The Student Room Group
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester

MMU or Salford University

i have applied for Business Information Technology in Manchester Metropolitan and in University of Salfrod and got places in both, as well as that i am confident that i will get the grades required.
But am not sure which university is better for this BIT subject and better in terms of reputation..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Salford...even though MMU has a resonable Business/IT department it is still seen by employers as a university where people who just want to party go.
Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester
Reply 2
MMU is a lot more central to Manchester and the business school is actually pretty impressive. The accomodation is probably a lot better too. I hear nightmare stories about Salford being dog rough.
Reply 3
It really isn't that bad -- not only that getting into manchester from salford is 6 minutes on the train.
Reply 4
well am not really moving out and i have been to MMU's open day and it was ok and salford's open day is on sunday 24 fec so then i'll see which one was better..

I'll just have to wait and then see ...thanks for replying anyways :smile:
Reply 5
Salford is also very central and living costs are a lot cheaper (if you were to move out). Salford also has a nice campus atmosphere's which makes it a very friendly place.
Reply 6
salford is better, cheaper place an better accomodation
Salford..I heard bad things about tuition at MMU.
lol at people who think salford is better than mmu, ive been to both and it's not in my opinion
Reply 9
very true!!

since both uni have almost the same entry pt median.

think about salfordis 60's university and mmu is 90'.

so salford is not working hard at all comparing to the other 60's unis, like bath ,warwick....

and mmu is up and coming!!!!!!

the rest is location location and location, mmu win and will win further(unless the whole campus move to salford). one more thing, mmu all the time is top ten most popular uni choice for those ucas applicants.
Reply 10
MMU are one of the most popular, but they also have a much higher drop out rate than Salford.

Also living costs at Salford are much lower, and its still only 15 mins walk to the Arndale centre.

Salford is still higher than MMU in most the league tables but obviously it depends on the subject, MMU is better for some subjects, Salford is better than some. It is all a matter of choice, I personally loved the campus aspect of Salford it is a lot more friendly than MMU which is spread out all over the place.
Reply 11
yes u r right in terms of drop out rate, when man u is 92.3
salford is 78.9 and mmu is 78.8 but salford's environment is not pleasant at all compare to the city campus of mmu.
Reply 12
Have you ever been to Salford's campus? I've spent a long long time on both.
AT82
MMU are one of the most popular, but they also have a much higher drop out rate than Salford.
One of my friends who graduated from MMU had some strange experiences such as living in halls with people who couldn't speak English and lecturers not knowing what to teach.
kk8899

since both uni have almost the same entry

You can't evaluate an uni just on what grades they ask for, I went to a uni (which I dropped out from) which put 2 Cs in its prospects but actually let in anyone which the minimum requirements by law (2 Es).
Reply 14
eubacterium

how do u know salford is not doing the same thing or have the same type of teaching?? since they also have some dept asking for very very low grade too, so be fair.
also, see the NSS. salford is not a particularly satisfied uni from the pt of their final yr student.
Reply 15
What does that mean in English?

The fact is MMU is in better area (such as the perception) therefore its entry standards should be a lot higher than Salford's.

The reason it is so popular is its because its the easiest way you can study in a very popular city called Manchester.
Reply 16
so according to ur logic,

aston should ask for much higher grade than that in birmingham
and london met should be the top 5 most popular uni(or even higher since they r in london) too?? lol
Reply 17
kk8899
salford's environment is not pleasant at all compare to the city campus of mmu.

Only if you like being in big cities.
Just because *you* didn't like it, doesn't mean everybody will.

Don't show opinion as fact.
Reply 18
sorry to say, it is a fact!! amsking.

and this forum is for showing personal opinion and nothing wrong with it at all. or should i just showing "urs feeling" as mine!!
Reply 19
No, it's not a fact.

Your opinion is that the city centre-based campus of Man Met is better than the [in the case of the main campus] a park-based campus.
There are some people who'd disagree with that. And as someone who has been through both environments [Salford because I study there and ManMet because many of my friends do] I prefer the Salford layout.

You are quite right, there's nothing wrong with showing personal opinion - that is what this forum is for - but saying somewhere is "not pleasant at all" is not the same as saying "I don't find it pleasant".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending