The Student Room Group
Reply 1
aahahahaha

Never mind you'll always get people like that. :tongue:
Reply 2
Who the heck told you that?

Geoscience is probably one of the more daunting sciences really, despite the fact A-level geology exists it isn't very near to what the nature of the subject is like at uni level... you draw upon three sciences, including maths... not to mention the sheer amount minerals and processes you have to remember and link to one another.

Then there's stuff like geophysics or geochemistry which are pretty complex subjects...

I would suggest you tell them off for such a silly assumption :p:
Reply 3
My friends still call Natural Sciences "GCSE Science".

Remember, you can only tease people you love.
Well, when you compare it to other courses (some might say more academic courses) the workload is significantly smaller and the depth and amount of material which has to be learned is also significantly less. Its largely an arts course, not a degree in medicine or law.

Personally i have a friend doing Geography and Geoscience. They only have about 2 days of solid lectures and/or practicals per week, of these they're normally spread out about a few hours per day and they normally start at the very earliest 10, but normally 11 or 12. The rest of the time they have a paying job, play sports and generally get drunk.

On the other hand i work 9-5 every day with lectures, practicals and tutorials. Plus, in the hols i have to do work experience otherwise i don't get my degree as well as revising for exams because we don't have time to have reading weeks. Geography and geoscience don't really compare.

At my uni the geographers are said to have enrolled on the advanced colouring course (they even managed to get sponsored by Crayola one year for their hoodies).
Reply 5
ch0c0h01ic
Well, when you compare it to other courses (some might say more academic courses) the workload is significantly smaller and the depth and amount of material which has to be learned is also significantly less. Its largely an arts course, not a degree in medicine or law.

Personally i have a friend doing Geography and Geoscience. They only have about 2 days of solid lectures and/or practicals per week, of these they're normally spread out about a few hours per day and they normally start at the very earliest 10, but normally 11 or 12. The rest of the time they have a paying job, play sports and generally get drunk.

On the other hand i work 9-5 every day with lectures, practicals and tutorials. Plus, in the hols i have to do work experience otherwise i don't get my degree as well as revising for exams because we don't have time to have reading weeks. Geography and geoscience don't really compare.

At my uni the geographers are said to have enrolled on the advanced colouring course (they even managed to get sponsored by Crayola one year for their hoodies).

Aren't you a VetMed student? You could say the exact same thing for any other degree course in your shoes :p:
Reply 6
"Rocks are rocks". That's what people say when they don't have to describe them in both hand specimen and thin section, and basically know everything about them. A rock soon becomes more than just a rock. Then you have all the chemistry/physics/biology too.

It's a bit like saying "maths, isn't that just counting?" or something along those lines.
Reply 7
The worst is when you say you study Politics:

"Oh so you want to be a politician?"
Reply 8
TheOneWho
"Rocks are rocks". That's what people say when they don't have to describe them in both hand specimen and thin section, and basically know everything about them. A rock soon becomes more than just a rock. Then you have all the chemistry/physics/biology too.

It's a bit like saying "maths, isn't that just counting?" or something along those lines.

Well, calculus is all just stones...
Reply 9
ch0c0h01ic

If it truly an easy subject in comparison to medicine or law then sum it up for us in a few words. What is geography.
ali567149
If it truly an easy subject in comparison to medicine or law then sum it up for us in a few words. What is geography.

The topic which changes the world in which you abuse and live in. :mad:
Reply 11
Honestly, the more I delve into petrology and mineralogy the more I realise how useful and useless it is :erm:

I also find it more confusing than physical geology, but maybe that's because I'm a lot more familiar with physics than chemistry...
the thing ive thought about geology so far is that its not at all ahrd to understand everything, you just have to memorise everything which is the ahrd bit. Its the lesson i use to shut down my brain!
and there is a hell of a lot of drawing involved!
Yep, my maths teacher jokes with people when they say they want to do geography at uni "Oh, going to spend 3 years colouring in are we?"...

Theres always people like that, you just have to learn to ignore them, they arent studying it, so they dont know the true extent of the work involved.

Latest

Trending

Trending