The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And how does it go about showing that?

(Rank on other such tables) X (Number of balloons) + (Subjective ranking of alumni) X (radius of a small orange) / (Number of cats within a 3 miles)

Completely useless.
Reply 2
^^

Das stimmt.

(I agree)
Reply 3
Did you just decide to ignore GKT, Bristol, Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and Southampton that are on that list as well?

All these ranking list are completely pointless ... anyone who takes them seriously needs to get their heads checked IMHO.
Reply 4
Yuummmm. Orangey.
Reply 5
There's been a scary increase in the number of medic wannabes looking at rankings/the "most prestigious" universities recently... :s-smilie:
Many seem to be internationals so perhaps there is just less emphasis placed on it in this culture than most other places. Very few people here give a flying **** about where their university sits in a league table but equally everyone here is probably aware that the quality of any degree endorsed by the GMC is going to be very high thus future employment prospects will be equal(ly bad, thank you mmc). The same may not be true in other countries. <supposition warning>
I agree that this whole prestige business is pathetic to be honest, and just plain silly. But i do get annoyed with people who think that because i have chosen UCL as my uni that i care about prestige - it's not fair. I have chosen it for my own reasons and because i will fit in best there. I'm just saying i think this whole prestige business has adverse effects if you were to consider both sides of the argument, and it really helps no one.

If you want to practice medicine here then every single medical school is great, and if they weren't then i wouldn't expect the GMC to recognise them - it's pretty simple really.
Reply 8
There's no need for personal attacks on the OP. The question at worst is irrelevant and represents some degree of naivity - and can everyone here say that they never asked a stupid question about med applications? :wink:

Also, the rankings are only totally irrelevant if you are going to work in this country. Once you start looking for jobs in other parts of the world, who's to say how relevant which uni/med school you went to will become. The point about any GMC ratified degree being of internationally-renowned quality may well be true, but don't discount awarding university clout, because it probably does play a part.
Reply 9
Really?! So cambridge and pennisula would theoretically of the same standard? Surely some institutions have reputations of exceeding GMC guidelines thus recognised as "better" medical schools. I thought medicine would be the same as every other subject in this respect :s-smilie:
Reply 10
When you apply for jobs through FTAS (and I believe MTAS) the deanerys/trusts are blinded to which med school you graduate from - so there is no way it can make any difference
Reply 11
"Some 91% of doctors who studied at Oxford University passed the initial part first time, compared to 83% from Cambridge and 62% from Newcastle.

This compared to 32% from Liverpool and 38% from Dundee."

You pass much sooner on average from the "better" ones. Never believe league tables - they're all different, u just have to look things like this.
Reply 12
34 person
^^

Das stimmt.

(I agree)

oh, another German speaker around here:smile:
Reply 13
jeebsa
Really?! So cambridge and pennisula would theoretically of the same standard? Surely some institutions have reputations of exceeding GMC guidelines thus recognised as "better" medical schools. I thought medicine would be the same as every other subject in this respect :s-smilie:

They're different courses, and so emphasise different aspects.
Reply 14
hmmmm, perhaps im just ill-informed :biggrin:. So why are their rankings for this particular course then? Also alot of my friends who were applying for medicine at my school were placing great emphasis on Oxbridge/Imperial, surely there must be a reason why
Vazzyb
"Some 91% of doctors who studied at Oxford University passed the initial part first time, compared to 83% from Cambridge and 62% from Newcastle.

This compared to 32% from Liverpool and 38% from Dundee."

You pass much sooner on average from the "better" ones. Never believe league tables - they're all different, u just have to look things like this.

there's a thead on that already. if you want to make an intelligent comment go there :wink:
jeebsa
hmmmm, perhaps im just ill-informed :biggrin:. So why are their rankings for this particular course then? Also alot of my friends who were applying for medicine at my school were placing great emphasis on Oxbridge/Imperial, surely there must be a reason why

a lot of snobbery and some **** social life. rock on.

sorry that's an isolated comment about my experience staying with some friends at imperial
Reply 17
bright star
there's a thead on that already. if you want to make an intelligent comment go there :wink:

my point is extremely relevant to the thread title 'rankings' - saying that rankings are silly and that other ways of looking at the situation would be more accurate
Reply 18
That website looks at ACADEMIC "prowess."

That has nothing to do with making you a good, competent and yes, clever, doctor!!! It means they have a good (well funded) research department.
Reply 19
arpeggio
There's been a scary increase in the number of medic wannabes looking at rankings/the "most prestigious" universities recently... :s-smilie:
I wonder whether there was a corresponding decrease in birth control 17 years ago?

Latest

Trending

Trending