student ambassador and vice president of the NUS which takes up a fair few hours each month depending what the time of year is.
I also did one week of lambing in the easter holidays and still felt I had enough time to revise although there was plenty of pressure

It depends, all my work is voluntary so when it comes to exam season I book time off, which if you are in paid employment would be more difficult to do.

I'm busy but I know I could work harder if I wanted to, I think you should test the water and try 4 to start off with, you never know you might end up changing your mind about a subject and want to drop it or you may find all 4 engaging and be fine with the workload. Colleges are very accommodating and will do their best to guide you towards the best solution for your situation.
Reply 35
i think it's easier to drop a subject than take a subject later on. do keep your options open!
Reply 36
mate! i was in ur position exactly wen i started as in tht i wanted 2go 2 drama sch and i only wanted to do 3 cos thy were the only subjects i was intrested in, but i took english lang as well just to do 4. but i hated it and dropped it after about 3 wks. you can do the same, no trouble.
as for your job, thts a lot of hrs! 16hrs a wk? i'd say ud be able to do work and as work but you wont have much free time. but if thats wht you want, go for it.
anyways, take 4, give it a go, see what happens, you might perfer all the as levels to ur job!
Reply 37
also, if you do still want to go to drama school, they wont care about ur grades, but, as im sure uve heard a million times before, (i have!) you might change ur mind. I did, im now doing art at uni even tho 2 years ago drama sch was all i wanted!
Matthewsimpson
The second mix sounds quite appealing but I've never heard of anyone doing it...nor have I been offered it. :s-smilie:

Some of the most sucessfull independent schools in the country implement this **cough** Westminster **cough**

Latest