The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
BazTheMoney
Naturally old boy, I mean, surely everyone got one for their 18th birthday?

16th, actually. i got the profits of the sale of my family's country residence in Hertfordshire for my 18th. i think i may nip over to Paris for a spot of shopping, while Daddy isn't too busy.
Reply 21
priya
16th, actually. i got the profits of the sale of my family's country residence in Hertfordshire for my 18th. i think i may nip over to Paris for a spot of shopping, while Daddy isn't too busy.

Surely you can just borrow the helicopter while he's not looking? :tongue:
sbailey
Have you tried the Ionian Islands? That's where I dock the majority of my yachts.

It is a small world. Think of you docking your yachts in my islands...
Reply 23
See, I knew everyone would have a boat!

*attempts to wink but finds he can't, damn these server problems!*
Reply 24
oldthrashbarg
It is a small world. Think of you docking your yachts in my islands...

Congratulations, they're very nice islands - a bit small, but they'll do.
priya
wonder if any people in my college will be Etonites....actually no, they wouldn't apply to Sidney they'd be pooled Etonites :tongue:

Oi!

...yeah...

We have one bloke from Rugby I think. Good enough?

PS Boats? Who needs a boat when you can have a private jet?
Reply 26
MadNatSci
Oi!

...yeah...

I hope you don't mean the kind of jet you find in one of my fleet of spa pools.
Reply 27
priya
wonder if any people in my college will be Etonites....actually no, they wouldn't apply to Sidney they'd be pooled Etonites :tongue:

Not true, we had some a couple of years ago. I also know one going to Harris Manchester, not exactly the brightest star of 'the other place' but he seemed to think it was better than Hatfield College, Durham...

Nicky - who's the one from Rugby?
Reply 28
MadNatSci
Oi!

...yeah...

lol no i'm not dissing sidney in any way, in fact, quite the opposite. etonites would go for larger more well known colleges...if sidney's target area is the north then i'm sure many of the 'stereotypical' etonites would be put off by this...
Reply 29
priya
lol no i'm not dissing sidney in any way, in fact, quite the opposite. etonites would go for larger more well known colleges...if sidney's target area is the north then i'm sure many of the 'stereotypical' etonites would be put off by this...

Is that true that Sidney's target area is the north? I think it's the perceptions of applicants when they choose colleges that create these large and visible trends.
Reply 30
sbailey
Is that true that Sidney's target area is the north? I think it's the perceptions of applicants when they choose colleges that create these large and visible trends.

according to vicki (Ticki) it is...she's already at the college and i assumed she knew this through a reliabe source
Yes, sort of. Although I'm not directly involved yet, the way I understand it the Target scheme allocates regions to colleges where they should focus on making people more aware of what Cambridge has to offer. Sidney's allocated region is the North West.

I'm sure Vicki will correct me if this is wrong! :biggrin:
Reply 32
MadNatSci
Yes, sort of. Although I'm not directly involved yet, the way I understand it the Target scheme allocates regions to colleges where they should focus on making people more aware of what Cambridge has to offer. Sidney's allocated region is the North West.

That's interesting. You learn something new every day!

Is there any way of finding out which area my college targets? (St Johns) If someone replies with a sarcy comment, well I'll....
sbailey
That's interesting. You learn something new every day!

Is there any way of finding out which area my college targets? (St Johns) If someone replies with a sarcy comment, well I'll....

How about 'no comment'? :wink:

There's probably a website somewhere... I'll see Vicki today, I'll ask her then.
Reply 34
MadNatSci

We've got Tower Hamlets I think. I would love to do access work but think I'm really not the sort who would convince them that Cambridge is open to everyone :redface:
Helenia
We've got Tower Hamlets I think. I would love to do access work but think I'm really not the sort who would convince them that Cambridge is open to everyone :redface:

Very, very poor excuse. :rolleyes: I did access work for Oxford, I'm hardly a state schooler, innit? :tongue:
Reply 36
BazTheMoney
Very, very poor excuse. :rolleyes: I did access work for Oxford, I'm hardly a state schooler, innit? :tongue:

You really think they'd want me? I'd just be paranoid of appearing blatantly obviously as what I am - a white, middle-class, semi-rural private school girl. Hardly the type they're working to attract. What sort of stuff did you do, and do you really think it worked?
Reply 37
Helenia
You really think they'd want me? I'd just be paranoid of appearing blatantly obviously as what I am - a white, middle-class, semi-rural private school girl. Hardly the type they're working to attract. What sort of stuff did you do, and do you really think it worked?

There's a guy in my college who is very much anti-access. He and a friend at Kings want to found a state school student outreach society called Access Denied. It's funny, but only because it hopefully could never come to fruition!
Helenia

I'm the same, but Vicki has convinced me that it's worth it. At the end of the day you just have to be normal and friendly and I'm sure you could manage that! :biggrin:

Also it might help demolish the stereotypes people have of private schoolers...
Reply 39
Why is it important to own a boat if your at Cambridge? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending