The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aky786UK
I was thinking about Yaris ages ago but felt maybe the insurance and the costs might rule it out. How's it going for you in terms of costs with insurance etc and the reliability?

It's a toyota don't worry about the reliability factor
Original post by 00N
£1,595: 2001 Vauxhall Corsa 1.2L 16V Comfort 5dr Hatchback
54,000 miles....

= what do you guys think??????

hmm an 11 year old car on only 54k...
Original post by ophqui
how is everyone in this thread spending 3-4k on their first car? what the hell are you people doing with 4000 sitting about when you are presumeably under 25 or so? i thought i was splashing out spending 300 and i work full time!

student loans lol...
Original post by hypercaine.
I really like Fiat 500s and the interior looks awesome but theyre really pricey, insurance is fairly cheap but what you save on insurance you lose on the price of the car :frown:

But their fuel consumption is incredibly low, as is their road tax - low emissions - you'll save money in the long run
Original post by cl_steele
i want a car that it doesnt matter if i prang it up a bit prefferebly pretty sturdy so i was thinking an old landrover defender? theyre relatively cheap and have plenty of room to stick all my crap in, what do y'all think ?:smile:

That'll eat through petrol.... plus high road tax, especially if it is old.
If you don't mind spending a lot on petrol though go for it
Reply 2525
Original post by redferry
But their fuel consumption is incredibly low, as is their road tax - low emissions - you'll save money in the long run

I have a Fiat 500, for what it is it definitely doesn't have low fuel consumption. In fact mine does drink quite a bit for a small car especially considering it is only a 0.9l car :tongue: Low road tax? Yup most of them do but you can get cheaper cars with the same level of road tax :biggrin:

Simple economics, low or free tax isn't going to save you that much if you have a high upfront cost. Unless you drive the car everyday into the London Congestion Charge Zone, or you work in a place that mandates you to have a low emission car, you're normally better off with a standard normal small car :biggrin:

Original post by user1111
It's a toyota don't worry about the reliability factor

Never buy a car just because it is a certain marque, even if it is a Toyota doesn't mean every single one of them will be reliable. Japanese car parts aren't cheap mind you :smile:

Original post by cl_steele
i want a car that it doesnt matter if i prang it up a bit prefferebly pretty sturdy so i was thinking an old landrover defender? theyre relatively cheap and have plenty of room to stick all my crap in, what do y'all think ?:smile:

An old Discovery is better than a Defender for everyday usage, Defenders are uncomfortable and rather spartan on the inside. Having said that newer Defenders aren't cheap to insure. Also one thing to note is if you have an older one they are quite easy to steal.

Discoverys aren't bad vehicles by design, they get the bad rep mostly due to poor QC issues and for the most part when they are sold it is usually sold by someone who can no longer afford to maintain it or it is already too tired a car.
Original post by Herr
I have a Fiat 500, for what it is it definitely doesn't have low fuel consumption. In fact mine does drink quite a bit for a small car especially considering it is only a 0.9l car :tongue: Low road tax? Yup most of them do but you can get cheaper cars with the same level of road tax :biggrin:

My mum had one until recently and had the same petrol consumption than my KA. And it is a much nicer car. And has lower road tax.
Reply 2527
I came across a real gem of a first car.
Vauxhall Corsa, 1.4 16v 14 years old, only had one owner from new and only 38,000 miles! spent most of its life in a garage. It genuinely is a great little car, i mainly just use it for going to school, so light that its really nippy and runs perfectly, literally everything works, just fitted a newer radio so i can plug my ipod in. All for £600 pounds :biggrin: oh and its purple :colonhash:
Reply 2528
Original post by quid
I bought a 2004 (04) Fiat Panda as my first car, and haven't looked back. Got a bit of banter from the lads at school when I first told them but they soon realised what a reliable and easy to drive car it is. Plenty of room for 4 students and limited luggage and beverages. Drives really well, gearbox is, I find, in a better place. Easy to keep clean and they tend to keep their value if well looked after as there is a market for these things amongst the older population :wink:

I really like the panda...
redferry

Original post by Herr

Simple economics, low or free tax isn't going to save you that much if you have a high upfront cost. Unless you drive the car everyday into the London Congestion Charge Zone, or you work in a place that mandates you to have a low emission car, you're normally better off with a standard normal small car :biggrin:

I just like the way they look, especially the interior :tongue:

Spoiler

To be honest I'm happy with my KA, it cost next to nothing, uses hardly any fuel and it doesn't matter is I bash it about (Not that I've ever had an incident in it). Although the one thing I do worry about is safety =/ but hopefully I will never have a serious crash.
Reply 2531
Original post by Hanvyj
I really like the panda...

