Announcements Posted on
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    had my first lesson today, and I've got a clio waiting for when i pass
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndiaCaitlinn)
    had my first lesson today, and I've got a clio waiting for when i pass
    had my too, I was nervous though however, it just went away and I pretty much enjoyed my first lesson even though I went off the clutch way to quick on my first and second gears, how did your's go on?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know when u have ur first driving lesson did u go on the main road after going round a block like 6 times? because my instructor said "right ur going on the main road now" I was thinking to my self okay, but are u sure? ever happened to anyone by chance? and what do I do about my clutch as I seem to take it off really quick on my 1st and 2nd gears? (I really don't want this to become a habbit, even though it was my first lesson today, still)

sorry for the very long reading

Thanks
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim12345)
    had my too, I was nervous though however, it just went away and I pretty much enjoyed my first lesson even though I went off the clutch way to quick on my first and second gears, how did your's go on?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to know when u have ur first driving lesson did u go on the main road after going round a block like 6 times? because my instructor said "right ur going on the main road now" I was thinking to my self okay, but are u sure? ever happened to anyone by chance? and what do I do about my clutch as I seem to take it off really quick on my 1st and 2nd gears? (I really don't want this to become a habbit, even though it was my first lesson today, still)

Thanks
    Hey mine was great! I got up to 4th gear and went round some
    Mini round abouts on a quiet road my instructor said my clutch control was pretty good.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey mine was great! I got up to 4th gear and went round some
    Mini round abouts on a quiet road my instructor said my clutch control was pretty good.
    I did the same as u got upto the 4th gear, however, went passed some mni round abouts bu my instructor said to befcare of my clutch so I have alot to do on that

which company are u learning off if u don't mind me asking?
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    I did the same as u got upto the 4th gear, however, went passed some mni round abouts bu my instructor said to befcare of my clutch so I have alot to do on that

which company are u learning off if u don't mind me asking?
    Apollo - I think it might be an independent one in my town
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Apollo - I think it might be an independent one in my town
    am with BSM only reason why is cos I have the same instructor my mum had 10 years back! sounds odd but I find myself lucky cos my mum siad he is really good

Apollo is really good too, my friend passed her's two weeks ago and trust me its a realyy good company byt it depends on what instructor u have got (not putting u off or anything)

I'll be posting every so often on this thread, u'll never know if we have the same question

well good luck for ur next driving lesson!
    best of luck
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    am with BSM only reason why is cos I have the same instructor my mum had 10 years back! sounds odd but I find myself lucky cos my mum siad he is really good

Apollo is really good too, my friend passed her's two weeks ago and trust me its a realyy good company byt it depends on what instructor u have got (not putting u off or anything)

I'll be posting every so often on this thread, u'll never know if we have the same question

well good luck for ur next driving lesson!
    best of luck
    Ahh cool thats good then!
    My instructor seems really good so fingers crossed I'll pass first time!
    Thank you, you too!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking into buying a second hand Ford Fiesta Zetec, 3 door, 1.25 engine, 2009 model. It's only had one owner and has done about 17000 miles. And it's silver

What think you people?
    I know nothing about cars
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    im searching for my 1st car, so far im thinking Rover 25, cheapest quote i got was 1.6k (only used comparison sites only so far). I was messing around with many cars and was quotes 2k for a land rover freelander. What do you guys think about rover 25 as first car? ps im looking to spend £1000 or less
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sundogs)
    Hi everyone,
    I'm looking into buying a second hand Ford Fiesta Zetec, 3 door, 1.25 engine, 2009 model. It's only had one owner and has done about 17000 miles. And it's silver

What think you people?
    I know nothing about cars
    The Fiesta 1.25 makes a good first car, either in it's newest form or one of it's older forms. If you can afford it, go for it.

I possibly wouldn't go for one as new as that as a first car, but that's entirely up to you.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GTAMADDOG)
    The Fiesta 1.25 makes a good first car, either in it's newest form or one of it's older forms. If you can afford it, go for it.

I possibly wouldn't go for one as new as that as a first car, but that's entirely up to you.
    Thanks for your advice!
    I'm going for a newer one so that it will last really, I'm at university most of the time and will need it for holidays and once a fortnight at weekends. I'm hoping it will last for at least 3-5 years.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you could choose between these two cars and colours, which would you pick?

1. Vauxhall Astra SRi (New) (Red - Metallic)
    2. Seat Leon SE Copa (New) (Red - Non-Metallic) OR (Black - Metallic)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGodfather1)
    im searching for my 1st car, so far im thinking Rover 25, cheapest quote i got was 1.6k (only used comparison sites only so far). I was messing around with many cars and was quotes 2k for a land rover freelander. What do you guys think about rover 25 as first car? ps im looking to spend £1000 or less
    Don't get a Freelander. My uncle is a Land Rover mechanic by trade and apparently they are nothing but trouble. Plus a 90 or discovery is so much better looking and more reliable!

Rover 25 is a good first car. Only thing to look out for is gearbox problems and head gasket failures. A couple of electrical issues but nothing to worry about really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ahh cool thats good then!
    My instructor seems really good so fingers crossed I'll pass first time!
    Thank you, you too!
    my plesaure
    and thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    toyota yaris..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Hi everyone,

Thanks
    Heyyy, congrats on what may be a very long but worthy journey to passing and then driving independently.

It is normal for any decent instructor to let you have a taste of the main road on your first lesson but it does depend on how familar and comfortable you seem to grasp the cluth and gearing system.

When it comes to the cluth, just remember to come up slowly between gears, and when your about to get going again , theres no rush and the car is sure to stall if you don't
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Born'nBred)
    Heyyy, congrats on what may be a very long but worthy journey to passing and then driving independently.

It is normal for any decent instructor to let you have a taste of the main road on your first lesson but it does depend on how familar and comfortable you seem to grasp the cluth and gearing system.

When it comes to the cluth, just remember to come up slowly between gears, and when your about to get going again , theres no rush and the car is sure to stall if you don't
    I haven't passed just yet but yep I need to be calm with the cluth
    thanks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i passed on friday

im insured on my parents VW passat now... and its fast
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I have no way to go on a parents etc insurance and I will be passing my test by the end of the summer (hopefully) is it reasonable to expect to be able to pay £1000-£2000 for a car and no more than £3000 for insurance?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    If I have no way to go on a parents etc insurance and I will be passing my test by the end of the summer (hopefully) is it reasonable to expect to be able to pay £1000-£2000 for a car and no more than £3000 for insurance?
    Perfectly reasonable. Anything more for insurance would be a rip-off.

Put your parents and girlfriend as named drivers on your policy, it should bring it down.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 21, 2014
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.