The Student Room Group

uni for graphic design

Hey all,
I applied to graphic design courses/graphic communication at 5 places in london:
metropolitan (BA) graphic design
middlesex (BA) graphic design
st. martins (BA) graphic design
Lcc (FDA) graphic communications
kingston (FDA) graphic communications

do you have any idea which one of them is the strongest one, which one is the hardest to get? and let's say i got accepted in all of them, which one would you choose?

I already got my portfolio and all...
Reply 1
I'm not sure about graphic design, but in general I think St. Martins, Kingston and LCC would be hardest out of those - not sure about the FDA courses though. I visited Kingston on an open day a few weeks ago and it's pretty good - good reputation, dedicated tutors, good facilities. The graphic design studios are pretty spacious, and its end of year show was pretty impressive. It also only accepts first choice route b on its BA courses, which is a good sign. Obviously St. Martins and LCC have awesome reputations because they're part of the University of the Arts London, but not sure what they're like. I haven't heard good things about Metropolitan, though I haven't been there myself. Middlesex sounds pretty good, though I don't think it has the reputation of the others.
I'd go visit them all, if I were you - though I think I'd pick St. Martins or Kingston out of those - St. Martins for the rep, Kingston for everything else. Good luck with your decision!
Reply 2
hey "poodlesheep"!
thank you so much for your reply! It really helped me!
I picked also "bad" universities on my ucas form to make sure i'll get a place somewhere. would you pick FDA course in a good uni or BA course in a "bad" one? the FDA courses are two years and then there is an option to finish the third year with the BA course of graphic design (though not sure i'll get also BA degree).
by the way is it true that at Kingston the amount of student in each class are much smaller than any other university?

Latest