The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I may not be the most appropriate authority on the 'club scene', but for those who are interested in that scene there are never many complaints. There's by no means a "lack" of clubs and bars, cafes, restaurants, theatres (etc) and student events to fill any diary. There are many overlapping 'worlds' at Cambridge; different experiences that each student will mould out of the possibilities available. You could base your entire time here around talks on Jurisprudence and international relations and certainly have something to do each evening -it's a misnomer to suggest that Cambridge is a culture-void.
Reply 2
Yeah... I'm not really a big club-goer. In any case, the clubs here are much better than any I had back at home. Many people forget that not everybody lives in a city.
* Cantabridgians :p:

Doesn't bother me. There's far more events in colleges and so on than at other places. Other unis might have a student union or bar; we've got 32 :wink:
Reply 4
FadeToBlackout
* Cantabridgians :p:

* Cantabrigians :wink:
Reply 5
ninety_nine
does the lack of clubs and bars (as opposed to traditonal uni-cities such as newcastle and manchester) not annoy you? or is the more laid back environment part of the reason you chose Cambridge?

is it a myth that Oxford has more of a nightlife? hopefully some oxonians will respond so it won't be completely biased :rolleyes:

Surely if anywhere in the country is a "traditional uni city" it's Oxford and Cambridge? I'd also hardly call Cambridge laid back.

Oxford has a few more clubs etc, but compared with big cities it's still pretty poor, I gather. I've enjoyed my time in Cambridge though - my hometown has NO clubs, so even Cindies was a revelation! Sure, there could be more variety, but most people anywhere end up going to the same few places in the end anyway. There are actually lots of trendy bar-places, they're just not very studenty - the college bars are the place to be for that, and most of them are pretty good.

Nightlife wasn't really high on my agenda when picking universities, but even if it had been I don't think I'd have been too disappointed with here.
Reply 6
London is 50mins away on the train, and students don't really have enough time to be going out so frequently that it would grow too expensive. I go to London once a week for climbing.
ninety_nine
... or is the more laid back environment part of the reason you chose Cambridge?:rolleyes:

...laid back?

Come here, get involved in some proper extra-curriculars, do enough work to appease your supervisors, sleep a half-decent amount... then see if you have time for nightlife. Admittedly in their first term nobody has properly settled into other activities besides studying so they tend to spend a lot of their free time getting drunk, but after that you'll be so busy with other stuff to even think about clubbing.

Oh and as far as other cultural stuff goes... the week after next has no less than thirteen separate student theatre productions on.
Reply 8
People here seem to be suggesting that there isn't a night life. That's just not true, Cambridge has plenty of opportunities for going out and getting battered and in some ways in much more hardcore than traditional 'party' universities. There is pretty much something on every single night of the week and I know a fair few people that have spent their first year going out pretty much every night.
CamRob
People here seem to be suggesting that there isn't a night life. That's just not true, Cambridge has plenty of opportunities for going out and getting battered and in some ways in much more hardcore than traditional 'party' universities. There is pretty much something on every single night of the week and I know a fair few people that have spent their first year going out pretty much every night.

Ditto. There is so much going on, and the colleges run stuff on Friday and Saturday nights as well which saves you going out when it's really busy. To give an idea of the most popular nights:

Monday: Fat Poppadaddys at Fez (big mixture of music, very good)
Tuesday: Cindies is pretty good (student night, lots of current music)
Wednesday: Cindies is full of cheese music, Kambar can be good too
Thursday: International night at Cindies, Secret Disco at Soul Tree
Friday: King's, Clare and Queens generally have music in their bars
Saturday: Ditto to the above
Sunday: LGBT at Life?
Reply 10
Sunday = Vod Revs too
Tuesday was LGBT - Life was the Sunday Service, which is ending this week and being replaced with something after Easter.
Reply 12
For the more alternate minded, there is Wake up Screaming/The Calling at the Kambar on Tuesdays and MAS/The Graduate on Fridays!
Such nights would be fantastic Nichrome, if i had friends that would set foot in such places.
Reply 14
Come along anyway, I'll be your friend! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Wednesday is international at Fez, it's quite good, all sorts of spanishy carnival music, very dance-to-able and fun :smile: but it only gets going quite late

Latest

Trending

Trending