The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I can't understand the blase attitude towards fees, why would you want to pay more?

People of our parents generation did not pay any fees at all, and got a grant to boot, leaving uni with no debt at all. Nowadays people will quite easily come out owing £30,000 to the SLC.

Don't forget the hike in the interest rate too, you'll be paying off that loan for years.

I don't really see why we deserve less support than our predecessors, especially when those people are expecting us to be the taxpayers supporting them in their retirement.

So not only do we pay loads more for education, but we support the baby boomers through their retirement, then are expected to pay for our own retirement aswell. So we get all the pain but none of the benefits.

Not very fair..!
Reply 21
Zebedee
I can't understand the blase attitude towards fees, why would you want to pay more?

People of our parents generation did not pay any fees at all, and got a grant to boot, leaving uni with no debt at all. Nowadays people will quite easily come out owing £30,000 to the SLC.

Don't forget the hike in the interest rate too, you'll be paying off that loan for years.

I don't really see why we deserve less support than our predecessors, especially when those people are expecting us to be the taxpayers supporting them in their retirement.

So not only do we pay loads more for education, but we support the baby boomers through their retirement, then are expected to pay for our own retirement aswell. So we get all the pain but none of the benefits.

Not very fair..!

True, but facilities, buildings, high-quality education etc do cost money; so I'd rather pay plenty of it, and get a good education and experience, than not pay at all and have a bad experience, with a worse education.
The fact is, in the past, more so than today, university was purely academically focused...a few textbooks, a bit of paper, and a room with desks, along with a few facilities, probably went further than it would today.
Still, if the government made up for the money we're paying, instead of wasting all the money they get, I doubt anyone would complain.
cpj1987
Really? I thought you paid up-front for a PGCE?

Either way, teaching isn't my intended first career, so that GTP wouldn't help me out that much either, really. I want to work in the media industry, but with teaching as a possible future venture; in which case, I may as well just wait to get whatever qualifications I'd need, and save up for the courses.

You get:

-Tuition fee loan of 3070 pounds
-Maintenance Grant of 1230 pounds, plus a further means-tested grant of up to 1535 pounds
-Maintenance loan of up to 5785
-Training bursary of 4000-9000 pounds
Reply 23
no hero in her sky
You get:

-Tuition fee loan of 3070 pounds
-Maintenance Grant of 1230 pounds, plus a further means-tested grant of up to 1535 pounds
-Maintenance loan of up to 5785
-Training bursary of 4000-9000 pounds

Wow, ok...I was sure someone told me that you paid it up front, but then you had your loan repayments from your BSc reduced afterwards.
Reply 24
cpj1987
True, but facilities, buildings, high-quality education etc do cost money; so I'd rather pay plenty of it, and get a good education and experience, than not pay at all and have a bad experience, with a worse education.

Was the quality of education any worse 20, 30 years ago? I don't think so really.

The fact is, in the past, more so than today, university was purely academically focused...a few textbooks, a bit of paper, and a room with desks, along with a few facilities, probably went further than it would today.

Fair point.

Still, if the government made up for the money we're paying, instead of wasting all the money they get, I doubt anyone would complain.

Surely the "problem" is that the government has massively increased the numbers of people going to uni, cannot afford to pay for it and thus as numbers increase is getting students to pay more and more towards their own education.

So, if you were one of those students that would have gone to university anyway before the widening of higher education then the changes have obviously put you out of pocket. However this process has also allowed alot more people to go to uni.

Thing is, thousands of us are up to our eyeballs in debt for this. With the premium on uni education going down i think its right to ask if it is a good thing to encourage so many people to go to uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending