The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

sarCAZm
I have never encountered so many "left wing" folk in my poor sheltered little life

I've never encountered so many "right-wing" folk in my whole life.

Seriously, I'm not having a pop - TSR is far more right wing than an average sample of teenagers. I very rarely encounter people my own age with Conservative/Libertarian/general Right-Wing views, unless it is inarticulate anti-government/anti-immigration babble. This place is full of them. I really think TSR is more right-wing than would be expected, certainly not more left-wing.
Reply 61
Overground

I've never encountered so many "atheist" folk in my whole life.
Absinth

Exactly. Well the majority of people I know probably haven't even thought about it. I am a Christian, but a tolerant one. I never preach or try to convert people, but I argue with atheists' points sometimes. I find a lot of them very intolerant and narrow-minded. I have even received a couple neg reps with comments along the lines of 'God does not exist, you are stupid'. I have no problem with atheists who have made conscious choice and are capable of coherent debate, but a lot of the atheists on these boards and intolerant and bigoted, character traits that they whitewash 'religion' with and dismiss it for these reasons. I think there is a tendency both here and generally to be an atheist because it is cool, or because 'i saw sum fing on channl 5 and dese christians h8d gays, tht is wel sad'. Please open your eyes.
Reply 63
Overground
Exactly. Well the majority of people I know probably haven't even thought about it. I am a Christian, but a tolerant one. I never preach or try to convert people, but I argue with atheists' points sometimes. I find a lot of them very intolerant and narrow-minded. I have even received a couple neg reps with comments along the lines of 'God does not exist, you are stupid'. I have no problem with atheists who have made conscious choice and are capable of coherent debate, but a lot of the atheists on these boards and intolerant and bigoted, character traits that they whitewash 'religion' with and dismiss it for these reasons. I think there is a tendency both here and generally to be an atheist because it is cool, or because 'i saw sum fing on channl 5 and dese christians h8d gays, tht is wel sad'. Please open your eyes.

Indeed. I remember reading a thread titled "Christianity sickens me". However, that was (hopefully) just a troll. Unfortunately the atheists who respect other people's opinions are probably overlooked.
The thing about TSR and real life people is that on TSR I dont really remember anyones name (their username atleast)
I could have had a 'conversation' with them previously and 10 minutes later not have a clue who they are, yet in real life I still remember names of people in primary school that ive never spoken to and stuff like that.
Absinth

I remember someone doing a poll not that long ago to try and find out if there was a link between academia and atheism.
Reply 66
jess_17_07
I remember someone doing a poll not that long ago to try and find out if there was a link between academia and atheism.

I vaguely remember that too.
Reply 67
Overground

Seriously, I'm not having a pop - TSR is far more right wing than an average sample of teenagers. I very rarely encounter people my own age with Conservative/Libertarian/general Right-Wing views, unless it is inarticulate anti-government/anti-immigration babble. This place is full of them. Then again, I do live in South Birmingham. I really think TSR is more right-wing than would be expected, certainly not more left-wing.

really. I have only come into contact with Lefties here :s-smilie: ish.
I am not used to it, seeing as at my school or home, the usual conversation topics range from David Cameron's ideas on benefits, to who's making the next pot of tea XD
sarCAZm
really. I have only come into contact with Lefties here :s-smilie: ish.
I am not used to it, seeing as at my school or home, the usual conversation topics range from David Cameron's ideas on benefits, to who's making the next pot of tea XD

Cause you live in Peterbrough.
Kater Murr
For example, this is how I feel about TSR people:

I hold < 5% in high regard.
I like approx. 30% of people.
I find approx. 60% sometimes questionable, though deep down decent people.
I dislike < 10% people.

Which one am I in. :p: :biggrin:
Reply 70
Speedbird2008
Which one am I in. :p: :biggrin:

I don't really know you well enough to place you, but if anything, you'd be liked, because of that day on teenchat.com :smile:.
Kater Murr
I don't really know you well enough to place you, but if anything, you'd be liked, because of that day on teenchat.com :smile:.

Haha, lol, I forgot about that. :redface: :biggrin:
Reply 72
i think I get on with people better face to face.. I probably come off a bit more opinionated, confident and arrogant online to be honest, when I'm actually pretty shy in person. (that said, I dont shut up when around mates I suppse)
I usually get along with about 80% of people I meet in real life. On TSR though, I don't really know anybody that well but would presume that I'd get along with about 30% of people...especially the ones who post with such humour. I'd probably dislike 1% of people here. Nobody on the boards really strikes me as "annoying".
Reply 74
ColinOfEdinburgh
People here can be a bit intense. I guess that's the internet though.

My thoughts exactly.
I rarely have opinions for people on online forums, no offense :P I guess it's because I've actually met a couple people who I'd spoken to on a forum before, and they were nothing like I expected. To be honest if you saw me you probably wouldn't think of me as a 'forum posting/internet' guy, people get so shocked when I tell them I built my computer!

I mean, some people make some posts which might be a bit stupid, or I just don't agree with them, but that doesn't mean to say that I wouldn't like them if I met them in real life. The only way I'd form an opinion on someone is if I spoke them 1 to 1 on MSN or something for a while.

In all honesty, I get on with most people in real life. The only people I don't tend to the like are the 'extremes', so that means extreme chavs, extreme emos, extreme indie kids...they're not interesting because they're so predictable!
Reply 76
Well I've only just signed up but have been hanging around for a while and it seems to me that there are some 'famous' people who are all clever, smart and genuine liked by all. But then (without naming anybody)there are also those users that nobody seems to like. And, obviously, most of the forum are just .. normal.

So, in summary, I would say that there are the elite few, the a***holes and the 'norms'. Maybe 10%, 10% 80%?
Reply 77
Kater Murr
For example, this is how I feel about TSR people:

I hold < 5% in high regard.
I like approx. 30% of people.
I find approx. 60% sometimes questionable, though deep down decent people.
I dislike < 10%.

I feel thereabouts the same about people in real life, though I find that my standards on TSR are higher - i.e. people that I would merely 'like' on TSR, I might respect even more in real life, probably for a number of reasons.

Whut about you?

I'm talking proportions here, by the way. Proportions, people.

I'd say the same proportions apply for me. I think I'd like most people more in real life though; because in my case I'm exactly the same person online and offline, very strong-minded and self-confident with strong beliefs. Whilst these don't show so much offline because I don't get into as many serious discussions, I'm VERY opinionated online and I think I come across as being more arrogant or harsh than I would in real life.
Reply 78
TSR=equal and nice
Real Life= unfair and a bitch
At first I thought in general everyone was pretty cool. But eventually you realise almost everyone is here for a reason, particularly the subs, and that results in a high percentage of really weird and slightly ****** up people.

Latest

Trending

Trending