The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
good luck with the results, alice
yonanz
Nonsense. THOUSANDS of people from singapore has had no problems studying in the UK, accent-wise, including communicating with lecturers, students and the like. I have friends from britian in my block who have no problems understanding me, or singaporeans for that matter. Why would anyone want to/have to "study the English accent and perfect it"? the most important thing is to speak in a clear concise manner, and this can achieved wihout speaking in an "English" accent.

I never said that people from abroad/asia will automatically have trouble. What I said was that those with very strong, indecipherable accents will find securing a job in the UK quite hard. They are not necessarily the same thing yonanz.

To those who have only learned basic English, or even advanced English that is hard to understand when spoken to an English native, they will be disadvantaged when it comes to securing full time employment- if the field is competitive, and the only real difference between two final candidates is that one is easier to understand/communicate with, it is logical who will most likely be hired. Its best not to give reasons to potential employers as to why others will be better suited.
alice65

Stealth-Mode: Is your friend in the service sector or the legal service? Because if he doesn't have to deal with customers directly, I don't see why his accent will affect his work preformance. For example, in engineering and math people deal mostly with numbers and formulae. And from what I know, the Mathematics faculties in the UK are very popular with mainland Chinese students :smile:

He was looking to work within Finance, which is part of the service sector. I'm not sure which particular niche within this field, but the principle would still apply regardless when the role is highly competitive with applicants.

Having a slight accent will not greatly affect job prospects, but being hard to understand will.
Reply 23
yonanz
its good becuz sgrean look out for fellow sgreans :smile:

I can only hope that those words will hold to be true.
Reply 24
i think instead of having a problem with accents, my problem is that i can't express myself precisely when it comes to public speaking/debates/etc. I can have very good points planned out in my head but it just seems that i can never present them the way i want to. i find this quite a big problem especially for a prospective law student....does anyone have the same issue as me?? any advice?

Latest

Trending

Trending