The Student Room Group

Repeating first year

I'm in my first year and due to illness within my family and also personal issues I have missed a lot of uni from December onwards, I'm really far behind with work, have missed a deadline for my coursework and I feel like I haven't really learnt anything. Getting the chance to study at uni has been a dream come true (I'm a mature student) and I feel so guilty about my current situation. In about 3 hours I have a meeting with my senior tutor that I requested and I'm considering asking her about the possibilty of repeating the first year. I really love the Uni itself and the course I'm doing so I really don't want to transfer. Can anyone on here who has repeated their first year or been in a similar situation to mine give me any advice? If you repeat a year did you go through the university itself or did you have to go through UCAS again? Has anyone been refused to repeat the first year? Any experiences or advice I would be truly greatful for as I just feel so nervous at the moment about my future.

Thanks very much to any who reply.
Hey,

my housemate repeated her first year as she was quite ill for a long period of time (don't want to go into details as it's not my place to say) but as far as i know she went through the university.

Obviously i don't know the whole story with you but it sounds like missing one deadline isn't really grounds for repeating a whole year... they might ask you to reset that particular piece over the summer or during your second year. As for being behind on other work, they may grant you an extension if you have mitigating circumstances or they will help you work through it and catch up.

Don't feel bad about it, things happen in our lives that we can't control but aslong as you are open with your lecturers and support staff then they will do their upmost to help you get back to where you feel more comfortable.

I hope the meeting went well :-)