Same here, it is a really good car for what it is. Funny enough for a Fiat it has very good residual value where Fiats are known for utter crap when it comes to that. Reliability is fairly good too, had one some years back and can't say I was unhappy with it, only thing I didn't care for is the boxy look.

Original post by hypercaine.
I just like the way they look, especially the interior :tongue:

Spoiler

That is a US market model, the European version doesn't come with that automatic gearbox, armrest and damn it why can't it have a glovebox as well.

To be honest I'm happy with my KA, it cost next to nothing, uses hardly any fuel and it doesn't matter is I bash it about (Not that I've ever had an incident in it). Although the one thing I do worry about is safety =/ but hopefully I will never have a serious crash.

It isn't a bad car, plus it is cheap to maintain and operate. Only thing I don't like about it is the styling.

My mum had one until recently and had the same petrol consumption than my KA. And it is a much nicer car. And has lower road tax.

Why did she get rid of it and what did she replace it with?
Original post by Herr

It isn't a bad car, plus it is cheap to maintain and operate. Only thing I don't like about it is the styling.

Why did she get rid of it and what did she replace it with?

The one bad thing about it (the KA) is it only has 2 back seats.

She got rid of it because we got two very large dogs and they didn't really fit in it so well, so I doubt you'll have that problem! I think she misses it a lot, she had a soft-top and all

She replaced it with the monstrosity that is the Fiat Qubo, but at least it is practical
Reply 2533
Original post by Herr
Same here, it is a really good car for what it is. Funny enough for a Fiat it has very good residual value where Fiats are known for utter crap when it comes to that. Reliability is fairly good too, had one some years back and can't say I was unhappy with it, only thing I didn't care for is the boxy look.

Yeah, it does look hideous - and i'm a sucker for style in cars...
Reply 2534

She got rid of it because we got two very large dogs and they didn't really fit in it so well, so I doubt you'll have that problem! I think she misses it a lot, she had a soft-top and all

She replaced it with the monstrosity that is the Fiat Qubo, but at least it is practical

Oh god, thats is an awful looking car... Reminds me of the multipla - which I always called the "flabcar" as it looks like its got a roll of fat.

Looks similar to the Berlingo, father-in-law had one of those and it was very practical. Basically a van but with seats.
Original post by Hanvyj
Oh god, thats is an awful looking car... Reminds me of the multipla - which I always called the "flabcar" as it looks like its got a roll of fat.

Looks similar to the Berlingo, father-in-law had one of those and it was very practical. Basically a van but with seats.

Yeah the dogs love it, my mum doesn't so much lol
Reply 2536

Oh dear......

But I understand the problem..... I have a St Bernard. Hope that 2 very large dogs are appreciating the space :smile:
Reply 2537
guys, help me out, what do you think of this car,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204444814673/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/price-from/1000/quantity-of-doors/5/model/fiesta/make/ford/page/2/radius/10/postcode/b66hj?logcode=p

its a ford fiesta 1.3, i called the guy up and he goes its in mint condition, drives "bang on", has all documents and etc..... thoughts please, i want to check it out......
Reply 2538
Original post by 00N
guys, help me out, what do you think of this car,

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204444814673/sort/priceasc/usedcars/engine-size-cars/1l_to_1-3l/price-from/1000/quantity-of-doors/5/model/fiesta/make/ford/page/2/radius/10/postcode/b66hj?logcode=p

its a ford fiesta 1.3, i called the guy up and he goes its in mint condition, drives "bang on", has all documents and etc..... thoughts please, i want to check it out......

Looks like a bargain, I'd wanna know when the MOT is due to expire though.
Reply 2539
Original post by Yawn11
Looks like a bargain, I'd wanna know when the MOT is due to expire though.

it says its got 12months mot, so doesnt seem to bad, ....why do you say that, anything wrong?

Latest

Trending

Trending